79 replies to this topic

#31 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10348
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 06:30 PM

A question about amperage on that breaker, is there a spec somewhere, or does anyone have that info?

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 06:58 PM

I looked in the manual and MTD parts. No spec I could find. I wonder if an automotive 20 amp circuit breaker would work?

#33 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 07, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Depending on the starter, amperage is anywhere between 18 and 35 amps. You need to know what starter you have. I took a pic of the chart in my briggs one lung repair manual....you should be able to find this book at your local library. It has help me over the years on briggs motors. There is a book for 2 cylinder motors too.

That is a work horse of a tractor. You are gonna like it.
  • Kentrails said thank you

#34 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 12:49 AM

Thanks JBBR, That chart will leave me no doubts!

#35 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 01:59 PM

WELL.......actually, I still have doubts.. The overall length is near 4-9/16ths inches (35 amps) including endcaps.
The actual cylinder that encases the motor is nearer 4-3/8ths inches (20 amp) , I worry because 15 ampers difference may be enough to fry something?
Thank you all for your patience!

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 02:15 PM

The breaker only serves the electrical system OTHER than the actual starter motor. The starter itself is direct from the battery with only the solenoid relay in between. The breaker is between the + on the battery & the rest of the electrical system.
A breaker of 20 amps is plenty as long as you don't add a lot of electrical add-ons.
  • Delmar, Kentrails and Sawdust have said thanks

#37 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 07:05 PM

A breaker of 20 amps is plenty as long as you don't add a lot of electrical add-ons.

Thanx! A 20amper it is..
Now I need a new pinion gear for the starter , cuz I wore the teeth off crankin it over. Kind a funny, aint it? :(

#38 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 05:11 AM

I dunno, olcowhand, Kentrails described in an earlier post that it would not start until he bypassed that breaker. Kentrails, did you mean that it would not turn over? I can see that a breaker could be used to avoid burning up a starter by turning it over too much at one time. breakers normally can be reset, and some are automatically reset when the starter cools back down. Most tractor electrical systems are protected by a fuse, not a breaker.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#39 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 11:48 AM

I am guessing that the breaker was grounding out, the motor was cranking but no spark, does that make sense. The wiring on this is so crazy, I should just start fresh and rewire it, I guess that is what I am doing, I removed the wiring to the lights, to simplify.
I don't know if the flywheel was repolarized when the mag was installed, I hear different opinions on necessity, but I don't know the facts.

#40 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 03:40 PM

I went and found a manual for your tractor and I believe olcowhand is right....on page 29 in the operator's manual for your 990 the electrical one-line diagram shows only a circuit breaker in the electrical system. here is a copy of the manual for your tractor (assuming it is a 1980)

#41 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 06:58 PM

it is a 1979,140-990. The last year of points & condenser. I think I am going to convert it back to OEM and 86 the Magniturd

Edited by Kentrails, July 10, 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#42 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 09, 2012 - 08:41 PM

1979 operator's manual

• Kentrails said thank you

#43 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 09:13 PM

it is a 1979,140-990.

That would actually be an '80. The first two digits represent the product line (14=garden tractors) and the 3rd digit is the last digit of the model year. They didn't start the 990s until '71 so "0" would be an '80
  • Sawdust said thank you

#44 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 01:19 AM

It has been three weeks since shoulder surgery, torn bicep as well as a couple of rotater cuff muscles, I can use my arm some what, so I am back to the issue at hand. I Have spark with the magnito disconnected, but it wont start when wired, it has fuel. I cant tell if this is a Magnitron or some other brand magneto, the tractor is a 142-990. when I enter the #s for the B&S Model-326437-0328-01 I dont get the right manual for model . Do I need to get the flywheel repolarized. I need to know how to wire this thing, one problem is the motor came with points and the gent that put the mag on doesnt remember anything. When it was running it ran very rough, not smooth at all.

So , I think I am going to remove all wires and start fresh, replace all switches, ignition, kill, etc...But I do need to know if this flywheel was repolarized, should I get it repolarized, should I find a magnitron and replace the unknown magneto, and... oh yea... the meaning of life?

Thank you for your patience!

#45 Kentrails OFFLINE  

Kentrails
  • Contributor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 01:31 AM

Well not working any more. There is spark with the mag disconnected, when reconnected it refusses to start, It is a 142-990 with a 326437-0328-01 16 horse B & S, how can I tell if it is a Magnetron or some other brand. Do I need to get the flywheel repolarized, I hear conflicting data on this. I am going to rip all the wires out and replace all the switches. a proper wiring diagram would be nice.

Thanks to all for your continued help.