Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Troy Bilt Junior- First Till -I'm Impressed!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 04:32 PM

A while back I got a Junior at a yard sale for 60$. It had no air cleaner assembly and had been sitting for at least 10yrs. I ordered a new air cleaner assembly, carb kit, governor spring, throttle linkage rod and a gasket set. Cleaned it up and changed the oil in the trans and engine, replaced the fuel line, added a shut off valve, new head gasket, carb kit and just got it back together today.
The carb was a real mess. Heres some pics of the parts I replaced.

DSCF7901.jpg DSCF7904.jpg

It started right up but I only had 2 speeds, idle and wide open. The carb and governor had been monkeyed with so I set the governor up to look the same as the pictures in the excellent manual. I then had speed control, idle at one end and at the high speed stop it was 3300rpm. A little tweeking on the carb adjustments and I headed down back to till a small patch of garden that isn't planted. These things sure move slow! I was mighty impressed with how this little machine tilled. It was pretty much effortless and left a light almost fluffed up soil in it's wake. I had to fight my old tiller to get it to keep moving and the results were not as good. I now see why rear tine tillers are so popular. The engine seemed to handle the load just fine so the governor appears to be working correctly.
Heres the end result -tiller and garden.

DSCF7915.jpg DSCF7916.jpg

DSCF7917.jpg
  • MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 05:35 PM

Looks like it did a great job tilling! I don't think you did bad with the price either! The bigger ones are monsters, that one looks like it can hold its own too!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 05:38 PM

You saved another great little machine there. It did a fantastic job tilling... but where are the rocks???
  • JDBrian and twostep have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 08:29 PM

You saved another great little machine there. It did a fantastic job tilling... but where are the rocks???

Patience Alan!, I just planted them, the harvest won't be for a while yet. I'll mail you some of my first crop! :smile1:

This small garden was made from fill, soil, and compost dumped in a low area over a period of a few years. This year I added more peat moss to it and the soil is finally a good consistency. Some of the rocks are making a wall at the low side of the garden and I filled in front to them. There's a few short rows of potatoes planted just to the right of where I tilled. I can't wait to put this little tiller to use in the fall. The only thing better would be a GT mounted tiller, but this one is narrow enough to use between rows.
  • MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 04:20 PM

Don't get much better than that Brian!! planting rocks? Reminds me of the story about the Nebraska Farmer who decided to raise chickens..
Went to the coop and bought 100 chicks, was back the next week for 100 more, and the next week for 100 more.
Guys at the Coop got suspicions and asked why so many? He said they are all dying on me. Do you supose I'm planting them too deep?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 05, 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Glad it's working good, Brian. Those are some great tillers! Why don't you 'mail' one of those you drug off to Alan!
  • MH81 and JDBrian have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:24 AM

Don't get much better than that Brian!! planting rocks? Reminds me of the story about the Nebraska Farmer who decided to raise chickens..
Went to the coop and bought 100 chicks, was back the next week for 100 more, and the next week for 100 more.
Guys at the Coop got suspicions and asked why so many? He said they are all dying on me. Do you supose I'm planting them too deep?

:rofl2:

Glad it's working good, Brian. Those are some great tillers! Why don't you 'mail' one of those you drug off to Alan!

Rear tines are sweet. I'm starting to get a good feel for working on carb's. Every machine I get seems to have carb problems. I'm keeping my eye open for a bigger rear tine tiller. I'm thinking of doing some odd job work when I retire and tilling is something I enjoy.

The truck just left with a 800lb'er for Alan. Freight is COD! LOL!!
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#8 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Wow, nice tiller!

#9 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 09:39 AM

That is a nice tiller for little invested. It looks to have done a great job.

You are lucky you don't have rocks. No tiller likes rocks.

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Dave, he's got some large one's! Like the one on it's way to Alan. LOL
Brian, rear tines work so much better. Hope you find a decent larger one! That one would work great in a garden. Maybe you can find one for one of those JD's.

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 07:15 PM

:rofl2: The truck just left with a 800lb'er for Alan. Freight is COD! LOL!!

I bet Alan is going to be so happy with that international shipment !!! :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:
  • MH81, KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I have a Troy Bilt Pony and love it! I used to have the older heavy full size model, but the Pony is so easily maneuvered. Only thing with any rear tine tiller to be very careful about is tilling in hard ground. If you set the depth bar to go more than one notch deep, it can & likely will "launch" on you, and I figure Brian already knows this by now. My first pass in hard ground is a light cut, then I go deeper. You got that tiller for a super bargain! It will last you years & years!
  • KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 10:05 PM

:rofl2:

Rear tines are sweet. I'm starting to get a good feel for working on carb's. Every machine I get seems to have carb problems. I'm keeping my eye open for a bigger rear tine tiller. I'm thinking of doing some odd job work when I retire and tilling is something I enjoy.

The truck just left with a 800lb'er for Alan. Freight is COD! LOL!!

Well, now.. they do have Gold in Canada... If'n it's 800lbs of Gold, I'll accept shipment :)
  • Texas Deere and Horse and JDBrian have said thanks

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 05:11 AM

Well, now.. they do have Gold in Canada... If'n it's 800lbs of Gold, I'll accept shipment :)

Alan, some people think they are gold! If you like this one I'll send you an 1800lber that's just begging for a new home.

Daniel, I was impressed with that little tiller. The tine speed is much higher than the rear tine I'm used to. I guess that and the fact that you are not driving and walking over the top of the freshly tilled ground is what makes the difference. Thanks for the warning on the launch factor. With the tine speed it has, even with it in low range that wouldn't be much fun. The manual is excellent and gives a nice tutorial on how to use the tiller. I'll try to get it scanned but don't have a scanner on my computer. There is one on my wifes setup upstairs though.
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 05:38 AM

That is a nice tiller for little invested. It looks to have done a great job.

You are lucky you don't have rocks. No tiller likes rocks.

They don't like barbed wire either, I WAS NOT happy about it myself.
  • JDBrian said thank you