• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rdl OFFLINE  

rdl
  • Member No: 10332
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:56 PM

Has anyone used one of these Cotech plows? They go right on the FEL. We have a BX 25 and a pretty long laneway. It seemed cheaper then a snow blower.

We saw this in Winchester Ontario.

Attached Thumbnails

• winchester.jpg

Edited by rdl, June 27, 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:58 PM

Welcome to the site! Thanks for joining! I can't help much with the plow question. It looks like you can tilt it over and use it in reverse, pretty cool!
  • rdl said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 01:07 PM

Welcome to the forum! Cool 'front box blade'. LOL Never seen one before! Thanks for posting it up!
  • rdl said thank you

#4 rdl OFFLINE  

rdl
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thanks. Yes you can tip it to pull back the snow. I liked the fact that the paint matched, at first I thought it was a factory plow, till the salesmen showed me the Cotech tag on the side.

I still have some time before the snow hits and we are planning another trip back to the Ottawa area.

I wish there were more attachments for the BX.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 01:43 PM

They must work!! In winter I see them or simular mounted on Skidloaders all over Des Moines in parking lots.
And have watched two Bobcats with that type of blade clear the parking lot where I work. They pile snow as high as the loader will lift, by just pushing up into the pile. Two yrs ago, we got a ton of snow and I saw a Dozer on top of a pile 10 stories high. Last year we hardly got any snow.
The pro's would not be using the box Type Scrapers if they did not work.

My guess it would be fine so long as you don't get big drifts. When the drifts get over 3 ft high it's hard to beat a blower.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 27, 2012 - 01:45 PM.

• rdl said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 02:31 PM

Those are a nice setup. I've not seen them down here in Atlantic Canada. Did you get pricing? The only problem I can see is that without angling you are going to have trouble in a large area with heavy wet snow. You'd have to keep piling it somewhere as the box fills up.
  • rdl said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 02:40 PM

Those are a nice setup. I've not seen them down here in Atlantic Canada. Did you get pricing? The only problem I can see is that without angling you are going to have trouble in a large area with heavy wet snow. You'd have to keep piling it somewhere as the box fills up.

That is a good point Brian!! RDL did not say how long his lane was? My lane is 1/4 mile long and no good place to pile snow.
Most of the lane is elevated and with an angled rear blade the snow could roll over the side. Mounted on a loader straight like that I would have to push the 1/4 mile or push it up so far and then turn at a right angle to the lane and over the side.
A better set up, that would ttake some engineering would be a pickup blade with power angle mounted to the loader?

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 27, 2012 - 02:41 PM.

• rdl said thank you

#8 rdl OFFLINE  

rdl
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 03:39 PM

Our neighbour has a B Series Kubota (heavier then ours) with an angle on it, and he complains that it moves the tractor when he pushes heavier snow. I asked for something that would mount to the bucket, but I was told that that would put the weight too far in front of the loader. I don't need the bucket in the winter time, so I don't mind changing the pins.

Thanks again for the suggestions

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 05:37 PM

It sounds as if your neighbor needs some front wheel weights and possibly even chains. If they don't have ribbed tires, that would be a good first step?

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 07:37 PM

For really heavy snow nothing beats a blower. I have a JD2320 which is about the size of a B series Kubota. I have it loaded down with about 1000lbs of weight and am using a 54" blade. With a blade that narrow I don't get much of the sideways movement you are talking about. One way to help prevent that is to lock the rear dif. which tends to make the tractor go straight. Many people try to push too wide a blade as well which works fine until the snow is really heavy. Clearing snow is a rough job for a small tractor. The conditions vary considerably from storm to storm. I suggest you invest in a set of chains. They aren't expensive for the size to fit a BX and sometimes there is no other solution to good traction, especially if you have a hill on your driveway. . Also weight is good. A ballast box or wheel weight makes a huge difference. A rear mount blower may be cheaper than a front mount for your tractor. You could keep a blade on the front and blower on the back.
  • rdl said thank you

#11 rdl OFFLINE  

rdl
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 10:30 PM

'' He quoted it at less then half the price of the blower but I then I could get it without the top as well, and that dropped the price, total was less then $1,500.oo before taxes for the whole thing and a few hundred less without the wings.''

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 10:55 PM

It would be very interesting to see it in action. i think if you had somewhere to push to as you went down the drive, it would be OK.

And Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us here, Have fun..
  • rdl said thank you

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 05:01 AM

'' He quoted it at less then half the price of the blower but I then I could get it without the top as well, and that dropped the price, total was less then $1,500.oo before taxes for the whole thing and a few hundred less without the wings.''

A rear mount PTO driven blower is usually cheaper. A 48" one would be a good fit for a BX. You could leave your loader bucket on the front and the blower out back. They come up used for 1000$ typically. It's a standard Cat 1 and 540 pto setup so you are not restricted to brand. You would be backing up to blow snow however which a lot of people don't like. What works well for one person won't be ideal for another. If you have a hill up to the road from the house as I do there are times when the snow and weather conspire to make it a hard slog to push snow up hill. The first major storm after I got my 2320 was deep heavy snow, and as you plowed, the surface of the driveway was almost instantly freezing. All went ok until I hit the hill and then my 3000lb tractor could barely move let alone push snow. Rather than beat my way up the hill I used a walk behind blower to clear a path up the hill. I then ordered a set of chains. This situation happens rarely but I think most people will run into these conditions at some point. If you get a lot of deep heavy snow a blower is worth considering as it is the best solution. Chains are cheap insurance. It may take a year or 2 to get a good feel for what you can do with the BX. Having the rear wheels loaded or using a ballast box along with chains will make a huge improvement for not a lot of $

#14 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:10 AM

Welcome to GT Talk rdl! I am sure you will be able to get a plan worked out for your snow removal. Good Luck!
  • rdl said thank you

#15 rdl OFFLINE  

rdl
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Welcome to GT Talk rdl! I am sure you will be able to get a plan worked out for your snow removal. Good Luck!

Thank you, I am sure I will at least have some fun in the snow.