• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#16 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 02:58 PM

Wow, looks like its gonna work, going to need a helmet and a roll cage now, and hang on tight !!!!
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#17 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Wow, looks like its gonna work, going to need a helmet and a roll cage now, and hang on tight !!!!

Thanks. Trust me it'll work. I know I'm going to find at least one more big obstacle, but I can't see anything big that'll stop it from working.
As far as speed, it's actually only going to get a small bump in top speed. The lowest low is going to be way low. I thought about celebrating completion (soon I hope) by putting it in low-low idling and tying off steering in a tight circle. Put it in a field and grab a six-pack and see how long it takes for it to look like it's going to hit something.
  • BowDown said thank you

#18 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 05:59 AM

Your doing a great job , should be pretty handy having different gears when you need them . Did the Crosly trans use some kind of sealed output bearing or did it use a tube driveshaft like the PK's ? Al

#19 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 07:04 AM

Your doing a great job , should be pretty handy having different gears when you need them . Did the Crosly trans use some kind of sealed output bearing or did it use a tube driveshaft like the PK's ? Al

You know, I don't know what was behind a crosley transmission. The PK's had the drive shaft tube and the speedex's that used this transmission just had a sprocket. That's what this one is getting - it's getting a sprocket right on the output shaft, and that is going to be placed right where the Panzer sprocket is today. I got a new length of chain because I know that it'll need at a few more links. Plus my old chain was 2 different ones spliced together, time for a new one.

#20 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 200 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 08:15 AM

This really has my interest now. The one thing that kind of sucks on the Panzer design is the fact you need to shut down the engine, and manually move the belt to another pulley groove to change drive speeds. Not to mention my mid-mount PTO is going to run off the smallest pulley on the engine so I will be limited to med/fast drive speeds.

If you don't mind me asking.. how much did you score your transmission for?

So if the transmission had reverse one could essentially remove the cast pulley and rubber reverse wheel setup...

Edited by BowDown, June 29, 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#21 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 03:07 PM

This really has my interest now. The one thing that kind of sucks on the Panzer design is the fact you need to shut down the engine, and manually move the belt to another pulley groove to change drive speeds. Not to mention my mid-mount PTO is going to run off the smallest pulley on the engine so I will be limited to med/fast drive speeds.

If you don't mind me asking.. how much did you score your transmission for?

So if the transmission had reverse one could essentially remove the cast pulley and rubber reverse wheel setup...

Yes on all counts. Your head is exactly where mine was when I started this. When I get done, I am planning on using my "low" to run a PTO Belt as well.

I got the tranny for a hundred. That was a lot more than I'd originally hoped for. But if you watch the power king trannys on e-bay and craigslist, a rebuilt one goes for about $250. The parts to do a rebuild are about $60, mostly in the main bearings. So, I'll be in it for $160 when it's done.

I could remove the rubber wheel and pulley, but I need the PTO out on the end anyway so it'll stay. Also, I'm going to be mowing in low gear, so hitting the reverse rubber when I'm in low will give me a nice slow reverse using the stock panzer reverse.

#22 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 200 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 03:42 PM

Very cool. Didn't think of driving the PTO off the drive side pulley... but i guess if you don't need the pto running while the tractor is not moving that would work. What style PTO? Kinda like my 2000rpm mid-mount or the slower 540rpm?

Sent from my cell.

#23 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Thanks. Not really got an official pto in mind, Mr. Bow. I was just thinking about running a generator heador even a panzer right-angle gearbox over on the drivers side. If I did that, then I may think about finding a snowblower for a t70.

#24 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Parts came in today. If it's slow I should get some solid time tomorrow and Wed morning to work on it. Just a teaser for now. Stay tuned. Same Bat-Day, same Bat-Channel.

#25 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 11:53 AM

We had some questions going on with Mr. B Down about gear ratios, so I thought I'd just post what I have in my build thread

STOCK PANZER:
Pulley #1 2.75:1
Pulley #2 2.00:1
Pulley #3 1.50:1
Chain to Diff: 6:1

PowerKing Tranny
1st & R: 3.294:1
2nd: 1.721:1
3rd: 1.000:1

I changed the drive sprocket from 8 to 12 tooth so my:
Chain to Diff is 4:1

You can get overall gear reductions by multiplying them. For example:

1st pulley on a stock panzer has a total gear reduction to the rear axle of 2.75 x 6 or 16.5:1
3rd pulley on a stock panzer has a total gear reduction to the rear axle of 1.5 x 6 or 9:1

New drive train and the belt on the 3rd pulley and the tranny in first gear: 1.5 x 3.294 x 4 or 19.764:1
New drive train and the belt on the 3rd pulley and the tranny in third gear: 1.5 x 1 x 4 or 6:1

So you see, I should be able to run on the panzers 3rd pulley about all the time. There it will have a first gear which is lower than stock first. And 3rd gear will be higher than stock 3rd. I should really only need the 2nd pulley when I need more gear variation or if I need a very low stump pulling gear.

At least this is what I hope. Fingers crossed.

Edited by cookiemonster, July 03, 2012 - 11:54 AM.

• BowDown said thank you

#26 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Okay, today made decent progress. Got the tranny re-built and fitted the shafts to their ends. Got as far as doing a rough fitting. Have to modify the front mount some before it can be lowered down completely into place. Also put a picture of the hub which connects the transmission to the 3/4 inch shaft.
IMG-20120703-00105.jpg IMG-20120703-00108.jpg

#27 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 03:20 PM

Looks Good :thumbs:
Looking forward to seeing more

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 03:22 AM

Dean, glad the dry fit was a success. Thanks for the detailed follow ups, this will really help the next guy.

#29 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Meant to keep the ball rolling this morning but decided to sleep in instead. Now it's 90 outside and there's other things I'd like to do for the 4th.

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 09:46 AM

I am glad the dry fit worked out and will let you move farther in your project! Keep up the good work!