Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens Estate Keeper Deck Restoration (Now Finished)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:06 PM

Sweet!!!!!!!!! Hook it up and mow!!!!!!! :dancingbanana:

Or not....

#32 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Boy, that looks better than factory fresh. Nice work.

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:13 PM

That looks great, Doc!

#34 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:57 PM

WOW!!! Super nice! I wish my deck came out HALF as nice as yours!!! :worshippy1:

Where did you get your decals from, may I inquire? And how did you get a decal with the model number printed on it like OEM? Every decal set I have seen shows the model and serial number areas blacked out with nothing printed on them. That is quite nice to have at least the model number printed on it. Makes it look more complete, even if it doesn't have the original serial number on it as well...

Can't wait to see it installed on a (I'd assume fully restored?) Estate Keeper!!

(EDIT - Haha, I just noticed too, I see I'm not the ONLY one who is missing bolts to mount the belt cover on my deck! Did some of your holes get messed up as well from rusted-in bolts, etc. or you just haven't installed them all yet? I can't get new bolts to screw into about 4 bolt holes in my deck since the old bolts rusted in and snapped off when trying to remove them. :wallbanging: I tried to drill them out, but I just can't seem to get new bolts to thread in right no matter what I do. I don't have a tap and die set to remake the threads though.)

Edited by MailmAn, July 29, 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#35 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Great job Doc!!!!

#36 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 06:58 AM

WOW!!! Super nice! I wish my deck came out HALF as nice as yours!!! :worshippy1:

Where did you get your decals from, may I inquire? And how did you get a decal with the model number printed on it like OEM? Every decal set I have seen shows the model and serial number areas blacked out with nothing printed on them. That is quite nice to have at least the model number printed on it. Makes it look more complete, even if it doesn't have the original serial number on it as well...

Can't wait to see it installed on a (I'd assume fully restored?) Estate Keeper!!

I had the ID tag custom made I would have had the serial number put on as well but the old decal was too worn to read so I had to leave it blank :( I had to pay a bit extra to get custom decals but is was worth it.

(EDIT - Haha, I just noticed too, I see I'm not the ONLY one who is missing bolts to mount the belt cover on my deck! Did some of your holes get messed up as well from rusted-in bolts, etc. or you just haven't installed them all yet? I can't get new bolts to screw into about 4 bolt holes in my deck since the old bolts rusted in and snapped off when trying to remove them. :wallbanging: I tried to drill them out, but I just can't seem to get new bolts to thread in right no matter what I do. I don't have a tap and die set to remake the threads though.)

Yeah a couple holes had the bolts broken off. What I do is I drill out the old bolts then thread the bolt in and secure with a nut and lock washer on the bottom. In this pic I didnt add all the bolts. I usually stagger the bolts (every other hole)as I dont think you really need to have 20 bolts holding on a deck cover :D

#37 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 07:58 AM

I dont think you really need to have 20 bolts holding on a deck cover :D

:( :( 'Ya need all 20 if you want it to look original !! :laughingteeth: Maybe if you put all the bolts in, you could sell it as NOS for $10K! :smilewink:

GREAT job on the deck, Brian! :thumbs:
  • Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#38 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,116 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 08:28 AM

:( :( 'Ya need all 20 if you want it to look original !! :laughingteeth: Maybe if you put all the bolts in, you could sell it as NOS for $10K! :smilewink:

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: I'm with bruce on that one. I would think i was looking at a NOS deck if i had not read the thread. You did a fantastic job on that :smiley-score010:
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#39 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 08:47 AM

I'll probably end up putting the rest of the bolts in as it will probably be bothering me every time I walk by :D

#40 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:16 AM

I had the ID tag custom made. I had to pay a bit extra to get custom decals but is was worth it.

So, where did you get it custom made then? Locally or one of several places online that sell decals?

#41 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:24 AM

So, where did you get it custom made then? Locally or one of several places online that sell decals?

I got it from the same place I got my Green brier decals (Click it and stick it)
  • MailmAn said thank you

#42 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:08 AM

I didn't know if he could/would do custom decals like that though. Good to know!

#43 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 12:33 PM

Very nice! Is it on yet?!