Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

If You Had A Choice To Rebuild Or Get A New Engine?

engine replacement?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 02:29 AM

Rebuilding a Kohler is not that hard. Plus you have the folks here to help you along. I say rebuild. Only way I would go repower is if the rod was hanging out a hole in the side of the block!

For $350, that is a great price, for a complete rebuild ready to drop in. I agree not much to the kohlers, but, you have disassembly time, then measurement time, then part expense, then lookin up specs, etc...for $350 be done with it and drop it in and go...I really think you'll be money in the bank ahead...

GL-
for the guys who like repowers they do have a point. I however would never even consider it for a tractor of mine...

#47 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted July 04, 2012 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for taking the time and effort to find the link. It's nice to see how other people do things. Have to give him credit, he has put his heart into making it look good. The muffler sounds good too.

#48 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 11:50 PM

IMHO the kid did a fine job...and I'd bet he is a GT guy. Hard to separate the excitement and joy this fella is having...kudos to him. He def has a lot to be proud of...everyone is all about the diesels and I do agree they are perfect for our applications, I have no qualms whatsoever about using the stock gasoline engines and restoring them to perfectly running original condition...

IMHO this hobby not only has room for the purists amongst us but also the custom guys...and it serves us all well to see a young guy like this having so much fun enjoying our hobby...I mean it doesn't take to much of an imagination to read or think of other things the 16 yo could be doing ...less productive...right?

Plus IMHO he did one hell of a job...

Now why in sam hell is the engine cover red?

Edited by NutCASE, July 06, 2012 - 11:52 PM.

• RoosterLew said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine replacement?