#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 06:14 PM

Bought this small garden tiller yesterday off a guy I know.He hasn't used it for a few yrs it was sitting in his chicken coupe.I brought it home the gas in the tank was{yuk} took the carb off Oh yeah its a 5 hp brigs.cleaned everything up put it back together and away it started.The problems began as soon as it warmed up kept stalling had to run it on part choke thats how it ran but still kept stalling.Took a look at the points only had a gap of .005 so I set them to .016 .One of the coil legs was rubbing on the flywheel so adjusted that as well.Pulled it once and away it went.Went to the garden again but as soon as I engaged the tiller it stalled.Started it and it ran but as soon as engaging the tiller it stalled.I then tried the choke and it ran even tilled the complete garden with the choke full out and it ran fine.Now I'll have to dig deeper to find out why it needs choke to run while tilling.I had no problems setting the fuel/air mixture screw it makes a difference while turning it in or out.Still has me puzzled as to why it need choke to run while tilling.Nit too sure if the fuel pump diafram is leaking or what so maybe I'll have to go buy one and put it in.It just doesn't look right to me as one of the holes are covered by the little flap but the other one is only partially covered by the little flap so to me it's not right,I think either flap should fully cover the holes.What do you guys think.any ideas??? any input would be appreatiated??? Larry

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 08:57 PM

Needs a thorough cleaning & a carb rebuild kit, or at least that diaphram. Yes, ALL flaps should cover holes completely. They draw up with age.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 09:02 PM

:ditto: Daniels post.
Do you have any pictures of it?

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 09:14 PM

Same advice from me, Larry. I've had that problem many times.

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 08, 2010 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys,I'll get to it in the next few days.I kinda figured the diaphram has shrunk as it just doesn't seem right to have the holes placed where they are and the one flap not covering the hole. Larry

Edited by massey driver, July 09, 2010 - 08:09 PM.