11 replies to this topic

#1 ace69xxx2000 OFFLINE  

ace69xxx2000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 543
  • 22 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Does anyone have pictures of a hydraulic plow for a suburban I saw one once and would like to build one and would like pictures to give me a idea on how to do it thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:17 AM

I've never seen one. Was it an OEM piece? If so,it'd almost have to have been for a hydro as I've never seen a hydraulic add on for the Suburbans either. Of course, I lead a sheltered life and maybe just haven't seen one yet.

#3 ace69xxx2000 OFFLINE  

ace69xxx2000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 543
  • 22 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 01:54 PM

I saw it on a suburban on craigslist but didn't have the funds at the time for another tractor it looked like it had a pump run by a belt from the mule drive

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 08:48 PM

It may have been an option, but regardless, it sounds like a neat add-on.

Hmmm, I have a pump off an old Massey Combine...

#5 superbsuburban OFFLINE  

superbsuburban
  • Member No: 9551
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:05 AM

ive seen one done with power steering pump off a chevy truck,iirc sears never tapped the hydr for a lift on their stuff,older ones anyways,the hitch lifts were electric

im not a hydraulic expert,but itd be pretty simple for the right person

i have an old valk plow,its lift is 12v,self contained,could easily lift anything a suburban would use

its all but 100 degrees here,ill bet plow parts are cheap right now!

#6 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 01:32 PM

I have some documents some where of how to do it with a hydraulic system for raising the roof on a convertable car. Looked pretty slick and easy to do. I will see if I can find it.

EDIT:
I found it! I put it up on my website. It's in the "downloads" section, under the "misc. files" catagory. You will be prompted to create an account, this is mainly in place to keep people from putting viruses up and such.

Here's the link:
Hydraulic lift instructions for Sears Suburbans, GT's, and Customs.

Edited by BillTheTractorMan, July 03, 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#7 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 04:18 PM

I have been thinking of doing the same thing to my ST16. What I would do is bolt the starter ring from an older techy and use it to spin a power steering pump. It would be well hidden in the frame of the tractor but I would still be able to work on it if needed. I would then cut 3 holes in the bottom of the dash for the valves then put a tank where the toolbox is. As for moving the attachments I would have quick connect couplers for the front, mid and rear attachments and when you wanted to tack an attachment off you just un hook it, disconnect the couplers and away you go.

Simple but effective. I wanted to keep the look of the tractor with out having a pump hanging off the side lol.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 05:33 PM

I have been thinking of doing the same thing to my ST16. What I would do is bolt the starter ring from an older techy and use it to spin a power steering pump. It would be well hidden in the frame of the tractor but I would still be able to work on it if needed. I would then cut 3 holes in the bottom of the dash for the valves then put a tank where the toolbox is. As for moving the attachments I would have quick connect couplers for the front, mid and rear attachments and when you wanted to tack an attachment off you just un hook it, disconnect the couplers and away you go.

Simple but effective. I wanted to keep the look of the tractor with out having a pump hanging off the side lol.

Austin, I was thinking of doing the same thing on one with the bendix starter... I thought maybe I could tuck a small pump in the area where the S/G unit used to go and maybe use foot controls for the valves...

It's a pipe dream, I'll probably never get to it, but I was a-starin' the other day...
  • Deck_Drive said thank you

#9 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Austin, I was thinking of doing the same thing on one with the bendix starter... I thought maybe I could tuck a small pump in the area where the S/G unit used to go and maybe use foot controls for the valves...

It's a pipe dream, I'll probably never get to it, but I was a-starin' the other day...

I have the pump to do it I just havent fitted it yet lol. Money is ALWAYS in short supply.

#10 Hugh OFFLINE  

Hugh

• Member No: 1954
  • 155 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 12:36 PM

I see no need to have a hydraulic plow, aside from the cool factor or if the user were to have a physical disability. I can get down pressure with a manual blade and have no issues in that regard. Plus, manual blades are cheaper and easier to fix if/when something breaks.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 04:10 PM

I knew I'd seen those plans somewhere before Bill, for those who don't want to sign up, here is a

DIRECT LINK
  • olcowhand, powerking56, DougT and 3 others have said thanks

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Alan, That is a very cool set up that could be used on any GT.
It sure is nice to find that kinda stuff here at GTtalk, and not need to go anywhere else.
  • olcowhand said thank you