87 replies to this topic

#61 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 07:49 AM

BTW, Ryan, I did not forget about your cover idea. I wanted to get it all together first to make sure I have clearance for what I want to do with my steering supports. I do, so that is on my short list. I'd like to do that and test run video now as soon as possilble - maybe even this afternoon.

#62 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 198 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Awesome man. Great work as always.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#63 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Looks good! I like your seals! :wewantvideo:

#64 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Looks good! I like your seals! :wewantvideo:

Yeah, we'll get video....
I know those seals are overkill. When I was building it, I could only get a very small amount of gear oil to seep around the bearing seals when I'd lean the tranny way, way back. But I really did not want it to fling even a little bit around back there and all over the differential and such. The kicker was that I knew that sealing that hole all up would keep grass clippings from laying in the hole and rotting the steel. Now, I'll sleep at night knowing that neither of those things will happen.

PS, if anybody else wants to fit to one of these tranny's, then if you use the Power King tranny, looks like it already has seals. If you really get lucky, you can find one of these same trannys off a speedex which already has a belt on the input and chain on the output. That would've made my job easy, but the chances of finding one at the right price was almost nill.

Edited by cookiemonster, July 13, 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#65 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Just got home and did a test drive, 2 pictures and a video right off the bat.

Don't pay any mind to the ugly dude on the video.
It didn't stay recording for long. Just long enough to see (on mid-range pulley), 3rd gear, then reverse, then 1st gear, then I stay in 1st and use the glideamatic to back up (notice the lever go rearward). Didn't want to try high-range else i'd fly out of frame too quick. This camera stinks for video. It is not cutting out, it's the audio on the camera that just puts a dead spot in every few seconds.
Attached File  HPIM3036.MPG   8.89MB   39 downloads

Here's just 2 still pics I got.
HPIM3037.JPG HPIM3038.JPG

I've changed my mind on gearing now that it's daylight and I can get the feel of it. This is good with the 10t sprocket on. Going to leave it just the way it is. I'll just use high range most of the time. 1st will be mowing speed, second will be travel around the yard or pull a cart, and third is rolling down the street to the dirt pile.

Edited by cookiemonster, July 13, 2012 - 01:56 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#66 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 198 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 01:57 PM

Very cool. Didn't know you had a foot control on the drive arm?

#67 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Very cool. Didn't know you had a foot control on the drive arm?

Remember this is really an 1107 model at heart. I took a derelict t70b for the sheet metal, sold the t70b axle/frame to guy on craigslist, and gave my 1107 sheet metal to 78Murray on this site. He was using plywood as a seat prior to that. Hence the Franken name on this tractor. Anyway, all of the 1107/1110 models would have the foot control. The earlier models had it as an option only, I believe. You still need the hand lever for when you need to go up a big hill or pull a load... you just can't get enough belt tension from the foot pedal to do those things.
  • KennyP and BowDown have said thanks

#68 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 02:30 PM

That looks great! I am sure you will have much better speed selection. Good job!

#69 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 198 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 04:46 PM

Learn something new every day. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#70 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:07 PM

That looks great! I am sure you will have much better speed selection. Good job!

Yeah, 9 forward speeds in the 3 ranges, but I'm sure that there's a couple, three in there that are about exactly the same. The big gain I get is 3 speeds at any one time without moving a belt. And the strong reverse is key for the next project I already got a start on - a rear bucket. I need to get some topsoil and re-do some spots around the yard. That'll be the test. May start a new thread for the bucket adaptation. A rear bucket is not so special, but I got some ideas around how to make a better and unique lift and dump. We'll see how it goes.

#71 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,478 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 06:59 AM

That sounds like a neat project, Dean. I'll be checking it out. Might get some ideas!

#72 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 198 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Sweet! :wub:

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy III S via tapatalk 2.

#73 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Looking forward to seeing the scoop! Does your panzer have a sleeve hitch?

#74 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 11:00 AM

Looking forward to seeing the scoop! Does your panzer have a sleeve hitch?

Yes, it does. And it is going to be part of the rear dump. I've already got it roughed up and I just need to do some tweeks and final welding before doing any real tests.

I decided not to post a thread on the build of it, because I may want to try and make something of it if it works as well as I think it's going to work. Started with one of those craftsman scoops, but have changed almost every part on it.

I think that everyone prefers front scoops, but the more I looked and researched, the more I believe that you have to have power lift and dump to make a front bucket work half decent. The craftsman scoop in its stock form is on the front and is pretty lame - both in the reviews and on sears site (with video). The big difference about putting it on back is that then the operator can be very close to the controls and get better leverage and range of motion on them. Which is a big deal if you're talking about trying to keep a manual lift/dump and keep it inexpensive. It also makes for a more compact package to stick in the corner of a garage. If you look at a craftsman scoop out of the box, it's a monster with the 2 big levers.

Yeah, so we'll see if it works out. It's going to take a ton of testing if I want to make something of it. Though if I get it working well, I may share the design with a GTT member or three for nuthin. :thumbs: I'll at least post some pics of it sitting or working from a distance. Right now, I got it working with no load only. Just got to make sure everything is just so before I let loose with the welder and gussetting.

#75 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • 198 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 12:19 PM

Awesome. I love your dedication to making ur panzer better and better. Look forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy III S via tapatalk 2.