15 replies to this topic

#1 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10298
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 01:33 AM

I started this in the Garden Tractor Forum, I thought perhaps it was more appropriate to have it here.

I picked up a model 6116 that I found on craigslist. I wanted it because it had a tiller attachment that was going with it and I needed to upgrade my tiller I use in my garden as well as I was hoping it could handle a leveling project I want to do for building a shop.

The ad said it would run if you charge the battery. Wanting to hear it actually run I took the battery out of my Troy bilt lawn tractor with me, I figured it should be good enough to start a smaller motor. Well we drained my battery crnaking the puppy over and it never started, good in a way because the guy was easy to get off his asking price when it wouldn't start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I may have found the starting problem, the spark plug gap was closed, I'll get a new plug and give it a try tomorrow.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 04:59 AM

Nice package deal with the tiller. That will make tilling your garden a lot easier. sounds like you are on your way to getting it running.

#3 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 367 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Nice purchase, the attachments look to be in good order.

#4 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:12 AM

Welcome to GT Talk! Great looking tractor and attachments. You will love tilling with a tractor and tiller. I used to do it with one that you push and after about a year of that, I said this is enough of this. I eventually was able to get a tiller for my Wheel Horse tractor and I just love tilling that way! I would not have it any other way.

#5 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Thanks, I'm looking forward to tilling with it. I think it will become my dedicated tiller and the other one my mower. The mowing deck has bad bearings in the spindles so I'll need to replace those just in case I need to use it.

#6 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Perhaps somebody can clarify to me what I have here. After looking closer at the equipment, I'm wondering what kind of hitch I need, looks almost like it needs a three point to me, I do not see how a sleeve hitch would work and certainly do not see a "bolt it up" possibility. Also is this supposed to run off a second part of a double pulley on the drive?

here is the only photo I've found that seems to be the right one.

Posted Image

And my tractor, tiller and parts are here;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

do these even belong?
Posted Image

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,027 Thanks
  • 5,364 posts

Posted July 01, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Someone has put a nice set of tires on there for garden work. Can't help you with attaching your tiller but wanted to welcome you to the forum. Bet you will get the answers your looking for shortly though.
  • jdbark1952 said thank you

#8 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 10:53 AM

What you have is the wrong tiller for your tractor that someone has tried to adapt to it. The tiller that you have is model #1690194 (for 6000 series tractors) and the tiller that was made to attach to your tractor is model #1690393 (for 6100 and 6200 series tractors).

The lift system and attaching points for the tillers and the tractors that they were made to attach to are different. The lift lever assembly on your 6116 has been changed to one that was made for the 6000 series tractors to be able to hook to the tiller that you have. The draw bar bracket assembly that the tiller attaches to is supposed to be mounted to the rear of the transmission on the 6000 series tractors. It is missing on your tractor and I'm not sure it would fit on your 6116 even if you had it, as the transmissions are somewhat different.

You will find a pic of the draw bar bracket assembly for your tiller (#1690194), to be mounted on a 6000 series tractor, on page 16 of this parts manual:

http://bsintek.basco...rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq

..and in figure 14, page 14 of this manual:

http://bsintek.basco...rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq

Also, since your lift lever assembly has been changed on your tractor, you will have no way to lift the mower deck, should you ever want to use it.

Edited by achomesteader, July 04, 2012 - 05:52 AM.

#9 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 11:01 AM

In the last pic in your post above, is a PTO clutch lever assembly, a lift rod (probably for your tiller) and a lift lever assembly (maybe the one that was taken off your 6116).

#10 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 12:01 PM

GT Fanatic that was extremely helpful information.

There is a lift lever that is still attatched to the tractor.

The plan I had come up wit was to fab a bracket up like this minus the sleeve hitch part and have tabs that would match up with the tillers mounting points. Then try and use the lifting lever that is present on the tractor.

Posted Image

Do you think that is a reasonable plan?

#11 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm guessing what I referred to as a backet is what you called a draw bar. Now I had looked under the tractor and saw holes in the body/frame I thought might have been places to bolt something like this into. my main concern is if it would take the stress there, or if it is possible to beef that up to handle the wear and tear. I'll have to get some photos and post for an opinion.

#12 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'm sure a hitch or bracket could be made that will work.

As far as your stress concerns, I will point out that the hitch (bracket) in your last pic is attached to the frame and also to the transmission. Whether or not that is necessary, I don't know.

Here are the installations instructions, including illustrations, for that particular hitch:

http://bsintek.basco...5Exj7mRgtLvBCd6

#13 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 02, 2012 - 06:01 PM

achomesteader, thanks again you've been a great source of information.

I've studied photos I have found on the internet and see where the connection points are, I'll have to go out and double check mine.

#14 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 01:19 AM

achomesteader,

Have I bee all wrong, is this what it needs to hook up to?

Posted Image

#15 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 04:56 AM

That draw bar bracket is what your tiller originally came with to hook to a 6000 series (6008 or 6011) tractor. Those are the only tractors that your #1690194 tiller was designed to be used with. I don't know whether or not the same draw bar bracket would fit or line up the tiller correctly on your 6116, as the transmissions on the 6000 series and 6100 series tractors are not exactly the same.