Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

If You Had A Choice To Rebuild Or Get A New Engine?

engine replacement?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Kohler looks oh so good in red too. This is my K301 I rebuilt a while back. :thumbs:

Matt

I could not agree more Matt!!!!

#32 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 03:25 AM

Well, I think I have to disagree...Must be my bad experience with rebuilds and my unique situation. I have a 317 with the series one engine (splish, splash). I have been planning ahead and deciding what I will do with it when it's time. I went back and forth for a while and have heard some horror stories about rebuilds...The deal sealer for me was the fact that I found a 20 hp diesel for $1600 that will work, so for me, I think I will always lean towards re-power.

#33 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 01:52 PM

The deal sealer for me was the fact that I found a 20 hp diesel for $1600 that will work, so for me, I think I will always lean towards re-power.

That should be an interesting project.

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Now you're talking! DIESEL is the way to go!

#35 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well, I think I have to disagree...Must be my bad experience with rebuilds and my unique situation. I have a 317 with the series one engine (splish, splash). I have been planning ahead and deciding what I will do with it when it's time. I went back and forth for a while and have heard some horror stories about rebuilds...The deal sealer for me was the fact that I found a 20 hp diesel for $1600 that will work, so for me, I think I will always lean towards re-power.

Diesel 317 sould make one heck of a good working tractor, I can't wait to see this build, keep us updated on it's going. :thumbs:

#36 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Is that an air cooled or Water cooled engine? I"ll be watching for the repower. I have a 314 with a cracked block.

#37 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 02:08 PM

All the talk of diesel engines made me go in search of! I found several that would mount to the 214 but of course it would take some modifications. I got to admit that would be cool to ride around with a small diesel engine but I wonder how the thing would hold up as of course they are imported. Not sure of the makers as most are unheard of in my part of the world.

got to admit though the prices are that bad when compared to cost of a re-build or re-power.

I actually got lucky enough to see a John Deere 214 a kid on YouTube used a small diesel engine to repower his. He doesn't really go into a lot of details but the look was nice and it appeared he had it working pretty well. He did do some changes to the covers and such but all in all it was still a nice done mod.

Edited by maxedout, July 01, 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#38 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 02:43 PM

How about a link to the video so the rest of us can enjoy it?
  • maxedout said thank you

#39 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Is that an air cooled or Water cooled engine? I"ll be watching for the repower. I have a 314 with a cracked block.

Brian, they are air-cooled. Which I personally prefer, just simpler. Here is a link.

http://www.carrollst...tegory_s/36.htm

#40 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Air cooled is a lot simpler typically without radiators and water pumps to worry about. I'll check out those engines. The problem with the 314 is that the Kohler K's have a low crankshaft because the oil pan is below the motor mounts. Most singles will not fit without raising the PTO and using U joints for the hydro drive. Some are too wide to fit without butchering the frame. The 10HP diesels fall into that category. The inclined cylinder Honda clones can be fitted in but the engine covers won't fit with the cylinder sticking out one side. Finding another K series engine seems to be the best bet. If that doesn't happen then I might consider alternatives.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#41 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Wow lots of good answers and options- all are right depending on circumstance-size ,fit $$ etc, etc. I've never been a BS fan, but I have a 15 year- old16 HP Vanguard in my Gravely Commercial thats as reliable as my pickup and has not the slightest bad habit.
(didn't think I'd ever say that)

#42 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 06:02 AM

Those Vanguards have an awesome rep for reliability. I think I read somewhere that B and S partnered with a Japanese company to do the design work. If that's the case it was a new design from the ground up.

#43 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:04 AM

How about a link to the video so the rest of us can enjoy it?

I never considered anyone wanting to see that video, it took my like two hours of searching my history on YouTube to locate this video, I was wrong it was a 216 John Deere, the kid that did this is young but he did a great job or so it appears.

My kid and grand son spent hours checking videos, I guess I went through 1000 Thomas The Train Video's to find this one!

I really hope you guys enjoy this!
  • CASENUT, middleageddeere and Cvans have said thanks

#44 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 09:09 AM

Doesn't really seem like a gt guy, but you can tell he really cares for/about that JD.
  • maxedout said thank you

#45 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 10:11 AM

Doesn't really seem like a gt guy, but you can tell he really cares for/about that JD.

Yea he's just a kid but you got to admit he did a good job there and saved that 216 from the scrape yard.

I'd just like to know what kind or who made the engine...and what all he did to fit it..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine replacement?