#1 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 02:47 PM

i have a small compressor like this one http://www.cpocampbe...ome-compressors , i also have a air tank from a big truck. what i want to do is make the two into one unit. i had it set up at one time but didnt have enough pressure to work my air gun.
is there a way to turn up the pressure on the compressor ?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 04:15 PM

DS, I would advise against raising the pressure on these units more than 10psi. The oil-less units get hot when pumping higher psi. The "piston" of sorts and rings will melt! Hooking this to a bigger tank can also melt down the pump because the pump has to run so long to catch back up. These have a very low duty cycle of usually no more than 40 to 50%, so they need to be off at least 5 out of every 10 minutes. The pressure control switch under the plastic cover should have a screw to raise/lower the cut-in/cut-out settings.

#3 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 04:19 PM

In my expirence, using a small compressor on a larger tank, usually burns up the compressor. If you try turning up the pressure as well, the compressor will not live long at all.

Matt

#4 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 05:10 PM

thanks Dan and Matt
i guess ill start looking for a bigger on.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 05:20 PM

DS, I had the same idea. Downfall is it only delays the inevitable "not enough pressure to do anything" situation and the pump back up time is twice as long. My compressor is older than I am and has actual valves and oil (even tho it's a small unit), so burn up is not as big a concern, but it still didn't help much or any in the overall time it took to do a job.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 07:56 PM

Another thing the pop off valve is present at a set pressure, so turning it up really won't work. I have tried, so speaking from experience.

#7 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 05:08 AM

Its come to be common-"compressor ; lingo" that folks talk about their compressor in terms of TANK. " I have a 30 gallon compressor" etc etc. Its ALL about the pump. and determining exactly what you want the compressed air to do. Most air tools )air motor driven) won't function below 95 psi, so you can only work when your compressor has built air above 95 to its kick-out pressure.

I like to think of a tank like a bottle of milk with the cream on top-The "cream" represents the VOLUME of air you have in your tank that is usable AND the rest of the air- the milk is NOT usable, because its < 95psi-So, in that case your compressor is replacing what you have used-so the pump head is trying to keep up with you. Yes the bigger the milk jar,the more cream you have and you can run your tool longer, but the pump must be sized to fit your use NOT the tank, and its going to take longer for the pump to recover-and likely overheat.
  • IamSherwood, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 06:29 AM

When I bought the '60 gallon compressor', I researched a lot of them. My obstacle was cost. After looking around and on the net, I picked the Campbell Hausfield VT627505AJ from TSC. #1, it was on sale at that time. #2, SCFM was 10.5 @ 90 PSI, 135 PSI Max. I think it does an excellent job for a single stage. If you are going to use DA sanders or die grinders a lot, you need a two stage. But those are out of my price range. The compressor needs to match the SCFM of the tools you will be using or you will overwork it. Be sure to drain the water out of the tank often, especially when humidity is high.