Garden Tractor Forums banner

59 Chevy / Cummins-8

3K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Kurtee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Time to re-mount the front fenders and grille.
I set the front end on a creeper and rolled it around to the front of the truck.
The back of the fenders were then set up on the tires.

Using the lift cart, I raised the front end up and slid it into place on the cab.

The top and bottom of the back of the fenders were then bolted to the cab.
These fenders are strong enough that this will hold the front end in place while I make new body mounts for the front.

Raising the cab has given me some air space between the top of the tires and the fender lip.
I have decided that I like that after all.
It makes the truck look more like a 1-ton should instead of like a pickup with a flatbed on it.

Here's how the engine looks in the space of the engine compartment.
I did a rough fit of the radiator and it looks like there will be about a 3/4 inch clearance between the fan clutch housing and the radiator with a good 1-1/2 clearance for the fan blades themselves.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like it is coming along well! Good luck as you complete it!

Reactions: jdcrawler
#4 ·
I wish I were closer! That looks like one sweet ride, Ray! You are going to enjoy this!

#8 ·
Is the tank still behind the seat Ray?
This still has the original tank behind the seat and it also has another tank just behind the cab on the drivers side under the bed.
I soldered a piece 2 inch diameter tube to the bottom of the original tank and it extends down thru the floor of the cab.
This is connected to the fill tube on the tank under the bed so when I put fuel in the original tank it also flows down into the other tank.
This gives me a little over 25 gallon capacity.
The tank under the bed is the lowest tank so the fuel gauge and the fuel pickup are both in that tank.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
That Chevys not going to reject the transplant with that "Dodge Ram" stamped into the intake is it? LOL!!!!!!!!
The old girl is pretty open minded and she's never complained about having "Ford" mirrors on her.
She already has a "Chrysler" hood orniment that she is very proud of so I don't think she will complain about a "Dodge" engine.
I'm sure she will just be happy to finely be able to pull the trailer up a hill without me having to get out and help push.

Reactions: KennyP
#14 ·
That engine looks like it came with the truck Ray! (except for the Dodge Ram part LOL) Your work is always top notch and I love following the projects as they unfold! Beautiful work as always!

#19 ·
I does look much better with the fender clearance. What else have you got to do before a test drive?

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
What else have you got to do before a test drive?
Well there are a few things that need to be completed yet like:
Finish wiring and mount the voltage regulator, intake heater control solenoids and electrical control box.
Make new front end body supports, make radiator supports, run power steering and power brake lines, make air cleaner mounts, put in firewall and floor insulation, re-install floor mat, recover seats and make mounts for new seats, .....

Then I could fire it up and take it for a test drive.

From there I need to re-mount the windshield washer tank and run new lines, mount the hood, make new bumper brackets and install the heater and air conditioner ( which hasn't even been bought yet ).

#25 ·
I just hope its done by Buckley so I can have look at her....

Your doing a fine job Ray.

#27 ·
It's always the little things that take the most time.

#28 ·
Ray, this will be like all your others builds. Just Outstanding and Awesome! I'm happy to follow along and watch you find your way through all the challenges. Great stuff!

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Started working on the new front fender and grille supports.
The old front mounts were pieces of heavy angle iron that were welded to the bottom of the bracket that bolts to the inside of the fender and also held the radiator.

I need more height clearance for the Dodge radiator so I went ahead and cut the angle iron supports off instead of making riser blocks.
The new support brackets are going to be made out of 2 inch by 1/4 inch flat steel.
Here is the first support being cut to length.

Then it is bent at a 90 degree angle in the press.

This is the finished support bracket.

This is then bolted down to the rubber mount on the frame and tack welded to the fender bracket.

The support bracket for the drivers side is all finished and painted.
This is the back side.

Sheet metal is wrapped around the front side to make it smooth.

The support sits upright like this and the left side bolts to the inside of the fender while the bottom bracket bolts to the rubber frame mount.

#30 ·
Nice looking supports you will have there. Looks like you'll have plenty of room for that radiator to fit. I like your bending die!

#31 ·
Here are some spare parts for ya. 30 miles from me and in a direction I go regularly.
email this posting to a friend mankato craigslist > for sale / wanted > farm & garden - by owner

please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1958 chevy 3800 apache - $650 (sleepy eye)

Date: 2012-07-02, 1:25PM CDT
Reply to: rzczb-3101608526@sale.craigslist.org [sup][Errors when replying to ads?][/sup]

i have for sale a 58 chevy apache 3800. straight 6 235 cu. 4 speed. Good hoist ran when parked. asking $650 or bo call dean at 507-227-5259

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 3101608526

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.