• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • Member No: 10411
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 12:52 AM

Couldn't find a snow plow locally for a decent price (i.e. cheap!) so I decided to make my own. Found a Blade that my grandfather had made from a hot water tank and some angle iron, but it was too far gone and wasn't straight. Kept the angle plate off of it to use on the new blade, and scrapped the rest. I started with some 4" x 1/4" flat bar and rough cut 4 plow ribs with a torch. Then, I ground each one to shape with a grinder. I took one to a local HVAC company, and they rolled a piece of 18 Gauge steel sheet to fit the curve of the rib. I then welded the ribs to a piece of 1/4" x 2" angle iron on the bottom, and a smaller 1/8" x 1" angle iron at the top. Once the basic frame was made, I welded the skin on. The pushframe was made from salvaged steel my grandfather and father gave me. The subframe slides into the mule drive slot on my suburban, and pins to the rear mower deck hanger. It is very easy to install or remove. I have also begun working on an angle rod that will allow me to pivot the blade from my seat, much like a craftsman snow blade setup. I have a lot of "detail" stuff to finish, but the finish line is in sight!

100_4613.jpg
100_4928.jpg
100_4926.jpg
100_4924.jpg
100_4916.jpg
100_4930.jpg

More pictures here.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by MH81, December 28, 2014 - 10:44 PM.

• MH81, middleageddeere, JDBrian and 1 other said thanks

#2 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 06:15 AM

That is impressive! Nice plow!
  • dmorrill22 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 06:25 AM

That's a very professional job on the blade/mount. Angle adjustment from the seat is a great feature to have even if it is a lot of work to do it. Keep us posted as you get it completed. Thanks for posting.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,318 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 06:58 AM

Very nice pusher you've made there. Sounds like all your gauges are thick enough to last too.

Good luck on the angle setup. Lots of geometry there...

#5 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 07:49 AM

Thanks guys! Geomytry for the angling setup isn't too hard to figure out, I used a tie rod end to allow a great range of motion. Testing is great so far. I have a linear actuator I was given that is 8" stroke, and thought about using it for power angle, but I couldn't quite get the geometry setup right. This manual angle is just as good, plus I can save the actuator for something else down the road :thumbs:

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 08:32 AM

Fantastic. Love it!

It's surprising how close your manual angling device is turning out to mine. So you still have to find a way to release the pin from the seat? Looks like you already have it spring-loaded. If that's the case, then I'd recommend what I used which is a heavy cable and motorcycle style hand lever. Make sure you leave the lever extra long. Because although the lever feels really easy when your building it, it will feel like a ton in the winter when everything is wet and your hands are cold. You won't mind leaving in some extra travel then.
  • middleageddeere and dmorrill22 have said thanks

#7 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Originally I had a bike brake lever that went on the handle, but I misplaced it and cant find it. So I'm just going to grind off the mount for that and make a snowblower style lever, much like the craftsman plow blade levers are setup like. I bought a cheap long bike cable off ebay, and it works great for the pin. I know it probably isn't thick enough, but when it stretches I'll worry about it then. I have it set up so most of the cable runs through the tube, so it doesn't rub on the mount where the tube slides.

#8 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:14 AM

Originally I had a bike brake lever that went on the handle, but I misplaced it and cant find it. So I'm just going to grind off the mount for that and make a snowblower style lever, much like the craftsman plow blade levers are setup like. I bought a cheap long bike cable off ebay, and it works great for the pin. I know it probably isn't thick enough, but when it stretches I'll worry about it then. I have it set up so most of the cable runs through the tube, so it doesn't rub on the mount where the tube slides.

The adjustment for me has been a problem. Now that I think twice and three times about it, I'm wondering if it would be worth just using a solid 1/8 inch rod from the handle to a lever on the pin.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,318 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:15 AM

I kinda like the setup on the massey blades.

http://gardentractor...ons-for-mf-630/
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#10 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 11:19 AM

I kinda like the setup on the massey blades.

http://gardentractor...ons-for-mf-630/

Yeah, I'd think it would make sense if I saw one in person. I have most of the pieces together for a solid link. May give er a try when I hook it up in the fall.

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 03:05 PM

Looks like a good job. The PO of my GT 18 had a snowplow setup with a winch like yours... only problem was he made the frame out of thin-gauge angle iron like that used for shelving--all held together with bolts. I removed it, and will keep the winch for another project.

What I want to do now is to get a loader for one of my tractors--probably for my Case since I have hydraulic pump already available.

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 09:57 AM

How about a pin/spring deal like the Wheel Horse plows use for the angle release?

IMAG0243.jpg IMAG0248.jpg IMAG0255.jpg

#13 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 11:00 PM

KC9KAS, I'd love to see more pics of your setup! Did you make the entire setup, or just the push frame?

My setup is similar. I have the pin underneath the spring, and the cable pulls up on the pin and then I can use the handle to move the blade side to side. The spring forces the pin back once it reachs a hole.

Posted Image

Edited by dmorrill22, July 09, 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 07:24 AM

This is good stuff. I also have the spring/pin deal. But the only thing I dont like is working a cable to pull the pin. I like that setup on the wheel horse.

#15 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Ya the cable isn't ideal, but it was very cheap and should last a couple winters. Made building the angle setup a breeze too.