#1 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 277 Thanks
  • 471 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 02:55 PM

I stopped and picked up a new float for my 10hp Briggs this morning. It is plastic! What is with that? They have been brass for years, will this hold up? It looks pretty cheap to me.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 03:49 PM

Dan, fuel tanks have been made of plastic for a long time now and seem to hold up pretty well. With the price of brass the way it is almost nobody uses it these days when other alternatives are available. I think I would prefer plastic to those aluminium ones that are so thin they tend to deform and leak at the seal on the bottom.

#3 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 277 Thanks
  • 471 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 04:02 PM

You are right they have made plastic tanks for a long time. It just looks cheap, I like brass!

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,401 Thanks
  • 17,478 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 04:10 PM

You are right they have made plastic tanks for a long time. It just looks cheap, I like brass!

I prefer the Brass as well. Plastic is being used on many engine parts today. I opened up one of those newer push mower engines you buy at the box stores and found they are using plastic cam gears!
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#5 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 04:28 PM

It seems like just about everything these days is being made cheaper in quality.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 07:18 PM

It seems like just about everything these days is being made cheaper in quality.

If you take the price of a nice GT from the 70's and convert that cost to todays dollars those old tractors were pretty expensive. You can still buy quality today but it costs a lot of $. Most consumer items are sold at a price point that allows lots of profit and still provides a basic level of functionality with a limited lifespan. It's true that in most cases they don't build things like they used to.

#7 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 607 Thanks
  • 1,165 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 08:41 AM

new floats are all plastic, I am a mechanic at the local mower repair shop, and i replaced a ton of brass floats with plastic. The plastic does not hold up to well though, I replaced a ton from newer mowers that were bad

#8 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 11:15 AM

Something to think about soon as Oil Prices go up plastic items will be more expensive to make. I'd bet if we scraped up all the plastic bottles and other items from the Pacific ocean we could melt it down and most likely power the entire nation for a couple of years. The problem we'll be facing soon if not already is the fact that plastic doesn't break down nearly as fast as things like brass. It takes years for brass to break down but it takes 1000's of years for plastic to break down.

I would almost bet that very soon things like plastic floats will be replaced yet again with some newer material and hopefully it will take the environment into account also.

I have trouble understanding the need or the idea behind disposable products with very little life span. I know they're after profits and making things cheaper. At the same time because we make things disposable it comes to my mind that because the life spans are greatly reduced and the quality is reduced. Doesn't it or wouldn't it take a lot more material over time to make these products? Over time wouldn't that not cost more and actually do more harm to our planet?

A Garden Tractor built back in 60's and even until the late 80's was something made to last a life time and to me it would take a lot less materials to make them. Much better for everyone and our world!

In 1974 We had a cheaper made Pontiac cost was around $2500 bucks brand new and today you can't buy a car built like that thing was. It was a tank! It had a lot of quality issues but over all it was a well made car. I think a lot of the problems with that car was because they had just started the smog stuff and started using more electronics. GM just did not have it down right at that time!

Today most cars are designed on purpose to break with a certain amount of mileage put on them. That computer in the car knows when it hits 70k miles and if you notice in most cases they require a boat load of Fixes at that point. I think because you pay in most cases nearly 3 or 4 years salary for a car it should last at the very least 20 years before it starts to need serious repairs. If they can set the time for things to break at 70k miles they can certainly make the car wait till 270k miles or more!

If you look at what we pay for an average car today they cost more than a home did when I was a kid! For what one car costs now, my dad and mom bought a house, a car and had a family to boot!

Basically I guess I'm just to old fashioned. I believe if Companies like John Deere built a tractor that would last the average owner his life time we would be much better off, The same could be said about almost every single thing that is made today.

It would be much better for the environment and perhaps even over time give more people jobs. It would also make a person buying said product that the money they've earned actually paid for something that lasts.

How in heck did I come up with all this thinking about a plastic float???

I guess it was instilled in me by the man who started the company I worked for as a young man and hoped to retire from. Sadly though that company went like the brass float. He thought in long terms and the future not the short term and this is what people do and companies do today. They think only in the here and now and not 20 years or 50 years from today...and boys that is a sad sad thing because our grand kids and great grand kids will have a hard time surviving in a world that has been all used up and disposed of

You know, folks like new things but if they really thought about the damages and costs of the new maybe the old ways would be a much better thing for all of us on this earth.

Edited by maxedout, June 30, 2012 - 11:22 AM.

• johnboggs21 said thank you