OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 04:33 PM

It's about 6 1/2 hrs. each way, and I'll be on I-80 and I-81 for most of the trip, so I doubt that I'll be seeing much 'on the side of the road' goodies :D

I've been over I-80 a couple of times recently. I gotta say that PA has some really great scenery.
  • MH81 said thank you

#17 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 04:50 PM

Wow, good for you. Enjoy your drive.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Glad you got one checked off your bucket list.

Thanks for commenting on PA's scenery. I'm kinda partial to it. Only downfall this time of year, the weeds have grown above the hood on the derelicts. Kinda cuts down on your chances of seeing them from the road.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Oh, and have a safe trip, I hear 80's under some pretty good construction right now. I know it was for PA Plow Day, a real darned mess in a couple of places.

#20 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 06:40 PM

congrads on your new attachment looks good o.b. hope you're staying up on your **set okay?lolo inChrist

Edited by goodnews, June 26, 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 08:04 PM

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Well that thread title sure says how you're feeling.
Congrats. Feels good, as you approach a goal you set out to accomplish, doesn't it.

I've got a feeling that you wouldn't have to post, if you ever won the big lottery.
We'd be able to hear you above the roar of our Gts. :smilewink:

#22 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Sweet looking attachment, drive safe and make sure ya got some room for those unexpected deals that crop up when you stop to eat and somebody says "what is that for?" oh really, ya this old boy down the road from me has some of them Bolens out back, PA seems full of em for some reason.
GoodTravels.

#23 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 09:35 PM

you should like it.
I have a pull type with a 5 hp B&S on it.
You can still buy the tines for it. Last I checked the are around $2.75 and I can not remember where.

good luck and have fun and a safe drive

#24 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Wilkes Barre/Scranton area of the state. About an hour and 15 minutes east of me. Might be in that next of the woods next week to take my daughter to Steamtown (she LOVES trains). Have a fun ride.

#25 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:59 PM

That's a nice attachment. Have a safe trip.

#26 GT Man OFFLINE  

GT Man

• Member No: 139
  • 38 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 05:28 AM

Would this be something you could pick up with the "Glider"? HA

#27 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 06:18 AM

Have a safe trip, and hopefully you find more treasures on the way.

#28 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 12:56 PM

These EZ vac systems were used on almost all makes of garden tractors in the 60's and 70's. As far as I know the common bagging systems you see on today's mowers didn't come around until the late 70's/early 80's.
These were the best things available at that time, along with the pull behind lawn sweepers. You will not be able to adapt a newer bagging system on these Bolens because the deck and blades were not designed for this.(Not enough air flow/ suction is created to push the grass up a chute)

If you want to collect the clippings I would just get one of those pull behind sweepers.

I have a tow behind AgriFab leaf vacuum that I use on my Ariens, but I have used in the past with my 800. It generates a lot of suction, so I imagine it would work well with any tractor. If you just want to pick up lawn clippings, a sweeper would be fine, but for leaves you can't beat the pull behind units.

#29 rdl OFFLINE  

rdl
  • Member No: 10332
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 01:02 PM

You will be right next to Nescopeck State Park. Make a day of it and enjoy the great outdoors.

Edited by rdl, June 27, 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#30 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 02:30 PM

These EZ vac systems were used on almost all makes of garden tractors in the 60's and 70's. As far as I know the common bagging systems you see on today's mowers didn't come around until the late 70's/early 80's.
These were the best things available at that time, along with the pull behind lawn sweepers. You will not be able to adapt a newer bagging system on these Bolens because the deck and blades were not designed for this.(Not enough air flow/ suction is created to push the grass up a chute)

If you want to collect the clippings I would just get one of those pull behind sweepers.

Well, that sucks that you can't use a "modern bagger" on these old tractors. I was curious about it though. But you're probably dead on and the clippings would just get stuck in the chute trying to push them up into the bag. However, I have seen "baggers" like these on commercial units before:

http://www.wrightmfg...6FC911F6BC1435C

http://www.packemrac...s-catchers.html

Could something like this work on my deck since it doesn't have to push thu grass up a chute into the bag? It kind of sticks out a lot beyond the discharge chute, so IDK how that would affect the balance of the deck on the tractor...? Of course none of these seem to be made for Bolens tractors in particular, so no idea how much it would need to be modified to make it fit...

I have a tow behind AgriFab leaf vacuum that I use on my Ariens, but I have used in the past with my 800. It generates a lot of suction, so I imagine it would work well with any tractor. If you just want to pick up lawn clippings, a sweeper would be fine, but for leaves you can't beat the pull behind units.

Yeah, but the biggest issue for me (beyond the extra cost) is that these bagger vacs are so huge and cumbersome to use, let alone transport. I'm looking for something small and compact that would work that I can transport with me to use when I mow other people's lawns to collect the clippings. Yes, I'm too lazy to rake! lol... Plus that would take forever for each lawn...

Does anyone know if they made a Bolens sweeper attachment? I have a line on a Craftsman sweeper that might work out, but would be cool to have an original Bolens one to match the tractor.... Just a thought.

(Oh, and sorry for hi-jacking Old Buzzard's post!! Hope that works out for you and enjoy the drive going to get it! That's half the fun is driving out to pick something up that you bought online, I think at least!)