#31 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 12:15 PM

thats just a pic i found online. yours should have your name or what ever you used during setup. thats also for 12.04 but 12.10 is the same.

Yes, but it doesn't have that little round button on mine.

#32 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yes, but it doesn't have that little round button on mine.

If you haven't done the roll back you won't have the button because you only have one desktop installed.

Thanks DS I thought there would be a button or drop down so you could choose which desktop to login to.

#33 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Bill I have 12.10 I added cairo dock like coldone said. On the password page you click applications button and you can pick the dock you want to run.I appreciate the help.

There are several docking programs out there.  I have Docky installed on mine that's the application launcher at the bottom of the  desktop in the Pic I posted.  There is also Avante  and a few others.

#34 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:05 PM

I used the "sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback" command and now see what you were talking about. Thank you. I can see why you like it better. I'll try it for awhile and see how I like it. So far...... BETTER! Seems easier to find things.

#35 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:54 PM

In the Gnome fallback you can right click on the menu bar and tell it where you want it ie top, bottom etc.  You also have the option to change what is on that bar.  So say if you want to install an application launcher like I have you can take the app launcher off the main bar and you can add widgets like weather etc.  I don't remember if Gnome will do this but XFCE will, you can set the bar to where it is as transparent as you like and then when you place the cursor over it it becomes Opaque as you like.  

I would recommend you join the Ubuntu forums and also check out Distrowatch newsletter every Monday.  You will pick up some great info and tricks if you do.  Hope you enjoy Linux.  :thumbs:

#36 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 02:14 PM

you can make the bars as transparent as you like. in older versions you just right clicked and went to properties and changed it there.

in 11.10 and on you have to press the Alt key and right click then go to properties to change it.

the Ubuntu forums are full of some great people just like here that are willing to help. dont be afraid to ask questions there if you need help. if you do join look me up. my user name is dog-soldier there.

In the Gnome fallback you can right click on the menu bar and tell it where you want it ie top, bottom etc.  You also have the option to change what is on that bar.  So say if you want to install an application launcher like I have you can take the app launcher off the main bar and you can add widgets like weather etc.  I don't remember if Gnome will do this but XFCE will, you can set the bar to where it is as transparent as you like and then when you place the cursor over it it becomes Opaque as you like.  

I would recommend you join the Ubuntu forums and also check out Distrowatch newsletter every Monday.  You will pick up some great info and tricks if you do.  Hope you enjoy Linux.  :thumbs:

#37 Magnus_E OFFLINE  

Magnus_E
  • Member No: 27742
  • 10 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi I use the 64 bit Xubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and have used linux since 2005.

#38 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I have Xubuntu installed on my laptop in the shop.  I had Mint 13 installed on my PC but switched it over to UberStudent after Distrowatche's review of it.

#39 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:53 AM

Just rebuilt my garage pc and installed 12.04 LTS on it instead of Linux Mint.  Machine is Shuttle k45 with 2 gigs of ddr2 and an e5300 processor.  Thanks for the suggestions in this thread about customization.