87 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:13 PM

All this recent Panzer activity on the site gave me the jonesing to start my next project. Not as big as the last, but good enough for a builid thread. So any idea what I decided to tackle in the cookiemonstergarage? Can you say 9-Speed, kids?

Before I get started, here's the links to the first 2 build threads for history:
http://gardentractor...r-build-thread/
http://gardentractor...build-thread-2/

Anyway, the tractor doesn't NEED anything. But, heck, the grass ain't growing and I'm getting no seat time, so may as well improve. The thought of putting a transmission in this first occured to me when I saw in one article that the panzer had an optional 2-speed gearbox. I thought that would be a big deal as I think first gear is a little too fast for some mowing and plowing (though I don't plow, I'd like to someday). The kicker is when I thought about building a rear dump bucket (next project) off the sleeve hitch lift I have. See, reverse is really fast on a panzer, and you can slip it while mowing or whatever, but I wouldn't want to back a bucket into a stone pile with a stock panzer reverse. It's already a little dicey if you have a dump cart full of dirt. I try to avoid reverse altogether in that situation.

A 2-speed box would have been pretty good for such a thing, as low would cut reverse in half. But I knew my chances of finding one for a decent price was almost nill. After some research, I've decided to use the same transmission as a power king. 3-speed plus reverse. Times the 3 pulley locations on a panzer is 9 forward speeds. Though I'll probably only ever use 3 most times. I've calculated out the gear ratios, and I'm increasing the drive sprocket at the rear from 8 to 12 teeth. With the stock panzer belt on high gear, I've calculated that first gear on the power king tranny will be slightly lower than the stock Panzer firstgear. While 3rd gear on the power king tranny will be 33% faster than the current high gear (because of the increase in drive sprocket).

So, on to the build. What I found for the right price wasn't an actual power kind tranny, but the same model was put in a Crosley Car (early 50's) with the only difference being a place to connect a speedometer. The plan is to build a full replacement for the existing driveshaft, though still using the 3 belt pulley on the front of the drive shaft. Did my measurements and started. So far, I've got some of the tranny support and connection to the drive shaft completed. I am going to mate a standard 3/4 inch shaft - the one the panzer pulley needs - to the tranny by use of the center of a power king clutch disc welded to the 3/4 inch shaft. Still need the clutch disc plus new tranny bearings and gaskets on order now. Pictures...
IMG-20120626-00063.jpg IMG-20120626-00062.jpg IMG-20120626-00064.jpg

Notice the jerry-rigged shifter retaining spring on the top. It actually works okay, think I'll keep it.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:28 PM

That is a t92 transmission and was also used by speedex in some tractors. It's a good strong unit! As I started reading this I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if he put a duel tranny in it like a PK?" Not quite a duel set-up, but I will take it! LOL! It should have a retainer spring under the cover to hold the shifter in place. You may also want to build up the button on the end of the shifter rod. Its an easy task and I posted a link below for you on how to do it.

http://www.speedextr...x_files/t92.htm
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:35 PM

That is a t92 transmission and was also used by speedex in some tractors. It's a good strong unit! As I started reading this I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if he put a duel tranny in it like a PK?" Not quite a duel set-up, but I will take it! LOL! It should have a retainer spring under the cover to hold the shifter in place. You may also want to build up the button on the end of the shifter rod. Its an easy task and I posted a link below for you on how to do it.

http://www.speedextr...x_files/t92.htm

You're right on all counts. I'd take apart and re-do the spring, but the guy I found parts with says that the pins holding the shifter forks to their respective shafts are a bear to get out. All the same, I'd rather spend my time working on mounting it, than on the shifter. It works okay, and it'll be real easy to get the top back off later for a rebuild if I want. For now, it'll get the bearings (sealed) at both ends of the tranny. It will be duel tranny in a messed up kind of way. The panzer has 3 belt grooves on the engine and the front of the drive shaft to pick from for 1,2,3. 2 Power king trannys would never work in this space. Believe me, I thought about it all. Thanks!

