95 replies to this topic

#91 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:28 AM

wwhat happened cant get her to run now?

No, it runs... I was just having some fuel supply issues. I replaced the old fuel line though which helped. I think the carb still has some issues to work out of it as well due to age and I'm assuming if the engine was rebuilt at some point they didn't rebuild the carb at the same time, unfortunately. It will run for now though and I haven't had any issues with it not starting like it did to me that one time since I replaced the fuel line on it. The only problem I seem to still have is that it doesn't run that great in the cold until it warms up quite a bit, even with some choke on it. If you try to give it full throttle before it is warmed up, it bogs down and backfires through the exhaust (although it does spit some cool flames out when it does) and wants to stall out. Once it is warmed up though, it is fine. I also can't seem to run any PTO attachments until it is fully warmed up as that just kills the engine as well.
  • dozerboy1 said thank you

#92 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 01:11 PM

Did you check the screen in the bottom of the tank?My 1050 still had it's screen in the tank when I got it.I had to punch it out and pull the rest out with a long pair of needle nose pliers to solve my fuel delivery problem.It wasn't plugged up but it was distorted enough to cause me problems.

I don't think they used a fuel filter originally and just depended on the fine mesh screen in the tank to filter debris.

Pop the screen and put a good inline filter in and take your fuel valve completely apart and give it good cleaning.

Fuel goes down hill so start at the top and work your way to the Carb.

Your valve clearances may be a tad bit to tight to.

#93 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Did you check the screen in the bottom of the tank?My 1050 still had it's screen in the tank when I got it.I had to punch it out and pull the rest out with a long pair of needle nose pliers to solve my fuel delivery problem.It wasn't plugged up but it was distorted enough to cause me problems.

I don't think they used a fuel filter originally and just depended on the fine mesh screen in the tank to filter debris.

Pop the screen and put a good inline filter in and take your fuel valve completely apart and give it good cleaning.

Fuel goes down hill so start at the top and work your way to the Carb.

Your valve clearances may be a tad bit to tight to.

:ditto:

#94 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hmmm... you do make a good point about putting a fuel filter in-line to protect the carb and filter out gunk from the gas. However, given the fuel line routing for the Wisconsin, there is not really any good place to put a fuel filter between the tank and carb. The line runs behind the front engine cover and it is very tight on both sides of the engine. Just about the only thing I could think of doing is if I replace the tank shutoff valve and replaced it with a new one that used an in-tank filter like on a newer string trimmer or something like that? Otherwise I'd have to shoe-horn in a very small in-line filter after the shut-off valve and hope there is enough room for it there.

#95 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hmmm... you do make a good point about putting a fuel filter in-line to protect the carb and filter out gunk from the gas. However, given the fuel line routing for the Wisconsin, there is not really any good place to put a fuel filter between the tank and carb. The line runs behind the front engine cover and it is very tight on both sides of the engine. Just about the only thing I could think of doing is if I replace the tank shutoff valve and replaced it with a new one that used an in-tank filter like on a newer string trimmer or something like that? Otherwise I'd have to shoe-horn in a very small in-line filter after the shut-off valve and hope there is enough room for it there.

I dont really think there is a need for an additional fuel filter if you have a new fuel valve with screen installed.
The screen on them is pretty fine and I dont think any of the inline filters out there would have a finer micron.
Most of the finer micron filters are designed for the use with fuel pumps not gravity fed
Posted Image
  • MailmAn said thank you

#96 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 09:41 AM

I dont really think there is a need for an additional fuel filter if you have a new fuel valve with screen installed.
The screen on them is pretty fine and I dont think any of the inline filters out there would have a finer micron.
Most of the finer micron filters are designed for the use with fuel pumps not gravity fed
Posted Image

Yup ---What he said!
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 850, 191-02, tube frame, wisconsin, s8d, tractor, restoration, 1969