• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:50 AM

Oh, and FYI - if anyone wants to follow my progress uninterrupted without having to sift through all of the comments, I am re-posting everything here on my own website so that it will all be in one place. It is setup like a no-frills blog basically and it contains the same updates that you can see here anyways. I started copying over my GTTalk posts to my website because I had friends I wanted to share my photos with who weren't members on this site and complained that they couldn't see my progress.

#32 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 11:52 AM

You could always have your friends join GTT :D

#33 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 12:17 PM

For some reason, they didn't seem to want to. I had brought that up at first, but I guess some people are just too lazy to bother creating an account for a forum they will only look at once to see my post... Just about the ONLY other person I shared with who I thought might have joined is my brother since he is into all this kind of stuff too. I think he has an old IH Cub Cadet that he rescued and is using to mow his lawn with, but he's also not working to restore or paint it or anything I don't think. I know he also has an old Montgomery Wards tractor that he worked on in the past, but he blew the engine up in it and it has been sitting. Here is some rare footage of it in action from about 5-6 years ago:

But, he is more involved with his Volvo's and Ford LTD and Plymouth Coupe I guess to bother with garden tractors for the time being. Even though he likes them and everything. You can only focus your attention on so many things at once, you know... (Like right now I haven't touched my poor jukebox in over a month and a half!) But once I get this tractor done for the time being, I'll start to work on other projects that I've been neglecting soon enough...

Edited by MailmAn, July 10, 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#34 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 08:30 AM

I managed to get two coats of Rust Converter on the hood and fenders the other day. It is just taking me some time to proccess and upload the photos, hence why my updates are sometimes a few days behind... But, I have to say, it's not looking too bad so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some close-ups of the dented areas that I hammered out after I put the Rust Converter on them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not too shabby, eh? You can still see some dings on the flat part that runs down near the left headlight. However the rounded part of the hood looks almost perfectly straight now! I don't think you will see it at all once the paint is finished.

I know there's not much else to report. It has been kind of slow progress so far on the tractor. I'm still waiting for parts to come to finish putting it back together. In the meantime, all I can do is wait for paint to dry... Such FUN!!!

I did get some primer over the Rust Converter already as well, but no more photos so far. I think I'm going to hold off on any more photos until I get enough primer on it to sand without fear of removing the Rust Converter and then get a first coat of white on it. I'll have to see how it looks at that point. Hopefully all those brush marks from applying the Rust Converter will have smoothed out by then?

#35 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Looking good :thumbs:

Its going to take quite a few coats of primer to get those brush marks out.
Personally I wouldnt have used that rust converter. Usually if you have some imperfections in the metal, self etching primer usually does the trick. http://www.rustoleum...uct.asp?pid=397
  • MailmAn said thank you

#36 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Personally I wouldnt have used that rust converter. Usually if you have some imperfections in the metal, self etching primer usually does the trick.

Haha, funny you say that as I had bought some self-etching primer that I ended up using over the rust converter anyways. No clue whether it will work over the rust converter or not. Hopefully it won't peel right off or anything... But I wasn't sure if the self-etching primer would have done enough of a job to treat and protect against the rust coming back... Oh well, live and learn...

I'm out of the self-etching primer and using some sandable filler-primer to try and build up a base that I can sand down...

Edited by MailmAn, July 12, 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 09:08 AM

I use the Rustoleum Rust converter, it's a spray and is black in color. Been on the hood of my Cub for nearly 3 years and I see now sign of rust as yet. I haven't put anything else on there either. It's kind of a test bed for that stuff.

#38 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 09:32 AM

YEEEESSSSS!!! COOL!!!

I have parts coming finally, hopefully today!!!

I hadn't heard anything from Tom in a while and I thought we left it last time that he was going to call me before he shipped my parts out to be sure he got everything. So, I just gave him a call today and he told me he knew that I had already been waiting for such a long time already and he's pretty sure he included everything in the one box, so he just sent it out Wednesday for me Priority Mail, so he thinks I should get it today (or at the latest Saturday). Maybe I can finally get this thing all put together within the next week then!!! :D

:dancingbanana: IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!! AWWWW YEEEEAAAAAH!!!!

#39 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 11:35 AM

YEEEESSSSS!!! COOL!!!

I have parts coming finally, hopefully today!!!

