16 replies to this topic

#1 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 11:46 PM

I have a home made lift. I didn't build it - I'm not that talented. It's about 30" high and about 8' long.

Thinking about selling it - but not sure it's value.
- it feels a bit light for my heavier GTs - much better for modern riding mowers
- I don't have the room - it's quite long in the lowered position

On the positive, it makes working on motors a lot easier when they are at eye level.

What do you use? I'm looking for ideas that are cost-effective.
I'd like a scissor lift - but $1000 or more is not in the budget.
I'm thinking about building a wooden raised table and ramps - any good plans?

I'm trying to clean up in my garage - so I had moved it outside to make room.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks.
  • JDBrian and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 04:55 AM

Nice lift and I agree it looks a bit light for a 1000lb GT. I don't have a lift at all and it sure would make it easier on the back to get the tractor up off the ground. I hope you get some good suggestions here and thanks for starting the topic!

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 05:44 AM

That's a cool lift. Only thing bad about a table is what to do with it when not in use. Plus, the ramps would have to be pretty long, unless you take the deck off first. I'll follow this thread and see what folks say.
My option here would be to clone this into a heavier built unit. But, you still need a way to store it when not using.

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:23 AM

Nowhere close to an expert opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this fetching betwixt 2-300 to the right buyer.
What comes to mind quicker is the concept of a 'stacked storage system' for Gt's similar to what I've seen in some city parking lots. I'll try to get a pic up to clarify my latest weird thought. :wacko:

2-Layer-Mini-Hydraulic-Parking-System-AAJ-1-.jpg stack-parking-500x500.jpg

Kenny??

Edited by Newpaws493, June 25, 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 03:38 PM

This looks to be a lift for smaller tractors, maybe LT variety. Could be homemade or small shop built for a specific purpose.

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 04:14 PM

This looks to be a lift for smaller tractors, maybe LT variety. Could be homemade or small shop built for a specific purpose.

The fellow that sold it to me was using it for snowmobiles.
I think it's too high for GTs, but is the right height for greasing a sled suspension.

If anyone has a fixed-height bench. What is a good height (width, length)?

I may even convince myself to re-work this into a lower/shorter lift.

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 04:26 PM

What is the table height now? Can't tell from the pics. You don't want something too low or working on the under side will require bending over. You can always let the cable out some to work on something higher up.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 07:37 PM

That does look a little on the light side for a heavier GT, but I'll bet that it would be great for a lawn mower or LT! I think you could probably get a decent price for it if you decided to sell, but make sure that you sell it "as is". There are too many folks out there looking to sue if it won't hold their truck when they decide to be foolish!

...You can always let the cable out some to work on something higher up.

I am thinking that it looks like the "legs" sort of support the weight of the tractor in the full upright position and that the cable simply holds it there. I may be a bit skittish when it comes to this sort of thing, but I don't think I'd put myself under it when it wasn't all the way up. In fact if it was mine, there would be some way to lock or pin it once it was all the way up. This is just MHO.
  • motobreeder said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:12 PM

There is a guy across town who made a bench. It's waist high, but he made it so it could be lowered. (telescoping pipes and pins.)

He has it about 4' inside his garage and a long set of ramps to roll them up and onto the table.

Now here,s the caveat, he only has two of the boards on the top screwed down. These he puts the wheels on (barring major length differences) and just pulls the others out.

Yeah, there's a frame to work around, but it's a lot better than laying on the ground.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:33 PM

There is a guy across town who made a bench. It's waist high, but he made it so it could be lowered. (telescoping pipes and pins.)

He has it about 4' inside his garage and a long set of ramps to roll them up and onto the table.

Now here,s the caveat, he only has two of the boards on the top screwed down. These he puts the wheels on (barring major length differences) and just pulls the others out.

Yeah, there's a frame to work around, but it's a lot better than laying on the ground.

:wewantpics: :wewantpics: :wewantpics:

#11 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 09:50 PM

What is the table height now? Can't tell from the pics. You don't want something too low or working on the under side will require bending over. You can always let the cable out some to work on something higher up.

Some measurements:
The raised height is almost 36"
About 32" wide
Bottom tubes are 96" long
In the lowered position, it's about 12' long

I am thinking that it looks like the "legs" sort of support the weight of the tractor in the full upright position and that the cable simply holds it there. I may be a bit skittish when it comes to this sort of thing, but I don't think I'd put myself under it when it wasn't all the way up. In fact if it was mine, there would be some way to lock or pin it once it was all the way up. This is just MHO.

I agree. I'm not comfortable with the lift in any position other than all the way up or down.
The lift goes a little past the top so it's solid against the tower used for lifting. I tie it off to be safe.

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 10:00 PM

To me, that looks like a snowmobile lift. They're, what, about 600 pounds max.

#13 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 12:25 PM

Nice looking lift, if it were something I need I think it would be worth $150 to me.

#14 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted July 06, 2012 - 11:31 PM

Here is an ad clipping from a Popular Mechanics Magazine that shows a lift simular style like yours.

001.jpg
  • MH81, middleageddeere and motobreeder have said thanks

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'm at the point in life where I can't bend over all day, or get up and down without my back staging a mutiny. I broke down and bought a lift off eBay a couple months ago. It was advertised as an 1,100 lb lift as opposed to the 1,000 lb lifts other companies were selling. Price with freight was a tad over a Grand.

When I got it, I understood why it had a higher rating--the metal used in it was thinner so the platform weighed less, thus the cylinder could lift more...

Even with that, I love it. It has a positive stop that allows me to adjust to 5 different heights with tallest being about 30". It has a drop out section so I can put a motorcycle on it and take the rear wheel off. Side extensions make it wide enough to put even a Power King or Case on it.

It has steel rollers at the rear, and a pin hanging down off the front. I make a two-wheeled dolly out of 4" casters placed close together. I put a hole in a piece of 3/8" steel plate and bent one end to weld the handle in--which was made out of 3/4" pipe with a pipe T at the top and a couple 10" pieces for handles.

You raise the handle fairly high and roll it under the pin on the lift. When you pull the handles down to about waist high it raises the lift slightly, allowing you to move it wherever you want--assuming you're on concrete. I'll send a picture when I can.

Your lift looks pretty handy, but pretty light... I'd be afraid to put even one of my Cub Cadets on it... even if it lifts it, you still need ot be concerned about side loads and having enough strength to prevent the frame from buckling and tipping to one side.

I'd guess it's worth somewhere in the $200-$250 range.

FWIW,

U S

Edited by Utah Smitty, July 10, 2012 - 12:58 PM.