• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jbumgarner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10248
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Picked up a Brinley Cultivator for $25 and broke it down and used a sandblaster, e-tank and molasses bath on different parts to test each for effectiveness and how long it would take to arrive at the same results. I mixed 1 part molasses to 10 parts water and soaked parts for around a month, then sandlbasted other parts and used the e-tank for others. Each process ended witht he same results, all rust removed and pratically ready for paint. The down fall to the molasses and the e-tank is the time it took to remove the rust. Molasses up to a month, e-tank a few days and sandblast was right a way. Here are some pics of what I started with and a few of the process and end results. I hope you all can share any results you have had with any rust removal process

Posted Image
Posted Image
Here is what I started with
Posted Image
Posted Image
Molasses bath and e-tank
Posted Image
Parts after molasses bath
Posted Image
Parts after e-tank
Posted Image
Finished Prduct :laughingteeth:
  • MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've never heard of the Molasses process!! Pretty slow though. If you've got the gear then sandblasting is probably still the best alternative but the etank can be very useful and is cheap to set up.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Looks great, I really like how well mine works. I need to make some more clamps, wedges, and rods. I would like to try some different sweeps too.

I've used an e-tank and like that method. I don't have an enclosed sand blaster, so I try to avoid sand blasting.

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,149 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:25 AM

:welcometogttalk: & Thanks for posting. I haven't used any of those and can't say as I've heard of the Molasses process either. My simple process has been...ordinary household vinegar. Doesn't take a month to soak, involves a bit of elbow grease w/ wire brush, steel wool or repurposed balled up aluminum foil. I've experienced pretty good results in short time.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 01:05 PM

I've never herd of the molasses bath.I havn't tried the e tank method yet.It looks like you got good results on all your pcs.The finished product looks good.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,676 Thanks
  • 39,056 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 01:17 PM

I have heard of the molasses bath! But I love my e-tank! No sand blaster!

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,707 Thanks
  • 28,350 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 11:34 PM

I don't have the volume to do sandblasting with my air compressor. It's not always convenient to run up to the farm for little stuff. I just put it in the etank & work on the next thing.

Last summer, I was working on two implements at once, cooking, brushing and painting all at the same time... kind of had a slow rhythm to it, once i got used to the process. Little bit every evening when I got home from work.