Edited by cookiemonster, June 27, 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have rebuilt four of those shifter buttons. Two on the '75, one on the '71 and one on my neighbors '64. The forks should just have roll pins holding them to the shaft. The first one I did I had a hard time with the roll pins. The trick is too leave the take out the ball in the detent then hit the forks with a hammer to slide them into the end and it will push the cap off. Then the rod will slide out until you get to the shifter forks. Put the roll pin over were the big spring is (or in your case was) and then you will have all kinds of room to push the roll pin out. If you dont put it over the big spring then the cover will stop the roll pin from coming all the way out. And THAT is why people have a hard time getting the pins out. Does that make sense? Because I kinda confused myself.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 01:14 PM

This ought to be cool! Gonna hook a speedometer to it too? That would be real neat!

#6 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 200 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 01:25 PM

Wow this thread rocks! I am curious how you're going to fit this? :lol:

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sounds like a great mod/project. Thanks for posting.

#8 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Ryan, Thanks for the tip. I may try to rebuild the top, just not yet. These aren't even roll pins holding the shifter fork on. There a hollow pin with a head on one end and knurled on the other. The guy on the phone had lots of experience with the crosley version and said they were a p-i-t-a.

Kenny, no speedo. I don't have the gear for it. And even if I did, it would probably say 50 mph when I'm doing 4.

Mister Bow D, It's going to fit with very little to spare. I'm going to need to cut away the sprocket cover some to allow that big rear of the tranny to go through. No problem, that piece is the worst piece of metal on the tractor, so I have no problem cutting it. The tranny an the brackets together will fit into the space behind the drive lever. I've attached an overly simple drawing of where I'm going with this. If you're familiar with the Panzer drive then it should make sense. Since I have an 1107 model driveshaft, it is quite a bit longer than the older t70 style.

panzertrannybuild.JPG

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 10:20 PM

This is going to be a very interesting build to watch. Keep us up to date on how it's coming along.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 05:35 AM

You're probably right on the speedometer. They used to make adapters for the cable to get the speedo to read right, not sure if you could find one to set yours right, plus 2.5 mph might be hard to read. LOL

#11 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • 200 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 06:17 AM

Very cool. Are you keeping the original tension style 'clutch' or going with an electric clutch?

#12 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Very cool. Are you keeping the original tension style 'clutch' or going with an electric clutch?

Thanks.
The original clutch. Try to imagine everything the way a stock panzer is except the rear-most 14 inches of the drive shaft being replaced by a transmission instead of a solid shaft and sprocket. Simple thought, but not so easy to fit all the pieces to make it happen. I wish I could find a picture of a panzer with the original 2 speed gearbox or I'd post it here. I'd seen pictures online before. It's just like the way they mounted that gearbox, just a little bigger.

#13 BowDown OFFLINE  

BowDown
  • 200 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 08:33 AM

Sweet. So the transmission is going to swing with the driveshaft or are you going to install a universal joint?

Sent from my cell.

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Exactly.
It will swing with the driveshaft. I'm going to work on the support shaft which it pivots on today.
There won't be any universal joint necessary, but I am going to use the hub out of a power king clutch as the coupler to the drive shaft. Any (very slight) mis-alignment of the shafts would be allowed by that joint - kind of like the slip joint on a truck driveshaft. I am going to take pains to make sure that the alignment of the driveshaft and the tranny input shaft are as straight as possible. The joint will also get a grease fitting to make sure that it can slip very slightly forever.

Now I don't know when I'll get the powerking clutch disc as the people I ordered it off of never completed the order on Tuesday :(
There's a lot I can do without out it, but at some point I will get stuck without the parts to complete the driveshaft or rebuild the lower half of the tranny.

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 02:06 PM

I got some good solid time on it from late morning to just a few minutes ago. I had most of the pieces cut so I could just about finish mocking up the parts today. I still need to put the brackets on the tube which the slide for the drive handle goes through. But I put it all together so I could take stock of where I am and you guys could see what I'm shooting for. The mounting shaft is way too long, but I need to wait till I get the old one out before I cut it to length. It may not look square with the rest of the assembly, but it is and must just be the camera angle causing that.

IMG-20120628-00065.jpg

And here is where I need the hub from a clutch disc to join these 2 shafts together.

IMG-20120628-00066.jpg

You may notice that the welds around the shaft housing are a little out of alignment. That's just where I picked to make the last final welds after lining up the shaft to the tranny. I'll finish weld and clean it all up real nice after I get the shaft joined and make sure that everything is functioning properly.

Here is the best picture I had in my gallery of what my drive shaft looks like now.
http://gardentractor.../7787-hpim2758/