• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OLD HOUSEBOATER OFFLINE  

OLD HOUSEBOATER

• Member No: 5025
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 09:23 PM

My John Deere LX188 has a repeating shudder. K61 Hydro. The drive belt shakes and smooths out on about a 2 or 3 second interval. Ideas???

Edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER, June 29, 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 09:41 PM

I would take off the belt and check the belt for a defect and both pullies for flaws of some kind. It almost sounds like the belst is slipping just a little bit at some point in its travel.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 05:04 AM

As well as what Alan has suggested I'd check the pulley's also to make sure they are not loose. I have heard of the hydro pulleys coming loose. The tensioner should be gone over as well to make sure it's free and tensioning properly. It may be time for a new belt if these things don't solve the problem.

#4 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:51 AM

I really like the LX Series JD but for the plastics they used, getting back to the topic I would remove the belt in question and just replace it. I would also check all the pulleys that it came in contact with and make sure they're all spinning correctly and free with no wobbles.

If you've taken the time to remove the belt I would suggest just replacing it if it has any hours at all on it. I purchase all my belts from a local place here, I can replace every belt on my LX172 for less the cost of one JD branded belt. Next visit I will find out if it is okay to post the name of the place and if they will do mail order for folks. And example of price differences a JD belt for my 214 cost right at 55 bucks, I can buy a replacement belt at my source for $8.99 and I get just as good of service and life out of the replacement as I did when I bought JD branded belts. What I reckoned was being everything is made in China now and most likely made at the same factory why spend that extra cash? I know in some instances you might have to buy a JD branded belt because other belts will just not work. That said, deck belts and deck drive belts even main drive belts can be sourced out in most cases. My 214 has 2 belts that go to the variation drive pulleys and most if not all people think you have to use JD belts, Not so if you ask me, I just replaced the belts and re-adjusted and everything works fine. Them things are a pain to adjust sometimes even using oem belts but if everything is good then you can adjust it to work easy enough! LOL

Ebay is also another good source of replacement belts.

Sorry about the rambling, hope you get that fixed up! Check that belt and those pulleys and I bet you find your problem. Might even be something has just came loose. Good Luck!

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 08:14 AM

To add to the above suggestions, I would check or simply replace the tensioner spring. Since the problem occurs in 2-3 second intervals, this leads me to think beyond the belt as its spinning at a higher rate. Heat and spring fatigue could weaken the spring so that its just barely able to tighten the belt and extra or periodic loading could cause it to relax momentarily. Just my 2 quid.