#1 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 09, 2010 - 05:50 AM

I'm sure you've all heard of the Citroen car,but did you know there was also a Citroen tractor?
Posted Image

Citroen Tractor

Citroen? Yep, Citroen built a tractor too, only one, and it was very tiny. The Citroen tractor weighed only 1760 lbs and was powered by a 12 HP four cylinder engine very much like the Citroen Model A car engine. It was marketed primarily as an orchard tractor and sold a grand total of about 500 units during its two years of production. The company did dabble in the idea of half-track tractors, but nothing was ever put to market. Just look how cute this one is.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 09, 2010 - 05:54 AM

Thats a unique Tractor!
I never heard of either the Citroen car or Tractor.
Wonder what years these tractors were built?

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 09, 2010 - 05:57 AM

The Citroen car was built in France,and to me,they are ugly.Here are a couple pics of older Citroens cars.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mjodrey, July 09, 2010 - 06:10 AM.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 09, 2010 - 05:59 AM

Citroen
Andre Citroen set up a workshop in 1904 to manufacture his own design of double-helical gear wheel, and soon established a reputation for mass production of high-quality components. This expertise proved invaluable during the First World War, when the factory switched to producing artillery shells, but when the war ended Citroen was able to turn his attention once more to civilian products. The main focus was on automobiles, with Citroen's first car, the Type A, rolling off the production line in 1919. In September of the same year, a Citroen tractor made its first appearance at an agricultural trials near Senlis. This tiny machine weighed less than 800 kg was intended for use in vineyards and on smallholdings - it was equipped with a 10/12 hp four-cylinder engine, which was similar to that used in the Type A car. The tractor also made an appearance in the agricultural trials at Chartres in October 1920, but by that time Citroen had already lost interest in the little machine and sales were handed over to the Société Agricultural company of Aubervilliers. It is estimated that around 500 of the little Citroen tractors were built from 1919 to 1920. However, this was not quite the end of Citroen's relationship with tractors. In 1924 trials were carried out in France of a half-track machine known as the Citroen-Kegresse, after the rubber track design pioneered by Adolphe Kegresse; the machine was found to be unsuitable for agricultural purposes, but subsequently found favour with the military. After the Second World War, Citroen also experimented with a four-wheel drive, four-wheel steer tractor known as the Model J, with at least three prototypes being built and tested in secret at a monastery, although it never actually made it to the production stage. This was the end of Citroen's flirtation with tractor design, although Citroen engines and other components were later used in tractors built by other manufacturers.

(
  • Bill56 said thank you

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted July 09, 2010 - 08:00 AM

Probably a lemon........lol

Citroen means lemon in French

cool tractor though

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 09, 2010 - 04:55 PM

That's a nice little tractor. I like that little four cylinder engine!

#7 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted July 12, 2010 - 08:13 AM

I remember my older sister dated a fellow back in the '60s who drove a DS-19. Citroen was quite innovative at the time with hydraulics working the semi-automatic transmission clutch, a hydraulic suspension that could be raised or lowered while driving, front wheel drive, and a button on the floor for a brake pedal. The button was hard to acclimate to but once the skill was acquired, it worked very well. There was also no jack included. To change a flat tire, the hydraulics moved the suspension to raise the offending tire! They were ahead of the safety game with a single-spoke steering wheel that collapsed on impact of the driver and thus not impaled like other cars of the day, and high-mounted turn signals (the little bullets at the roof line.) But - mechanical nightmares, as can be expected!!!

John

#8 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 03:47 PM

When i was a kid i really wanted a DS estate, sleek, stylish and packed with innovation, although some ideas didn't really catch on...like the headlights that turned with the steering, great idea but i never heard of it on any other car? . Very few around now although i have seen many DS and Avant used as wedding cars.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 04:31 PM

I believe BMW had a model with steerable head lights. I know the Tucker automobile did ,it had 3 head lights,one mounted in the center of the grill and steered with the steering wheel.

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Thats a cool looking little tractor. Thanks for the pictures and info!