• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 06:55 PM

420driver,

:welcometogttalk:
That is a very nice looking machine! It would appear that our tractors are only 468 tractors apart as far as their ride down the assembly line. I love those fenders! Do you have any other tractors? We have a member introduction area if you would like to introduce yourself.
http://gardentractor...-introductions/
Thanks for the pictures! :thumbs:
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#17 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Got me stumped.

The rounded nose on the front of the hood is late 50s/early 60s. Also expected the colour to be white/beige or light blue. The front axle should be light blue.

Is the red under the white a re-paint? I haven't seen a red moto-mower with that hood design - only white.

An example serial number tag - which I speculate is 1963.
Model # 6001
Type # 100
Serial # B10792

Sorry Moto, I missed your reply until today. Red was the factory color on my tractor.

#18 420driver OFFLINE  

420driver
  • Member No: 10757
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 12:59 PM

The front rims, hubs and tires are replacements, 4". The ones on Tractorholics look right. I searched Porter-Cable tractor images and found models that look like this unit with a slightly different hood.

#19 420driver OFFLINE  

420driver
  • Member No: 10757
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Kris,
After search searching more photos, I think your unit has the original or correct paint on it. A lot of the Montgomery Wards tractors were painted Yellow/Gold and White, similar to Cub Cadets. I think that is the color combo I am going to go with. Right now the one I bought is completely covered with rust brown primer.

#20 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 10:17 PM

I picked up the same tractor at an auction last weekend, this one is complete and with a little work I have it "on the road" Model 89-1600, ser.# MW12092. After a little web searching, the MW serial # and seeing it has Montgomery Wards tires, sounds like it was sold by Wards, but I would like to find who made them. Does not look like it was setup to mow, one guy with a like rig said his came with a plow, but no mower.

I was unaware that porter-cable or dura/moto-mower built tractors for montgomery wards - cool. I believe that hood style was used from the late 50s (porter-cable) to the early 60s (dura corporation). Moto-mower (owned by Dura) bought the garden tractor division from Prorter-Cable in 1958 or 59.

Neat looking extensions to the front spindles to work with the small wheels. Someone did a really nice job on the rear fenders as well - really nice style and robust looking.

PS - I'm guessing that's a Briggs motor - wonder if the date-code could provide an estimate on it's age.

Edited by motobreeder, August 11, 2012 - 10:19 PM.