Snow Plow

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 rdl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10332
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 09:30 AM

A rear mount PTO driven blower is usually cheaper. A 48" one would be a good fit for a BX. You could leave your loader bucket on the front and the blower out back. They come up used for 1000$ typically. It's a standard Cat 1 and 540 pto setup so you are not restricted to brand. You would be backing up to blow snow however which a lot of people don't like. What works well for one person won't be ideal for another. If you have a hill up to the road from the house as I do there are times when the snow and weather conspire to make it a hard slog to push snow up hill. The first major storm after I got my 2320 was deep heavy snow, and as you plowed, the surface of the driveway was almost instantly freezing. All went ok until I hit the hill and then my 3000lb tractor could barely move let alone push snow. Rather than beat my way up the hill I used a walk behind blower to clear a path up the hill. I then ordered a set of chains. This situation happens rarely but I think most people will run into these conditions at some point. If you get a lot of deep heavy snow a blower is worth considering as it is the best solution. Chains are cheap insurance. It may take a year or 2 to get a good feel for what you can do with the BX. Having the rear wheels loaded or using a ballast box along with chains will make a huge improvement for not a lot of $

Thank you Brian, I will add the chains for sure. I am still not sure if I will take the blower or the pusher, but the pusher should be faster. Who knows, maybe i will find a way to get both.

#17 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 3,735 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 09:49 AM

In our area the box type pusher is really popular with crews plowing parking lots of stores that are open 24/7, most only allow 1" to lay before clearing. I was told it works best clearing 1 to 2" at a time. If you like to wait until the storm is over, an angle blade might be a better option. Just a wild idea, what would happen if you would block off the front of your bucket. Say about 4-6" in with a 2 x 12 and use that as a pusher? You would have short sides without the extra snow weight in the bucket.