I hadn't heard anything from Tom in a while and I thought we left it last time that he was going to call me before he shipped my parts out to be sure he got everything. So, I just gave him a call today and he told me he knew that I had already been waiting for such a long time already and he's pretty sure he included everything in the one box, so he just sent it out Wednesday for me Priority Mail, so he thinks I should get it today (or at the latest Saturday). Maybe I can finally get this thing all put together within the next week then!!! :D

:dancingbanana: IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!! AWWWW YEEEEAAAAAH!!!!

A man after my heart!!! It doesént get any better than PB.J.
And welcome to the group!! Sounds like you are well on your way to getting your project done.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#40 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 09:47 PM

looks like u have the shaft nice an clean so try slideing the pully on without the key make sure u use never sieze. if that workz then the key must be the problem... gook luck
  • MailmAn said thank you

#41 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted July 13, 2012 - 11:53 PM

Looking good! :thumbs: Looks its coming along pretty well. Wish had more time to get going on a couple of mine. Keep up the good work!
  • MailmAn said thank you

#42 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 08:56 AM

(I wish I could go back in time and post these all as separate updates, but oh well! Been so busy lately, it's hard to keep up with my progress online in real-time...)

In any event, I got parts in the mail on Friday when I came home from work!!!

Posted Image

Ooooh... and all nice and freshly painted too!!! I even got a new ignition switch and key too that he happened to still have lying around!

Posted Image

In the meantime, it was raining off-and-on all day Sunday (which we really needed the rain anyways, it has been so dry around here all the grass is dead!) so I took the opportunity to take the hood and fenders outside to wet sand them with some 3M Imperial WetOrDry 400 grit sandpaper I purchased. (Hey, it beats having to keep re-wetting the sandpaper, plus I got to cool off a bit!) It worked really well though and the primer surface is nice and slippery-smooth for my first coat of white paint! I'm thinking it should come out really nice now! (Can't even tell how bad the Rust Converter looked now after 3-4 coats of primer and the wet sanding...)

(No photos though of any of this because of the rain!)

I also managed to get the other bronze bearing installed in the free-wheeling rear hub and got the hub installed on the axle. Once the wheels are done, they can be reinstalled. I greased the hub before I put it on. I'm assuming it is supposed to be greased (there was old grease in the hub when I pulled it off), but I also don't see any grease fittings in the rear end to grease it. Do you just pack it with grease the best you can when you install it and that's all that it gets? Seems like a poor design to me... But I also assume the bronze bearing takes all the wear rather than the axle or hub assembly and you just throw new ones on periodically.

I might post a quick step-by-step instruction for how I installed mine if there is demand for it. I took a bunch of photos of the install. Here is the finished product though:

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Notice the extra grease pushing out from around the flat washer after install.) The two bronze bearings press into the hub from each end and leave a small gap in between for extra grease to be held to help lubricate the hub and bearings. (Of course, I "hammered" mine in since I don't have a press and it seemed to work well without damaging them... I used a rubber mallet and a block of wood cut from a 2x4 to help cushion it when driving the bearing in to prevent damage.) Here's a photo of the tools I used:

Posted Image

Still to come: more paint, re-assembling the rest of the mower deck, installing the engine pulley (hopefully without breaking it this time!), installing belts, and getting it running! Stay tuned...

#43 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 09:05 AM

Looking Good!
Did the guy paint those parts for you???

Its always good to grease up the axle and parts when you have it apart. On the older Models they actually had a grease fitting on the hub. I dont know why Bolens did away with it though.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#44 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Looking Good!
Did the guy paint those parts for you???

Yes, Tom sandblasted and painted the parts for me before he shipped them. I think that might be part of the problem with installing that engine pulley though and I'm working on sanding out the inside of the pulley now so hopefully it will install easily! I'm using some 3M Medium-Coarse sanding pads to stick inside the pulley and try to clean out any paint residue. I didn't get a new shaft key though either, so hopefully the old one that I filed down square again will work!

#45 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 01:20 PM

I didn't get a new shaft key though either, so hopefully the old one that I filed down square again will work!

PLEASE get a new key !!!!! .....Your key is now undersize, and will cause the pulley to become loose on the shaft again.

http://www.pittinaro...-1187474_01.jpg
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 850, 191-02, tube frame, wisconsin, s8d, tractor, restoration, 1969