Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Sharing A Couple Of Free Computer Things...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 10:30 AM

I just tried open office. No problems yet. Thanks for this interesting and valuable thread.
  • CASENUT and patbg2 have said thanks

#17 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Do any of these programs open Word and write so someone with Word can access them?

Yes, the Open Office Suite no only opens word, it will open excel, powerpoint, access, and the rest of the microsoft suite, in fact if you create a file or document it will allow you to 'save' it as a microsoft document so the program would never know the difference..

Edited by NutCASE, June 29, 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#18 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 10:56 AM

I just tried open office. No problems yet. Thanks for this interesting and valuable thread.

The more you use it, the more you will realize just how powerful it is, and always free...not sure how or why they did it but it is unbelievable that they would dedicate the resources necessary to create this suite and not charge for it...but it has been free all along...

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hey guys, I moved this to "PC Talk" and pinned it so it will be easily found by others. Great thread & great links. Great idea NutCASE!
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, CASENUT and 3 others have said thanks

#20 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 11:08 AM

My 'puter doesn't like Open Office at all!

Kenny, to install it you must turn off your pop up blocker...tools, options and turn off pop up blocker...after the install turn it back on
  • KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#21 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 12:03 PM

The more you use it, the more you will realize just how powerful it is, and always free...not sure how or why they did it but it is unbelievable that they would dedicate the resources necessary to create this suite and not charge for it...but it has been free all along...

As I mentioned in the previous post it is open source and open source programs are usually free. I have over 33,000 (no this is not a typo) programs that I can install and use. When I need a program to do something all I do is open my Software center run search and usually I will have more then one program to choose from so if I don't like one I can install another one.

Open source is a movement that believes that software should be free and open and not proprietary. With all these programs you can download the source code and modify the program (If you know how) and recompile it. The main thing you have to do is send your mod's back to the project and they can use your code if they so desire.

These Open source project can have any where from one to hundreds of developers each giving of there time and energy to something they believe in. It is kind of like coming here, there is quite a few people who become Mod's and help George behind the scenes and they don't get paid for it but it is something they believe in and enjoy. Some of us become site supporters to help defray the cost's and the same thing happens with these open source projects.

The bad thing, from an open source view point, is that I believe Oracle still had control over the Open Office project so they could pull the plug if they wanted to, hence the LibreOffice project which is true Open Source. I hope this all make's sense.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and CASENUT have said thanks

#22 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 12:04 PM

Here are the links- Avast and Malwarebytes download . On the MWbytes it should pop up with a download box immediately. If anyone has any questions about repair type software I have some information on that also, some of it is pretty dangerous in the wrong hands though...

CCleaner is a good easy one to clear up registry problems. Download

I have been told that Spybot "Search and destroy" is good but have had little experience with it personally. Link
  • CASENUT said thank you

#23 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 02:18 PM

my favorite saying is " in a world of open source who needs windows and gates "

i have been using open source for many years. i havent used a windows machine for at least 8 years i think its been and i dont miss it.
if you ever want to try Linux go to http://distrowatch.com/ and download the ISO file and burn it to a cd or dvd . make sure your cd or dvd player is set to boot first . just pop the cd or dvd in and reboot and let it load and you can try out Linux. to burn a ISO file get MajicISO and burn it http://www.magiciso....iso-burnwin.htm
  • Texas Deere and Horse and middleageddeere have said thanks

#24 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 03:06 PM

To add to DS's post: Most distro's will install alongside Window's and you can pretty much just accept the suggested defaults during the installation especially if it is a Ubuntu Distro. If you feel uncomfortable about downloading and ISO image and then burning it to a CD the are Advertisements on DistroWatch for companies that will send you a CD / DVD with it already burned on it.

You will need to make sure your computer set up is configured to boot of the CD / DVD before the hard drive. To do this when you boot your computer there is usually a message that say's press this key for setup, Bios, cmos (all 3 terms are interchangable) Press that key and it will take you to the set up screen. Find the boot section and there will be a listing for boot order. Set it for the CD / DVD first then your hard drive. Pop the CD / DVD in and reboot the computer.

Most of the Distro's today come on a Live CD / DVD which means that when you boot you have an option to just let it boot off the CD / DVD and you can check out and see if you like it before you install it. If you choose to install it there is usually and Icon on the desktop which will open the installer.

I would suggest if you have a PC that you are not using and it is not too old, try installing Linux on it before you do on you main PC to give you some experience. Most all Distro's have a forum you can go to, to ask questions and get help.
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and middleageddeere have said thanks

#25 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 04:30 PM

I downloaded Stellarium on my Linux machine. Only played with it a little but hoping to learn what my nighttime sky has in it.

http://www.stellarium.org/

I am really enjoying the ubuntu OS.

Dont forget www.cnet.com has some free downloads too.

Edited by coldone, June 29, 2012 - 04:32 PM.

• middleageddeere and LilysDad have said thanks

#26 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Bill, If you had a computer at home that didn't have M$ office suit on it, which one would you use and which one is more user friendly?

#27 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 07:58 PM

if it was me i would say open office . i have used both
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#28 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Bill, If you had a computer at home that didn't have M$ office suit on it, which one would you use and which one is more user friendly?

I have to agree with DS and I would probably install Open Office. It has been around much longer and I do think it is a bit more polished plus there are a lot more templates for it. Brian remember that if you are moving documents back and forth to M$ Office to go into the options section of OO and set your default to save to the M$ format instead of the Open Document Format it will save you some headaches down the road when you save a document and at the last minute realize you saved it in the wrong format.
  • TheFarm2004, MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#29 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have both MS Office and Open Office on my pcs at work. My boss could not his powerpoint file and call me to fix it.
I used Open Office to open and saved the file back so that he could use it in powerpoint.
I have had too use Open Office a lot to open files that MS Office could not open.

CCleaner is a good tool to have, but this year they become shareware not freeware.
Tweaknow is good too and it also changed from freeware to shareware this year
Advance System Care is good too. still free, but they have a pro ver. that you can buy. My son brought it and you can put on 3 pcs.
EasyCleaner by Toniarts good old program - still free but hard to find
20/20 viewer a good graphic editor - last update over 10 years ago - but it is one of the best ones out there, other programs still do not do what is does.

Microsoft Fix It - is good too. free to use. saved my butt at work several times
  • MH81, coldone, middleageddeere and 2 others have said thanks

#30 Stubby OFFLINE  

Stubby
  • Member No: 34568
  • 28 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 02:37 AM

I have used Open Office and Libre Office and they work great but I found Kingsoft Office which really does save documents in MS Office format.

http://www.kingsofts...e-freeware.html

• HDWildBill and LilysDad have said thanks