7 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,019 Thanks
  • 549 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm going to look at this tractor tomorrow, but I don't know too much about these tractors. To all my Massey experts on here, what can you tell me about this tractor before I go to look at it? I can see there are a few obvious problems with it (the gas tank and the trailer not being original, for example). The owner said it belonged to his father and it's been sitting for awhile. He said he believes it's the original engine in it. He also said that it has hydraulics on it, which is powering the trailer. Were the hydraulics an option at the time, or is that likely something that was fabricated? I see there's a little handle on the left side of the tractor. I don't see that same handle on pictures of other MF executives. What is that for? Lastly, and this may sound stupid, but are those four wheel weights on each of the wheels? I'm not sure I've seen front wheel weights before. I'd just like to educate myself a little bit before I go. I don't usually dabble in this type of GT. Any insights you can give me would be greatly appreciated. There isn't anything else to go with the tractor, just what's in the picture. I already own a little MF Executive 24, but this is quite different from what I already have. What things in particular should I look at, things that are known to be problems with these tractors?

http://ontario.kijij...QAdIdZ391233220

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by jtrojek, June 25, 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Hi
It's hard to say for sure, but it certainly looks like Kohler 8hp w/starter generator.
Hydraulics was not an option, and seems someone has mounted a pump, where
the gas tank is supposed to be, and driven it off the engine pto shaft. I'd guess, that
handle on left side, is the control for the hydraulic pump/valve for the trailer.
I can't shed any light on the weights, as I've never seen any originals.
Rear tires, don't look original, but fronts may be.
All in all, it looks complete. All the tin is there.
Please let us know how you make out.

#3 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hi
It's hard to say for sure, but it certainly looks like Kohler 8hp w/starter generator.
Hydraulics was not an option, and seems someone has mounted a pump, where
the gas tank is supposed to be, and driven it off the engine pto shaft. I'd guess, that
handle on left side, is the control for the hydraulic pump/valve for the trailer.
I can't shed any light on the weights, as I've never seen any originals.
Rear tires, don't look original, but fronts may be.
All in all, it looks complete. All the tin is there.
Please let us know how you make out.

I agree with Will.The one thing i noticed is i don't think the seat is original.Other than that everything else is there.

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Be sure to check out the rear end, especially the axels. They are almost non-existent to find a replacement and to build a set would be big $.

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 08:44 PM

I agree with Will.The one thing i noticed is i don't think the seat is original.Other than that everything else is there.

I think that seat pan is original, for that year, but is missing the black and white cover.
The early MF8E, with cast foot rests, had a stamped out rounded seat, just like the 7E.

Good advice, from Alan. Check out that tranny good. All else on that machine, can be dealt
with fairly easily, but that transaxle is a rareity.

#6 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,019 Thanks
  • 549 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. I figured that that was the case with the hydraulics. It makes sense, given how the gas tank is moved. I couldn't find anything on hydraulics being an option: cigarette lighters, yes, but not hydraulics. Is the price reasonable, all depending on the tranny and the axle? I've read a little bit about these tractors. I've also seen pictures of those wheel weights before, but I can't for the life of me figure out where I saw the pictures. I'm pretty sure they were on an Exec, but I could be wrong. A better memory would likely be a better investment than another tractor for me, but I think I'll stick with the tractors.

#7 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:50 PM

Things like the belt cover at the motor and the battery cover are still there and in good shape.
The throttle and choke appear to be there and in good looking condition.

Clearly at least 8/10 - which is way up there.

Factor out values for the trailer and mystery weights, it looks like a really good price.

#8 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,019 Thanks
  • 549 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 12:39 PM

I found a few pictures of those same wheel weights on Motomowers, well, the rear ones anyway ....
  • MH81 said thank you