• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 05:33 PM

The tongue will be one that can pull this and turn it. As far a emulating anything, I first have to see something to emulate. That I haven't seen!
Front axle will have ability to let the wagon 'twist', kind of like a GT front axle. Tongue will be able to go up/down, like going thru a ditch. Steering will be when the tongue goes left/right. Where the tongue pivots is why I asked the question. I am going to try for maximum ground clearance on this.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Kenny, in this pic the pivot is in front of the axel and the linkage is behind.
Posted Image
This seems to be the most common used today. We had a couple of styles growing up. One that had the pivot behind the axle and the linkages in front, and one like above.

I do know that you will be happiest if all the linkages are straight line. Funny forces or angles will bend the steering linkages over time.
  • KennyP and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 05:11 AM

Thanks, Alan! That's a bit different than what I had pictured in these old brain cells. I'll come up with something that will work. I was thinking more of a GT style front axle mount. Didn't want the twist these put into the wagon bed. Maybe I need to draw up what I'm thinking. Maybe I could understand it better that way.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Kenny, you can still use a GT style axel. I was just showing you where the tongue pivot vs the "tie rods" are.

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Gotcha! I started a sketch in DeltaCad, lets me look and think about what problems there might be. I have been working on the tires/wheels for the dump trailer, as the one's on it right now are the back tires for this. Been thinking how wide I want the tires to be. I'm thinking a bed size of about 42"W X 60"L. Wheels/tires would be about 36-38" overall width, give it a good stance. That's about where most GT front axles are.

#21 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Kenny, With farm wagon gear, all the load is carried by the body of the wagon. The load is transferred to the wagon gear at 4 points very close to the tires. If you look at Alan's photo, you will see 2 notches in the cross members of the wagon frame, that is where the frame of the box or body attaches the the gear. If you build yours the same way, the frame only needs to hold the axles together.

#22 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Since I don't plan to carry any weight to the ratio these were built for, I'm going to take a little 'poetic' license! Plus I would use up a lot of metal trying to make it like that! My only way to cut slots like that is with a 4-1/2" angle grinder. Mine will be more in tune of the old Model T or A trailers. Maybe 'farmer built"?

#23 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 09:39 PM

OK guys, Since my wife is the camera operator I asked her to get pics of what I have done so far tomorrow. The week end yielded very good progress. Once all the parts are rounded up it doesn't take very long to throw a frame together.
  • KennyP said thank you

#24 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:00 AM

Looking forward to the pics, I have had the same idea rolling around in my head, I was thinking of stripping and modifing an older gt. Just adjusting the steering to a tongue and widening the wheel base.

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Kenny, in this pic the pivot is in front of the axel and the linkage is behind.
Posted Image
This seems to be the most common used today. We had a couple of styles growing up. One that had the pivot behind the axle and the linkages in front, and one like above.

I do know that you will be happiest if all the linkages are straight line. Funny forces or angles will bend the steering linkages over time.

You are so right about the bent steering linkages. I remember over the years seeing very few wagons on the way to the elevator that did not shimmy down the road instead of pulling straight!! Maybe why you see few 4 wheelers on the road and mostly tandem axle traier gravity boxes? That and the capacity, I once asked my uncle why there were so many gravity boxes.
He said see that 16Ft Chevy Truck of mine, my Gravity box holds 80 more bushels.
Then of course aunt Helen had to tell me about the time the axle busted on the gravity box and spilled 80 bushels across hyway 92 in downtown Oskaloosa while she was going to the elevator.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 02, 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#26 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:06 PM

and the pics we've all been waiting for.... Hopefully this can help your minds come up with some more ideas. I just used what was laying around. Put 16x6.50-8 tires on it too.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg

• KennyP and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#27 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Cowboy, that is exactly what I had in mind. You built one just like the Big boys. Nice job, looks Great. :thumbs:
  • Dieselcowboy said thank you

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Wow, you got a bunch of work time out of the weekend, I see.

That looks great. Could you throw dimensions out there?

#29 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Sure I'll try to get them for you tommorrow. Hopefully I'll get a 3 1/2 by 6 foot floor out of it.

#30 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:55 PM

That looks great! I'm still trying to figure mine out. I don't have pipe for a frame like that, so I will have to do something different.