Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

If You Had A Choice To Rebuild Or Get A New Engine?

engine replacement?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 06:59 PM

The K301 in my cub is a real workhorse compared the 11.5 hp in my snapper the Kohler has tons more torque than the B&S?

#17 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 07:44 PM

... nothing beats a good old Kohler!! ...

Except an even better old Wisconsin :D :D :D

'Cuse me while I get a running head start on the Kohler guys that will be :firejumper: and wanting to :shoot2: me :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 26, 2012 - 07:44 PM.

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#18 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 07:53 PM

'Cuse me while I get a running head start on the Kohler guys that will be :firejumper: and wanting to :shoot2: me :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

Never had a Wiscinsin but they would have to be real good to be better than the best. Am I catching up? LOL

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Rebuild the K hands down...UNLESS you're talking diesel repower!

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Better get on a GT soon! You look like your getting tired! I am catching up! :flamethrower: :shoot3: :shoot2:

#21 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 09:02 PM

You better be running that Wisconsin motor at full throttle because I am catching up also!!!! LOL!! :shoot2: :shoot2: :shoot2:

Edited by Wheel Horse Kid, June 26, 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#22 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 09:36 PM

If it was mine I would definitly rebuild over repower. Keeps the tractor more original and also gives you a chance to up the power a bit. The problem I have is I wouldnt do just a basic rebuild, id be punching the cylinder out as big as possible, putting in long stroke crank, probly a high compression piston, etc.. lol

#23 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Kohler looks oh so good in red too. This is my K301 I rebuilt a while back. :thumbs:

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05293.JPG
  • DSC05292.JPG
  • DSC05296.JPG

Edited by bowtiebutler956, June 26, 2012 - 09:37 PM.

• Wheel Horse Kid said thank you

#24 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I have my K321 apart waiting for a bore and hone. The valve job I do on my own. I can't believe how little wear is on the parts even after 37 years. I recently rebuilt my 12 hp Briggs and a 17 hp Kohler Courage after the block cracked. Both those motors are running strong. I agree with all the rest. Best of luck!

#25 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:06 PM

Kohler looks oh so good in red too. This is my K301 I rebuilt a while back. :thumbs:

Matt

Now that is just beauty in every shape and form right there!!! Great looking K!!! :thumbs:
  • bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#26 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:46 PM

Yep, I'm with the rest of them, rebuild for sure. Getting ready to do the one in my MF14.

#27 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 05:48 AM

I'm going to call around today and get quotes from all the shops here locally on a re-build. I think at this point I would start with the 214 and then if it's successful the 210.

That would be a winter project for sure and in the mean time I could start getting my parts together. I know I will need a complete gasket set.

What's everyone's opinion on those complete re-build kits on EBAY? They include pistons, rings, rods, valves and guides and a lot of other things. I am just not so keen on an after market crank rod. I think at this point I would spend the extra money to get a Kohler Rod.

The cam too is something I am concerned about, I was reading the cams have issues with wear where the rod that goes back to the points are and I haven't found a new replacement cam just yet so I am not sure about how much that would cost or if my old one could be machined and built back up to spec.

I do know one thing certain when I do this the governor gear is being replaced most positively!

In fact if my mind doesn't change I think I would like to do a complete re-build including the crank and bearings.
I'd like to do this not re-use any of the old parts but for the block itself.

Depends upon the expense of but still that would be my choice or have everything machined back to original spec.

Problem is around here we just don't have any good shops for Garden Tractors.
We have a lot of back yard places and some of them are very good but it's hard to depend upon them at all.

I have a shop not 2 miles from me that is supposed to be professional. Yet I have called them several times and have yet to actually speak to anyone and get a return phone call. I don't like doing business with a place that one can't answer the phone and two one that will not return a phone call or email.

The other shop here locally charges you if you walk in the place and even though they do answer the phone they are very expensive and will not even consider a used part. If it's not new they do not want to mess with you at all..so I am sort of limited on who or where to go..

Suggestions on that would also be helpful? If you know of a place I could mail stuff to maybe that would be an option for me also..

My friend Allen knows a place in another town that does good machine work. So that maybe something I can check into...

I'd add too, that my health issues may hinder me in a re-build, If it requires me lifting stuff heavy I am doomed on that. My son has a cherry picker he said I could use and that might help me out but too I have to be very careful about big jobs and being I have never done a re-build I am sure it would be a huge job for me to do on my own.

BUT THE HEART IS WILLING! GOD WILLING I AM WILLING TO TRY! I CAN TRY!

Edited by maxedout, June 27, 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Once you get the block up on the bench, there won't be a ton of lifting until reassembly, especially if you have a large enough bench you can spread out on. Dont have to put stuff down and out of your way. BTW, What's your weight limit?

Once you get it apart, you'll need to check the cylinder for diameter, scoring, and out of round. If it's within specs, a good honing is probably all that's needed. At that point, I don't see the need for a machine shop if you are going with all new parts. No crank to turn down, etc. Any needed tools can be used for the next one too.
  • Toolpartzman and maxedout have said thanks

#29 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Have you downloaded the Kohler Service Manual found here: http://gardentractor...service-manual/ ? I also saw some for specific models. Give it a read thru, especially the last section. Then, you have more info. Having a shop do the labor can get expensive. They are really simple to work on.
  • maxedout said thank you

#30 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Have you downloaded the Kohler Service Manual found here: http://gardentractor...service-manual/ ? I also saw some for specific models. Give it a read thru, especially the last section. Then, you have more info. Having a shop do the labor can get expensive. They are really simple to work on.

Yep I actually have a CD with the service manual on it..I bought it for my Christmas present to myself! LOL! Yea I have looked over a lot of the guide and specs and somethings I think I can do but others I am not sure of..I guess I would just have to see it done and If I can find any videos on rebuilding a small engines I would be good to go if they had a good detail to them..

Everything I've wanted to do to my fourtrax, I watched Videos On YT and learned how to put breaks on, adjust the valves, rebuild a carburetor and so on and on..even adjusting the clutch and installing my winch...

Even learned how to Rebuild a winch which I might add was a lot easier than I imagined..

I hope I can find some good vids on Kohler Engines..I am sure some guru has made something or at least I got my fingers crossed!
  • KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine replacement?