Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Troy Bilt Junior- First Till -I'm Impressed!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 05:57 AM

They don't like barbed wire either, I WAS NOT happy about it myself.

I almost got into a piece of that plastic bird netting that was draped over some of the plants. That would have been bad but not as nasty as barbed wire. I guess you really have to watch out for any obstacles in and on the ground because the higher tine speed can do some real damage before you can react and shut it down. It would be nice if the control was the type that you held down and would release when you let go. As it is, It locks on and no hands are required to keep the tines running, which isn't really safe. I'll have a look at the new versions and see what they use.

#17 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 06:24 AM

I almost got into a piece of that plastic bird netting that was draped over some of the plants. That would have been bad but not as nasty as barbed wire. I guess you really have to watch out for any obstacles in and on the ground because the higher tine speed can do some real damage before you can react and shut it down. It would be nice if the control was the type that you held down and would release when you let go. As it is, It locks on and no hands are required to keep the tines running, which isn't really safe. I'll have a look at the new versions and see what they use.

At one time there was a junk pile where my garden is, I have probably removed at least a wheelbarrow load of plastic, glass and metal from that area. The barbed wire was rusty and I didnt see it until it had wrapped itself around the tines and killed the motor. I had to drag the tiller out of the garden between the grass the wire and a very adult words I got it out. I would think after 4 years of tilling the same spot, I would have all the junk picked out, but every time I till I find more junk.

I was on another forum a years ago and read story about rear tine tillers.

A man was using a rear tine to till his garden, it was one of those with the levers you have to squeeze to keep it moving. He stepped into a gopher hole and his foot slipped up under the tiller tines and got wrapped around the tines. When he let go of the controls, he got hung up and the tiller kept going finally running into the fence. When the paramedics got there they removed the tine assembly with his foot still in it and him to the Hospital. The man was diabetic and the surgeon had to remove the man's foot at the knee.

So be very careful when tilling.
  • Alc said thank you

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 07:39 AM

My Pony, about 10yrs old, has a lever you have to pull up to the handle to go. It extends across under the length of the handle so that you can stand to either side to hold it. If ya let go, she stops.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 10:15 AM

My Pony, about 10yrs old, has a lever you have to pull up to the handle to go. It extends across under the length of the handle so that you can stand to either side to hold it. If ya let go, she stops.

Daniel I think that's the way they have to be for safety regs. now. With mine it has a rod that you push in and this locks it in forward. For reverse you pull back on the rod and it goes in reverse but at least it doesn't lock. If you let go of it the rod goes back to the neutral position. I think I may gear up a kill switch to the handles like you have on your Pony.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 12:00 PM

My reverse is a small plastic T-handle on a cable. I just pull for reverse, and like yours, it returns to neutral when released.

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'll put this interlock on my list of stuff to do because I just know I'm going to have a tendency to forget about those tines and get my size 12's in the way. I've tilled with a front tine tiller since I was big enough to handle the job so it'll be a hard adjustment at my age!

#22 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 02:12 PM

Or just till this way.

• JDBrian said thank you

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Boy that makes it look easy. Those tines do look dangerous though! 10 minutes to till that garden. It would take me an hour with my little front tine unit! Thanks for the video.

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 05:12 PM

I just saw one of these on craigslist. The price seems a little high though.
http://hudsonvalley....3119578490.html

#25 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 05:29 PM

This one is a Horse model with a 6 hp Tecumseh. The price is a little high, but about right.

I can't tell from the picture if it's a Horse I, II, or III. I would guess it's a II.

Edited by Amigatec, July 08, 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#26 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:06 AM

Someone has been trying to sell a older horse locally with an 8hp on it for 1500 for quite a while now. I think he will have it for a long time at that price.

#27 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 08:19 AM

That's close to a new price. I gave like $100 for mine. but it needed a lot of work.

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2012 - 04:32 PM

Saw a new troy bilt tiller for sale at a local hardware store. It was 6hp I think and a bit larger than my jr. Price was 949$. When I looked at it closely it doesn't seem as well built in some ways as my Jr. Axles for the drive wheels look to be a lot smaller in diameter and lighter metal etc. Had mine out this morning to do a little job and it sure works nice. I am going to clean up my old tiller and sell it.

#29 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 01:35 PM

Nice tiller. I just ordered a new carb for my 3hp Tec model this morning. The PO was my uncle and when he died it set for a while with old gas in it until my aunt decided to start selling off his tools. The needles were rusted up and pitted so bad that I don't think I could rebuild. Got a new one off ebay for $40 shipped.

#30 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 06:27 PM

If you see the condition mine was in it at the start of this thread it sounds similar. The governors are kinda fussy on these as well. They seem to be quite rare. I know where there is another one locally that is well worn. The owner has replaced the tines and the motor is shot but he still wants 200 for it. I think he's trying to get his money back for the times he bought. Too much IMO. I tried to find some for sale on Ebay and none came up so I really don't know what they are worth. I got lucky and got one with low hours.