• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Who has seen the show better kings on A&E? I had never heard of it, my brother told me about it last night. We watched a few episodes. Halfway through the second episode, my brother said he could see me starting out with something worthless and then having a backhoe a few weeks later. Little did he know... I was sitting behind him looking on craigslist with my phone. LOL! I dug out a Kohler K301AS from the shed that came from a cub. I am going to see what I can do. I don't really have a specific goal yet but I am going to try and go as far as I can! Has anybody tried nothing like this?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 04:19 PM

Reminds me of a book I read when I was little. Called Alvin's swap shop.

Kid started out with a "trained" ant and ended up with a whole store full of stuff.

Life imitating art. :rolling:

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Ryan, if I was closer I might trade you some cash for that Kohler. Good luck with your barter experiment.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Ryan, if I was closer I might trade you some cash for that Kohler. Good luck with your barter experiment.

You can drive a GT down and get it! LOL!

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:52 PM

I've watched it a couple of times. I'm not really a fan of those two characters. Too much
like used car salesmen.
But, the whole concept of the show, and the fact that it's probably a true sign of the times, I find interesting.
About 3 weeks ago, a guy had an ad for a GT on KIJIJI. he wanted to trade tools, motorized stuff
or whatever.
I thought, Ok, and offered a truck cap I had sitting around doing nothing. He was nice enough to email me back to tell me the
GT had been traded away.
After I asked him,
He told me he got a brand new in the box plasma cutter (1200 value) Also said he'd had the GT listed a few weeks prior
to this ad for 220, but no bights. On the show, they say it's a 12 billion dollar a year industry in the USA.
During these hard times, I can believe that. People don't have cash, but are will to part with something, that is not important
to them, in exchange for something that they need, or can make a few bucks off.

Ryan, I wish you luck in your ventut

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ryan, I've never seen the show, but keep us posted (As I'm sure you will). It sounds like a cool adventure. Good luck.

#7 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 10:55 PM

Funny that you mentioned this Ryan! I tried to trade some antique tools of mine that I really did not care about for a Wheel Horse tractor with a snow blade that a guy had the other day. He said that my tools were only worth about $250-$275 and that his tractor and snow blade were worth $400, so he did not want to trade with me. He actually said that he likes to trade stuff even more than getting cash! Anyways, good luck with your endeavor!

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 06:30 AM

I saw it once, enough for me! As with most "reality" shows, didn't look very believable. ~~ Lowell

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 06:40 AM

I saw it once, enough for me! As with most "reality" shows, didn't look very believable. ~~ Lowell

Same here. I watched it for the first time a couple days ago. Four trades to go from $300 to $8000 is a little much for me, but then as they say there's a sucker born every minute.

Bill

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Yes, I don't think I have seen a reality show that is all real. What I like about the show is the concept, not the actually trading. They also are off on some of the estimates.

I figure, what is the worst that can happen? I keep the engine and use it in the future. I will keep everybody up to date, I haven't done anythingsince I got the engine out.

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 05:18 PM

I put it up yesterday, when I was taking pics I noticed how bad this engine really looks... Then, I went to take a pic of the ID tag and noticed this is a 10hp model! It is actually a K241AS not a K301AS! I could have sworn this was a 12hp engine. I went to post the ad again, but said I can't because it was already posted and had a link to where I posted it the first time. How long do you have to wait before you can post it again?

Here are the pics of the engine, looks pretty bad huh! What do you guys think this would even be worth?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-07-01_19-06-09_98.jpg
  • 2012-07-01_19-06-22_843.jpg
  • 2012-07-01_19-06-57_254.jpg

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Somebody has a case 110 they will trade. They say it spins, but never tried to get it running, needs a battery and no attachments. I don't think it is worth anything other then being a parts tractor, and I don't know what it is worth at that. I think it may be a step up but my gut is saying no, any advise?

Attached Files

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Ryan, I'll trade you a good hen and 6 dozen eggs for that power king. How about it?

But first, I've got to go out and buy a hen and some eggs.

#14 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 08:07 PM

Trading is so much fun, I once traded an old Sears that the guy needs for parts for a welder. I think I got the short end of that stick, but the fact is that I have used that welder WAY more than I ever would have used the Sears...so sometimes, the value isn't all about what it is monetarily worth.