Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 03:22 PM

650 no contest.

That's actually a YANMAR under the green paint. I've used it's bigger brother, the 750, quite a bit, and it was danged near indestrctible.

There should be a lever under the seat on the left side that you press with your heel for the differential lock.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 03:36 PM

Those are tough tractors. They are built with a centre cast section that bolts to the engine and don't have the frame rail construction that the newer small CUTS like my 2320 have. I think this allows a very tight turning radius and it may actually turn inside the radius of the 420. It wouldn't be that much bigger in real terms unless you have very tight places to get into. In terms of pulling power it wouldn't even be a contest. It looks like the tires are well worn so you may want to count on picking up a couple new rears for it if you are doing any serious work in the woods.

#18 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'd vote for the 650. I'm an American, and in true american fashion "Bigger is Better"! :laughingteeth:

Matt

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 04:35 PM

I posted this pic under another thread, but felt it should go here too to show what these size tractors can do.
I have 81 bales on this 16' trailer with it liking 15 bales on the rear being full. I use a cross bar on the 3pt lift with a hitch ball to move trailers with so I can just back under & lift the jack & all so I don't have to get off. It lifted the front heavy load without getting light steering even. This 1010 is 16hp, so about the same capability range as the JD 650. They can work!!!

DSC00003.JPG
  • Texas Deere and Horse and middleageddeere have said thanks

#20 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 06:19 PM

I agree, all things comparable, I'd go with the 650! I have a 420 &a 790 (27 HP), sounds like the 650 would suit your needs better than the 420. ~~ Lowell

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:01 PM

I know nothing about the Deere models, but in my opinion, go big or stay home.
It's easier, to do less with more, than more with less.
Either way, enjoy your new ride.

Edited by IamSherwood, June 28, 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:53 PM

One other vote for the 650. The smaller tractor would probably not have the (as I know it) Ferguson System for the 3 point. It's a constant feedback often referred to as Draft Control, but it's very handy for depth control and traction balancing when doing ground engagement work.

#23 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:59 PM

I'd vote for the 650. I'm an American, and in true american fashion "Bigger is Better"! :laughingteeth:

Matt

I agree 100% with Matt!

#24 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:07 PM

I posted this pic under another thread, but felt it should go here too to show what these size tractors can do.
I have 81 bales on this 16' trailer with it liking 15 bales on the rear being full. I use a cross bar on the 3pt lift with a hitch ball to move trailers with so I can just back under & lift the jack & all so I don't have to get off. It lifted the front heavy load without getting light steering even. This 1010 is 16hp, so about the same capability range as the JD 650. They can work!!!

Excellent example Daniel.

#25 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, lots of things I did not think about and/or know. I am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon and will update ASAP.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#26 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 07:58 AM

I can't think of a single reason why the smaller would be a better choice other than we love GTs. If I had the choice I think I would go bigger just because bigger means better in some work choices. If you already own a smaller tractor and you're even thinking about logging the bigger would be the ways to go. We did pulp wood cutting for years and even though that isn't a bigger job the Bolens was to light for the work we was doing.

It might be stupid of me to suggest but I would look close at the rubber as in tires and hoses. Those things can give you a good idea how the tractor was serviced and stored. Dry rot happens but excessive I've found normally means sitting out side and some neglect. The engine and tranny sounds like you have covered and got good advice and I learned myself...I would also check the electrics out... If the wiring harness is butchered up that might be a sign to say ummm...

I can't Count the times over the years going to look at a GT or larger tractor and see a good looking machine that some one cobbled up the electrical system and wiring harness. Walked away too..even though it might have been an easy fix I always wonder why it was done to start with...

Edited by maxedout, June 29, 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#27 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 12:09 PM

Wow, this guy isn't going to see me coming this afternoon...I will have a checklist with me now, thanks guys.

#28 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Oh, how I missed the smell of diesel...Well, I got the 650. It just purrs, no leaks, no blow-by (that I could tell) and it really looks good. I tried to remember all the advice that was given and really look it over before getting it. The only two things I am concerned about are the electrical and a kinda funny noise at low RPMS. The good news is the electrical is all fine except two spots; one-someone rewired the rear lights...no biggie, two-looks like someone replaced the alternator wire and just put wire nuts on it. The noise is almost like a tick/knock that goes away with increased RPMs. I think it is a typical diesel noise but it has been awhile...The other question I had was...it has a hand throttle that I believe is supposed to stay where you put it, only it doesn't stay...any suggestions? I will take a lot of pics tomorrow and see what you guys think. My wife was teasing me about how happy I was all the way home.

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Bet you couldn't be more tickled right now! The 2 cylinders make more noise at idle than triples, and being it goes right away is a good thing/sign. If it were something major, most likely it would get louder. Might just be gear lash from the rougher idling twin.
Usually on the inner part of the throttle arm, there will be a locknut you tighten to snug up the keeper.
So where is the video? LOL

#30 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Lets start with the noise. It is what's affectionately known as Yama-hammer. The older Yanmars are noisy at idle and under a hard load. If that's what your hearing you will learn to love it. Nothing to worry about.
The wire nuts are not the worst thing in the world but solder and heat shrink tubing would be the best option next to replacing the whole wire. Wire nuts need to be watched for corrosion or coming loose. By the way, crimp type connectors aren't any better than wire nuts when moisture is involved.
Congratulations on your new purchase. your going to love it!!!