• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 wh71 OFFLINE  

wh71
  • Member No: 9513
  • 6 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 10:56 PM

i am wondering what everyone thinks is the best pulling tractor i know there alot of cubs because they are shaft drive but i want to know which tractor everyone thinks is the best puller based on how they pull and not on what drives them i am partial to wheel horse but i know there alot of cubs and my friends is trying to get me to buy a cub and i wanted to know if cubs were really the best pullers or everyone likes them because they are shaft drive i know there are other tractors that might make good pullers but wheel horse and cub seem to be the most popular and they are the only two tractors i feel comfortably buying because i have been around them Thanks

Edited by wh71, July 01, 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 11:30 PM

I would say from my experience that the final drive on the Cubs is much stronger. Take the two apart and lay them side by side and you will see the difference. I'm talking pre mid 80's tractors.

Edited by Cvans, December 09, 2012 - 03:18 PM.

• middleageddeere said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 11:36 PM

I talked to a guy at a show who said that back in the early days of pulling GT's, Wheel Horse and cub were the two to beat. His thoughts on why the cubs ran away with the lions share today were because people just figured that a belt drive wouldn't be able to compete. There are other reasons in my mind as well. The original cub rear differential is bullet proof and is built just like the ones in larger tractors, making them much more durable under the abuses of competitive pulling. They also have a leg up in the strength of the axle design. There's also the fact that you can buy aftermarket parts to make your cub a better puller fairly cheaply (think of the 350 Chevy engine here). All that said, I think my Horses would hold their own with any unmodified cub of the same HP rating in a straight up pull. The Cub will simply take the abuse longer.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#4 wh71 OFFLINE  

wh71
  • 6 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the input and i just want to build a stock puller if that helps any

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 10:26 AM

From what I have seen all things being equal the advantage goes to the better driver.
Honestly I think they are pretty equal. The difference is there are so many more cadets pulling.

#6 wh71 OFFLINE  

wh71
  • 6 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 04:21 PM

thanks for the input i have a raider 14 wheel horse now with a 12 hp kohler and ive heard that the axles are weak on that model i just started pulling and i am wondering if it is worth changing the trans or to just get a newer wheel horse or a cub i like pulling and i want a tractor that i can have for years everyone is saying cubs will take the abuse longer but cubs around us are scarce because of everyone wanting the shaft drive but are parts still avalible online and other places? i know midwest super cub has aftermarket parts but for now i just want stock ive priced a wheel horse trans and they are around 150 so is it worth changing it or should i sell it and buy a cub i am pulling stock now but eventually i would like to make a stock altered or better and i would put the engine in this tractor

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 04:39 PM

I have a couple of Cub's and have parted a couple of others. Most parts are still available through the Case-IH dealer. Also flea bay usually has most used parts available. Cub's are probably the most popular of the older garden tractors out there and parts availability is very high. You might want to check and confirm this next bit of advice but if it were me, I would not use a Cub with the rubber engine mounts. If I remember correctly the ring and pinion gears out of the older Dodge Darts will fit the cubs rear end if you want to change ratios. Here again check that this is actually true because I have not tried it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:08 PM

IMHO if you blow the rear axle/trans axle in a Cub, Wheel Horse, Sears, Bolens, Case, Massey or any other "Garden Tractor" in a stock class then you ain't stock.

As others have said the Cubs have a lot more after market parts available and that is simply because more of the Pro Stock and up classes use primarily Cubs.

Bill

#9 wh71 OFFLINE  

wh71
  • 6 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:19 PM

yes cvans i have heard that and i know a couple of people who have done that and bill i see what your sayin about the axles i want to one tractor and keep upgrading it for now because i dont have the time money and hauling/storing palce to have any more than one or two

#10 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Just an FYI. The Raider 14 came with the 10 pinion, limited slip differential. It's that differential that's the weak point of that particular transaxle. Any 8 pinion differential from a 6 or 8 speed transaxle will fit right into it's place. No need to replace the entire transaxle. Just make sure it is indeed an 8 pinion, 1 1/8" axle.

Edited by thirdroc17, September 16, 2012 - 10:14 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,688 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 05:14 PM

I've heard from guys who ran Wheel Horse and switched to Cub that a WH trans is good up to around 35 hp, then they come apart.

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:55 PM

My 5hp Lister Petters diesel blew my 8 speed WH to pieces. I admit to having ATV tires on it and using it in low range to pull some heavy loads. Still impresses me that the Lister could do that. Now have a 12hp. Hydro WH that I'm going to try again. Hopefully the hydro will hold up better.

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Well last weekend I saw a 6 HP Lombardini diesel break a cub axle so anything is possible. I, think a transfer sled would be easier on the transmission because you can get a running start. Pulling a stone boat on the other hand.... is hard on the goods. It is full weight right now! I prefer the transfer sled for sure. But the boat..

It is the real world right now and violent.

#14 wh71 OFFLINE  

wh71
  • 6 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:15 PM

i only pultransfer sleds and i have the 10 pinion in my tractor and im hoping it doesnt break

#15 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image i have both