6 replies to this topic

#1 bluelinehiway OFFLINE  

bluelinehiway

• Member No: 7954
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:46 PM

All:

Recently I picked up a 1980 Speedex 1632. I'm going over it as it sat in a barn for a few years. Here are the questions I need help with (at least for right now):

How does the drive side (left) brake drum come off? I see the two keys and have removed the axle nut, but the drum will move about 3/4" and then feel like there is a retainer clip or something holding it on? Could the drum be hanging up on the brake shoes? I don't want to use a wheel puller on it and find there is "something else" holding this thing on. Is there a way to fully retract the shoes? BTW, the right side drum came off no problems.

Is the main axle a single piece from end to end? I looked at the parts manual for the rear end and it appears that the left side uses a differential gear to the large gear from the chain drive. If the axle is one piece, how much work is there to dismantle the rear to remove and fix it? The problem I have is the left side retainer nut is stripped and needs re-threading.

Many thanks in advance!

Tom
  • Auburn David said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 11:29 PM

Things are weird aren't they? I don't have your answer really, but I have had fun with my 2031 being oddball and hard to get clear picture or manual to work from. I would think the axle would need to be split to give it a Differential action or the wheels would fight on every turn. You have manual for it at all? There is a sight with speedes information that has manuals you can download for several models. They aren't much, only a few pages, but have part blow-up diagrams in them. Do a google search for the site maybe. Just says someting like Speedex Information forum or close. Not on Yahoo I don't think, they have a diff one there, not much action.

#3 bluelinehiway OFFLINE  

bluelinehiway

• 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Grumpy:

I have the 1632 manual (parts) and that'skindahelpful. I agree that the Speedex sites around are very sleepy. (Hey ....if I can include 5 other names, I'll have all the Dwarfs!) :)

I see that you have taken on one of these tractors and if there is anything I can do for you let me know. BTW...I eliminated the "sliding motor" issue on my 1632 and replaced it with a "Wheel Horse" clutch. I think my solution is much better than the manufacturers.
I solid mounted the motor and used the existing pedal assembly to provide for a slipper type clutch on the drive belt. I'd add a pic for your review but I'll be damned how to add pics to this post.

Tom

Edited by bluelinehiway, July 01, 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Blueline, not sure how old your post is but clutch is fine on mine. The belt stays tight all the time, then there is a Brake Band like item that grabs the outside of clutch cluster to make it go. Sometimes the whole thing is kinda sticky if I push pedal all the way down and hard to engage smoothly, likes to be on/off mostly. I have wheelhorse now too and yep, easy clutches in them. Thinking of selling my 2031 now, wanna buy? Here's a pix, not that hard to put them on, just follow instructions as they pop-up. You DO need to click on the More Reply Options below to post one if you are looking at this square.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0241.JPG
  • DSCN0243.JPG
  • Garage clean tractor line up 2012-07-07 007.JPG

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Grumpy:

I have the 1632 manual (parts) and that'skindahelpful. I agree that the Speedex sites around are very sleepy. (Hey ....if I can include 5 other names, I'll have all the Dwarfs!) :)

I see that you have taken on one of these tractors and if there is anything I can do for you let me know. BTW...I eliminated the "sliding motor" issue on my 1632 and replaced it with a "Wheel Horse" clutch. I think my solution is much better than the manufacturers.
I solid mounted the motor and used the existing pedal assembly to provide for a slipper type clutch on the drive belt. I'd add a pic for your review but I'll be damned how to add pics to this post.

Tom

Welcome to the forum! We have a video on posting pics here:
http://gardentractor...file-uploading/

#6 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 04:10 PM

Dude that is much newer than my 1632! And, it looks beastly ...

#7 bluelinehiway OFFLINE  

bluelinehiway

• 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 22, 2012 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the help in posting pics. I have included a couple to illustrate some corrective action I have taken with this 1632. I added the Wheel Horse clutch conversion (to replace the sliding engine clutch on the 1632) and I also fixed (I hope) the cobbed out axle threads through the use of a collar clamp and threading a nut into the axle end. New axle key and the fix has provided a jerry-rigged solution for the time being. Tomorrow I am going to install my newly re-polarized flywheel on my cast iron B&S and install the new electronic ignition. I'm hoping I can get some spark and see what carb rebuild needs to be done.

If everything goes according to plan (and we know what that means!), I'm going to test drive it and re-install the deck to see what needs to be done with that. The deck looks pretty good (the blades seem to have the factory edge on them) and all spindles work OK. Thank goodness this drought has slowed down my pasture grass so I hadn't needed to cut earlier.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT3718.JPG
  • PICT3741.JPG
  • PICT3750.JPG