• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Then there were some that you just did not want to go in their house and basically willing to quit the job because you didn't want to go in there LOL

We have more than a few repeat customers with homes like that. A few come to mind, but one in particular passed away last year.

She was sweet as you can be, nicest little old lady you've ever met, but the house conditions and the 50 "untrained" cats lent toward an interesting odor.

She was such a nice lady that instead of going to our boss and requesting he decline service for health reasons, we got creative. The sales team would let us know a day or so before, and we would pack some hand sanitzer, clorox wipes, and vicks vapor rub. We'd take the vicks and put some in each nostril, do the delivery, and then pull around the corner and clean up.

The sad part of this situation, the kids knew and refused to help her... Just waiting for her to kick off so they could bulldozer the place. (took about 3 days after the obit for this to happen) Health department had been involved at one point too and just walked away for some reason... She kind of fell thru the cracks somehow. I hope she's at peace now.

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:19 AM

You've got to watch out for the power consumption of the older fridges. I'm not sure if you have this in the US but up here we have these round labels inside the fridge that tell us what the yearly or monthly power consumption is. A modern average fridge will use 400-500kwh/year. We has some in work that were from the 70's that were rated at 210/month which works out to a whopping 2510kwh/year. At 10 cents a KWH these old clunkers will burn more than 250$ worth of power compared to 50$ for a new one. On top of that in the AC season you have to pay to move that extra heat out of your house. Many people keep the old clunkers as beer fridges or extra fridges and some will run for many years costing the owners big$. You are better off buying a new one then keeping the old ones going. Even a 15year old fridge may use 2 times the power of a new one.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:24 AM

I agree on power consumption, but figuring in longevity of the new ones, it's a scary leap of faith to go replace one anymore. The compressors that have my attention are the new "linear" compressors in the LG fridges. Variable speed, use very little juice, no known problems (yet). Now, if they didn't have so many darned PC boards in them...

#19 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yeah the Pc boards are so expensive it is just about more economical to buy than repair. Going green cost, period. I had to replace a board in one two years ago because the defrost wouldnt work. New board plus diagnostic and install was $400. New "non green" fridge same size was $570. Instead of a tried and true defrost timer that cost $25 to replace, now you have a board.

For the houses that you dont want to go into. A good freind of mine had an Uncle that passed, the uncle was a semi hermit. Collected tractors and didnt own a car,lived by himself all his life. We used tyvek suits, respirators, and shovels to clean out the house. There were over a hundred cats that lived there, and about 50 skeletons that we found. The poor man couldnt have had a sense of smell left.
  • MH81 said thank you