• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 swabbster3 OFFLINE  

swabbster3
  • Member No: 10353
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 01:50 PM

i bought a diesel generator for 60 dollars yesterday (Thursday 29/06/2012) and i want to use it for something someday, im going to pull the crank out and get it lathed down to 3/4 with a 3/16 key slot, most generators have a tapered shaft and no key-way so useless for anything but a generator, my question if i had a throttle cable hooked up id want it to be able to idle but to shut it off it needs to be at no throttle, so if i added an idle screw setup on the throttle lever that goes into the engine how can i shut it off, it does not have a fuel solenoid so i was thinking if i were to activate the compression release would it safely shut the engine off? i know how it work it presses the exhaust valve open a little but it may damage the compression release arm or the valve? and if i add a fuel valve and run it out of fuel every time i would have to bleed the system,

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 03:42 PM

Welcome to GTTAlk. I think you may need to add a fuel shutoff solenoid as that is the way you normally shut down a diesel. The speed control on the diesel is not a throttle(air valve) but a control for the volume of fuel. Are you sure the existing control will not go to an off position? I don't think those compression releases are designed to be used as a shutoff. They usually deactivate when the engine starts.

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 04:40 PM

What you need to do is use your throttle lever to shut it off, just make some sort of detent so it is hard to get it past idle, but possible

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 06:44 PM

I'm thinking maybe make or alter a throttle cable lever similar to many hand controlled hydro speed controls. To where the lever arm comes down & hits the idle stop, then you pull the lever to the right, past the notch stop, allowing the lever to go further down to shut it down. Just like the hydro hand controls come down to a neutral stop, then pull to the right to go down to reverse.
This would require setting the cable just right, but could be done easy enough.

#5 swabbster3 OFFLINE  

swabbster3
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:04 PM

i was thinking about having a spring somehow attached pushing the fuel lever arm closer to the run position so it would idle i would attach a throttle cable lave a little slack and when i want to shut it off i could reach over and push it to the stop position,

Attached Thumbnails

• diesel throttle.jpg

#6 swabbster3 OFFLINE  

swabbster3
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:13 PM

if anyone knows about this topic, some of these china diesels have a glow plug in the intake, how well do they work should i bother trying to buy one drill and tap a hole, and because it is coming off a generator im worried that the battery will not charge, im not sure if the engine has a stater to charge the battery, or if i would always have to charge the battery?

#7 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 12:28 PM

First, perhaps you could utilize an idle solenoid like the ones that used to be used on many carb equipped car engines in the 70's and 80's. These would hold the throttle position at idle when energized and then retract to close the throttle when de-energized. I would think that you could incorportate one of these into your fuel control linkage to provide the needed idle and shut-off positions.

I think that you will find that the engine has an internal charging system to keep the battery charged. It does not make sense to me that they would omit that on models used for generators. Inspect the engine and compare it to a parts manual to see if you can identify a voltage regulator on it for charging. There are manuals for Yanmar clone engines on this site that should help you with your engine.

It should be easy enough to install the glow plug that I don't see a downside to trying it. The biggest challenge may be that it is a metric thread and will require a metric drill and tap.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

JN
  • olcowhand said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 12:52 PM

JN had a great idea! Yes, the 70's cars had that solenoid. My 73 Vega's though did not shut down the throttle completely, but it would still work in this application. What mine did was to kick up the idle just a bit whenever the air conditioner cycled on. This gave a little more throttle to keep the engine from stalling when the AC kicked on. If one of these solenoids had the required travel, it would serve as a kill & idle position solenoid. These solenoids screwed in or out to adjust speed. I believe they were called "Idle Stop Solenoids".

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/...f813fc0&vxp=mtr

Maybe you can find one at an old car scrapyard for cheap to try.

#9 jimmymc2286 OFFLINE  

jimmymc2286

• Member No: 2540
  • 15 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 12:56 AM

I have one of these engines on my JD318. Not one off a genset but the same engine. I just hooked my throttle linkage up and have not had any trouble using it to run the engine. To stop the engine you really have to take it to a very low idle, way lower than you would want to run it. From idle to shut down is not a problem. These engines run very well and use little fuel. I think you will like it and have fun with what ever you do with it.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 05:42 AM

Daniel, that may work great in this application. I have one on my Malibu, should be easy to get yet.

#11 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Worst case, you could always pull the spark plug lead....... :laughingteeth:

I converted a generator GAS engine for use in a golf cart a while back. Aside from removing the throttle stop screws, I was able to use it as is. I made an adapter for the taper crank instead of cutting the shaft. That probobly doesn't help you much but I couldn't just make my wise crack comment and leave...... :orangecool: