• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 08:45 PM

I remember back when I worked for our local JD dealer in 1980, we sold some of the first 650's and they always had weird knock/noise at low RPM's
it always cleared up as soon as you increased RPM's.

Congratulations on your new to you 650, I think you will be very happy with it.. :thumbs:
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#32 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 10:34 PM

I'm sure your going to be happy with that. But darned if you did not start something!!
I got a call from my brother about 3:45 this afternoon and he has found an 855 with rebuilt engine &4x4 near St Louis.
It will be a few weeks before I have the money, so will have to see if it's still available then.

#33 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of it!

#34 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'm sure your going to be happy with that. But darned if you did not start something!!
I got a call from my brother about 3:45 this afternoon and he has found an 855 with rebuilt engine &4x4 near St Louis.
It will be a few weeks before I have the money, so will have to see if it's still available then.

Sure, you just had to one up me! LOL

#35 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Congrats! I pray you get many a year of good service and I bet you will! The wiring things sound simple to repair and look at this way, when you fix that it just makes it more your very own tractor, as if it was yours it's entire service life. You can re-do all that and it will give you real ownership and make you proud of your work!

I think you've made a good choice nothing runs like a Deere! LOL! You will enjoy them little sounds and come to know each little sound as time passes. When something new pops up you will hear it almost instantly and you'll know either oops or just a new ware sound.

Congratulations and Like I said, good luck and pray you have many a good fun filled days playing and working with it!

Just remember be safe! New machine and bigger machine so please take care!

Edited by maxedout, June 30, 2012 - 07:33 AM.

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hey, congrats on your new baby.

Looking forward to the pics.

:picsoritsnotyours:

#37 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:20 PM

Here are some pics...I tightened the throttle nut and that works much better now, thanks Daniel. I used the bucket thing to move some sand today and after running it for a while it started to make a new noise. Sounded like water being squeezed/sucked...the guy mentioned the alternator might be making some noise so I kept listening in that area and it did kinda sound like bearings...So, I looked for a new alternator and can't seem to find one online...any ideas there? I was surprised that this tractor has no remote hydraulics...I have seen snow blades on the front of these, anyone know how that works?

Attached Thumbnails

• 650-1.jpg
  • 650-2.jpg
  • 650-3.jpg
  • 650-4.jpg
  • 650-5.jpg

Edited by middleageddeere, June 30, 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#38 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Also, anyone know of a good resource for used tires? It has one pretty good one. Lastly, the left brake seems totally gone, could that be an adjustment or should I look at getting shoes?

#39 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:32 PM

I don't know how mechanical you are but putting bearings and brushes into an alternator is not a big job. Otherwise look in the phone book for someone near you that rebuilds starters and alternators.
There are several ways to add hydraulics to a tractor. You can use a PTO pump or a belt driven pump on the front of the engine. If your crankshaft is splined you can run a pump right of of the crank. I've done it with a power steering pump with good results. You want to find a pump that has a metal reservoir so you can increase it's capacity.
Looks great. I'll bet you were excited to be getting it home. :laughingteeth:

#40 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:36 PM

Check the adjustment on the brakes. If it is almost to the end of the threads it's time for new brakes.
Check your tractor salvage yards for used tractor tires. Also tire dealers and implement dealers. Craig's list
under farm and garden is also a good place to start. Lots of used tires there from time to time.

#41 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 03:55 PM

You have hydraulics for the 3pt lift, so likely there is a block plate you can add between the hydraulic pump & the lift cylinder so as to add remotes. My Massey 1010 has no remotes either, but there is an optional kit to add like I described. On the 1010, this block bolted to the side of the trans housing below the seat on the left. My hydraulic pump is on the left side of my engine, driven by the timing gears. Do you see a pump mounted to either side of the front of the engine?

#42 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 04:24 PM

On my 850 it bolts to the top of the trans house and the control valve sets right there.

You have hydraulics for the 3pt lift

Good catch Daniel. I completely over looked that :rolleyes:

#43 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Sure, you just had to one up me! LOL

Naw it's not so much one upmanship. But if you have caught the drift of my posts over the past year, you would have noticed with my plans to put my acreage into market garden production when I retire (about 4 yrs off).
And while I enjoy my garden tractors, have believed all along a Compact was where I need to be.
Till Dan called, I had every intention of checking out a Kubota B5100E, with tiller, mower, Blade and snowblower(significantly smaller than your 650). I found it on TRactor House in Minnesota.
Or there is a Nice MF 1010 in Ne Iowa about 250 miles
. And there is a JD 755 about 30 miles away. there are several Fords available, but I really need a mounted tiller, which pushes me towards a compact.
. See I'm color blind when it comes to tractors, just trying to find the most bang for the buck.
And pleased to see you got a nice one.

#44 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 08:35 PM

I don't know how mechanical you are but putting bearings and brushes into an alternator is not a big job. Otherwise look in the phone book for someone near you that rebuilds starters and alternators.
There are several ways to add hydraulics to a tractor. You can use a PTO pump or a belt driven pump on the front of the engine. If your crankshaft is splined you can run a pump right of of the crank. I've done it with a power steering pump with good results. You want to find a pump that has a metal reservoir so you can increase it's capacity.
Looks great. I'll bet you were excited to be getting it home. :laughingteeth:

Chris makes a good point on the alternator rebuild. We have a shop in town that is very reasonable. I've found he can rebuild an alternator for less than I can buy. He is very good and fast. My wife has managed to catch two mutlfunction lever(Turn signal,Wiper & cruise control) on her sleeve and broke them. He once called me to pick up the car before I could drive 10 miles home! That would have been an all day job for me.

#45 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Ok new info/question...I worked with the tractor quite a bit today and the "grinding" noise came and went. Definitely sounded like bearings going bad. Anyhow, I investigated this some more and saw that my cooling fan was wobbling all around. It appears that the fan is directly connected to the water pump. Some of the noises were coming from the fan actually brushing against the shroud, but could this also be the bearing noise? And what should my next step be?

Daniel, Good point about the hydraulics, I did not realize you could add on like that.