6 replies to this topic

#1 rebel715 OFFLINE  

rebel715

• Member No: 6614
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Howdy,
My neighbor has a John Deere GT-235 that is having some issues. He thought since I am a John Deere tractor owner (1979 216) that I could fix his. Wow, a LOT has changed over the years. Here is what the issues are:
Engine runs fine, no issues
Battery is fully charged
Electric PTO switch on dash will NOT engage blades on the 48C mulcher deck
Hour meter is NOT working

I have checked all of the wiring for continuity and everything checks fine with my meter. I have removed the PTO switch and checked continuity on the switch and I have 3 sets of contacts that read continuity either from the Normally Closed contact to Common, or Normally Open to Common. There are 2 additional contacts on the switch with a green and a blue wire connected to them. I read nothing on the meter at these points. I suspect an issue on the circuit board mounted behind the dashboard. I notice there are 3 relays on the board and presume some issues there. There is a red and a green LED light on the circuit board. The green light IS illuminated, so I presume power is at the board, but I don't have a schematic or wiring diagram for the tractor, so any information from anyone here would be most useful. Thanks!!!

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Typically a PTO problem is usually in the coil itself or the switch. Are you getting a good reading across the PTO coil. It should be a few ohms 3-4 ohms typically. If the tractor uses the engine chassis as a return to the - battery terminal that is another place for a bad connection to occur. I'll see if I have any service info for the GT 235. If so I'll let you know.

#3 rebel715 OFFLINE  

rebel715

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Brian!! No, I have not checked the coil resistance yet, but I will this evening. I didn't have any service information or anything to go on at all last night when the tractor was dropped off, I was just doing basic checks. Thanks again!!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'll check what I have when I get home after work and let you know about service info. One side of the PTO switch supplies power to the clutch coil and the other is usually used to interlock the starter so it won't start with the PTO engaged. Sometimes when one side of the switch fails some people will bypass the interlock switch and the switch is rewired to use the good contacts to power the coil. A wiring diagram will tell you what's up.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Rebel, I don't have any info on the GT series at all. They are too new I guess! If you have checked the switch and 1 set of contacts is not closing then that is likely your problem. On a newer tractor with a circuit board there could be a PTO relay that actually powers the coil. If the switch and the coil check ok then I would go there next. Someone here may have some diagrams or knowledge to help you out if you give it some time. Good luck and if you have any more questions bring them here.

#6 rebel715 OFFLINE  

rebel715

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Thanks again for the help!!! I jacked the tractor up last night to attempt to check the resistance of the coil on the pto clutch, and couldn't get to it. It seems like I will need to drop the mower deck to get to the connector. Man!!! After working on this tractor I REALLY love the simplicity of my 1979 model 216!!

#7 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 12:31 PM

I don;t know to much about the wiring , but I had a gt 235 and my. neighbor told me that switch system couldn't be bypassed. I complained about the pto cutoff when going to reverse. A saftey issue., he said trying to bypass would shut the engine down.
He works for johndeere so I took his word for it.

larryd