Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

When Is It No Longer The Same Tractor?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: When Is It No Longer The Same Tractor? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

When does a tractor lose it's identity? What's OK to change?

1. Only what has to be swapped (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Tin and Cosmetics (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Whatever's bad and you have a spare (14 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

4. As long as you keep the serial tag. (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 08:16 PM

To me any sort of modification, Engine swap , homemade parts added or parts from different brands added is when a tractor is not original anymore, But I would agree that if you swapped out a few pieces of sheet metal, such as fenders and seats from a same model tractor it would be ok.
  • MH81 said thank you

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:39 PM

It seems to me that we have gone off on the "original" VS not original tangent. The question I believe was when does it lose it's identity. I believe that the identity rests in the frame and structure of the tractor. This is of course just my opinion. The serial number on most Wheel Horse tractors resides somewhere other than the frame. The earliest (RJ's and such) had them on the frame, but the dash tower was a popular spot into the early '80s, and the fender pan has been it's designated spot pretty much since then, although a few of the models still had them on the dash tower. I wouldn't consider changing the fender pan to be altering the identity unless it was a different type of fender pan. The dash tower I would consider an integral part of the structure, but even changing that, to me, wouldn't change what the tractor is. The devil is in the details for so many of us that I think this subject would be hard to agree with everyone on.
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#18 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,527 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:40 PM

I would think that the frame with serial tag should stay together. If it would be a rare item then all parts stay original. But I really liked the last option of it's yours do what you please. Interesting discussion so far, with every ones thoughts
  • MH81 said thank you

#19 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I think so long as the parts going back on the GT are correct parts for that model its still the same GT. How many of these beautifully restored tractors that we all love to look at, were at one point in time a pile of junk that the owners worked hard finding correct parts for, just so they could have it back in perfect condition again. It very well could be that very few of the parts on it were the ones that it actually left the factory with. As far as I'm concerned it is whatever model it says it is. The ones that are brought back to life this way, just have that much more love put into them, and its just that much more satisfying to the owner on a job well done. :thumbs:

Matt
  • MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#20 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 10:07 PM

What Matt says does it for me . The serial tag was only applied in most cases after the tractor met QC testing , if it didn't sometimes it sat until it did with replacement parts . Fred
  • MH81 and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#21 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 10:43 PM

I feel that as long as you're repairing the tractor with parts that are identical to the original parts then you have kept the tractor original and it has not lost it's identity. If you replace a blown K341AQS with another K341AQS it's the same tractor and hasn't lost its identity. If not, I doubt there are any 25 year old or older tractors that haven't lost their identity because somewhere down the line a tune up has been done or a fuel line replace etc. Now if you put JD fenders and hood on a Craftsman I would say the Craftsman has lost it's identity.
  • MH81 and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#22 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 11:08 PM

Who cares?? I like diff myself, as evidenced from a couple I've made into MM's with paint anyway. Sometimes parts just aren't around if you have an oddball rig, so you make your own systems. AND, sometimes even original stuff was kinda "stupid" at times and you make improvements on the whole systems. I like as someone else noted..."It's only Original Once!" That does it for me!
  • MH81 said thank you

#23 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 11:30 PM

I've converted several GT's from gas to diesel. Even if they look the same they are not the same. If it's a user tractor who cares as long as it does want you want.
Now if it is a collector tractor than I would say that as long as you replace any parts with parts of like type and make then the tractor has not lost it's identity. Who is going to know if that rebuilt short block came for a Cub or a Wheel Horse as long as it is the same model and series.

#24 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Cvans also mentions a lively topic . The J.D. 8010 /8020 series of articulated tractors was an area that made heads scratch.

The original 8010 transmissions had to be rebuilt/ re-engineered under a recall and relabelled as 8020 . Same 100 tractors

minus 1 that didn't measure up .
  • MH81 said thank you

#25 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 06:44 AM

My Granddad use to say he had the same axe for over 50 years but he had to change the handle a dozen or so times and the head once or twice.

Bill
  • MH81, caseguy and IamSherwood have said thanks

#26 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'd say that as long as the frame and serial number stay together, it's the same tractor. Correct replacement parts need to be used, but it is still "That tractor" as long as the frame and serial number remain.
  • MH81 said thank you

#27 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Do with your tractor as you see fit. Just don't try to pass it off as something it's not.
And definitely don't misrepresent it when trying to sell it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#28 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 03:44 PM

And then of course, there is always the curve ball.
Example: If you had Marilyn Monroe's GT, and you replaced the seat, well it just wouldn't
be the same GT anymore.

No, it certainly would not!

Good one Will.

I would say it's not the same when the frame is changed out.

#29 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Do with your tractor as you see fit. Just don't try to pass it off as something it's not.
And definitely don't misrepresent it when trying to sell it.

I couldn't agree more, and we all know Alan wouldn't do anything underhanded, that's for sure!
  • MH81 said thank you

#30 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 05:02 PM

As Steve mentioned and in restoring a few "machines" over the years, once the original VIN # tag has either been relocated and or replaced, the machine is no longer "original". I agree with this notion and at times...have gone to ridiculous lengths, to keep frames original. That said, if done correctly... nobody would ever be able to tell.
  • MH81 said thank you