13 replies to this topic

#1 DarryDoo OFFLINE  

DarryDoo
  • Member No: 10388
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Greetings, all. First time here.

I'd posted over on SSB Tractor about this particular tractor, and was told it looked like a Gilson. Here's the original post: (the attached picture is a composite, as I could only post one; if ppl want the originals posted, I can certainly oblige.)

Need some help identifying this old beast. There are no markings on the tractor or the engine. There's a part number 200376 on the "Operating Instructions" label, which is under the hood, but I found nothing relevant on Google.

I have no idea what the original colour is; the green is over red, which is over ?. *Everything* is painted red under the green body & black frame; maybe primer?

It has a true 4-forward-speed transaxle, which is belt-driven, I've never seen one quite like it. I think the transaxle might be partly seized, but I'm hesitant to disassemble without a manual of some sort.

No mower deck, but the plough blade was included. I originally thought it was home-brew, but the brackets where the assembly attached to the rear axle appear to be original. The box (bottom of the picture of the plough) was definitely added on, and contained weights. There are two locations for the lift arm, which leads me to believe it was meant for different models of similar tractors.

It's electric start, but there appears to be a spot on the top of the engine to add a rope starter; the "Operating Instructions" label says to remove the 25 amp fuse if there's no battery installed.

Anyone have any clues? I've looked at thousands of pictures on various websites, but nothing looked close. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• Composite.png

• middleageddeere said thank you

#2 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Wow, no idea but, welcome to GT talk!
  • DarryDoo said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 08:43 PM

First off, Welcome to GTtalk ,glad you joined us. It appears to be a Gilson looking at the hood. If you could post the pictures separately, it would be better. Is the engine horizontal or vertical shaft? What HP is it? Gilson's were painted a redish orange in the later years of production.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Welcome! I think separate pics would give folks a better shot at figuring it out for you! Someone will get you fixed up, sounds like TD&H is on the right track already!

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:14 PM

It's hard to tell, Like kenny said if the pictures were posted separately one could maybe get a better idea.
The shape of the steering wheel has me thinking Murray. I spent a lot of time on a gilson in the late 70's but don;t rememer the seat pan and fenders folding forward and can't quite see what the purpose would be.

Gilson like MTD and Murray would put anybody;s name and paint on a machine to suit if they would buy enough units to justify it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 02, 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Maybe it is a Murray/MTD with a Gilson hood on it. That noise/grill sure looks like a Gilson to me.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Here is a couple green Gilson's I found on the web..

images.jpeg

forum_3395.jpg

#8 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Looking at it it sure Looks Like a Gilson But I need to see some Bigger Pictures of the Lift Handle and engine compartment and a Better Picture of the Dash to Be 100% certain. But If It does Turn Out to Be a Gilson. Your Best bet is to Contact Toro. Outboard Motor(Lawn-Boy) Bought Gilson In 1989 and In 1990 They sold the Lawn-Boy Brand along with the Gilson rights to Toro :thumbs:

#9 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Its a gilson. No doubt about it. There is a distinct dip between the dash and the seat along with a long slot in the dash itself for what I think is either the PTO or the speed lever.

#10 catomann OFFLINE  

catomann
  • Member No: 10541
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hah, yes it is. I bought an exact same model, mine is orange though. Got it yesterday, It is identical to yours. I am trying to use it as a lawn mower, it needs some love and care initally, but i am sure i can get the damn thing working again. Most of the mower parts are bent and have seen better days. Engine runs like a charm, all knives fell of one by one today, bolts snapped like matches. Better wear sturdy boots :)

Cato,
Loeten, Norway

#11 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 19, 2012 - 05:36 AM

looks like I am restating the obvious, but its a gilson/wards. somewhere around '78. I cant access my photobucket at work, so I cant post a bigger pic. The tractor in my avatar is a '77 gilson on steriods. I just joined yesterday and have not had time to upload any pics to my file. I will try to get some up this weekend

Edited by rat88, July 19, 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#12 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 10:38 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#13 rcpicard OFFLINE  

rcpicard
  • Member No: 42068
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:49 PM

check out this link. It may anwser your question.

http://www.americanl...k_16230449.html

Looks just like it, only red

#14 rcpicard OFFLINE  

rcpicard
  • Member No: 42068
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:54 PM

And here is a better one http://www.mytractor...d.php?p=1567325 this is a better pic. You will need to scroll down a little ways but you will see a nice pic.