• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dons916 OFFLINE  

Dons916
  • Member No: 8790
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 09:54 AM

I have no idea how many owners this tractor had,But it sure was abused.It is a 1453 G14 and the wiring is a mess no wire loom just a bunch of multi colored wires.Some have been cut and left.It might start red spliced with green then blue.
My question is. Can I take all the wire out and just have a toggle off/on and a starter button. There is no lights and I will never use this a night. I'm 71 and the working hours are getting less. It runs great after a valve job and fresh paint did wonders.But it will quit running and I know to start looking for a wire that broke or came untied nothing has been solder or butt connectors just twisted together.
So can this be done,if so how. Thanks Don in Ca.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 10:08 AM

I think I would rip out all the wires and start fresh, back to factory specs
I'm not sure if the toggle switch would work with the solid state ignition. I never worked on those tecumseh engines that were in the G14 so hopefully someone else can give you better information.

Attached Thumbnails

• G14 1.jpg
  • G14 2.jpg

• Dons916 said thank you

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 03:28 PM

I would do as brian said just start over on the wiring. As for the toggle switch why not just put a new key switch in? There was 2 different switches used just need the model number with the 01,02,03, at the end and i could get the correct swith for you as i have them here.
  • Dons916 said thank you

#4 Dons916 OFFLINE  

Dons916
  • Member No: 8790
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Ya you guys are right. This tractor is really giving my fits I will see if I can locate that number

The only numbers on the ID plate are model 1453 ser.0501 250. The switch that is on it has 5 pins,But who knows if that is right.

Another issue is the clutch. Can't seam to get it adjusted. Does the yoke supposed to have a lot of slop in it.

#5 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 04:48 PM

IDK if it would help or not, but I have seen complete OEM wiring harnesses for different Bolens tractors on eBay. You could try doing a search on there for your model tractor and see what comes up? Unless you'd rather just run new wires yourself (probably a lot cheaper, but easier...)?

Here is what comes up currently:
http://www.ebay.com/...iring&_osacat=0

Didn't see any 1453 harnesses, but some are listed by part number, not by the model of tractor, so if you know the part number, that would help.

#6 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 04:53 PM

There was 2 different switches used just need the model number with the 01,02,03, at the end and i could get the correct swith for you as i have them here.

Do you have a new key switch for a Bolens 850? The part number is: 1719143 (with key 1718266). Someone replaced the switch on my tractor with a mess! There's like a button to run the starter and a switch to turn the coil off or on so it will run or stop... It's really just all FUBAR'ed up and would be nice to just have one switch to start and run the tractor with! Thanks!

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Ya you guys are right. This tractor is really giving my fits I will see if I can locate that number

The only numbers on the ID plate are model 1453 ser.0501 250. The switch that is on it has 5 pins,But who knows if that is right.

Another issue is the clutch. Can't seam to get it adjusted. Does the yoke supposed to have a lot of slop in it.

Send me a pm or give us a call i have the switch and will also see if i have a new wire harness

Do you have a new key switch for a Bolens 850? The part number is: 1719143 (with key 1718266). Someone replaced the switch on my tractor with a mess! There's like a button to run the starter and a switch to turn the coil off or on so it will run or stop... It's really just all FUBAR'ed up and would be nice to just have one switch to start and run the tractor with! Thanks!

Yes i have new switches for your 850 just send me a pm or give us a call.