coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:35 PM

My old IBM R52 has a screen that is slowly dieing. So when i stopped by our campus surplus warehouse and saw 5 of the R52 sitting there I decided to pick one up for parts. Well i ended up getting 2,one for parts and one that was marked "OK" but with the HDD wiped.

I will tell you that i am pretty much computer illiterate so i was a little intimidated but for the price I figured i had wasted more on less. The good one would power up and tell me it had no OS on it. I started using my old comp to find ubuntu and figure out how to install it. After a few false starts i finally read how to down load it to a USB flah drive and make a boot disk and install it on the machine.

It took about 5 hours total once i figured out what I had to do. Downloading the program from the net took about 3 hours. Making the USB took about 30minutes. Installing it on the new machine took about 1.5 hours including all the updates.

I have been using ubuntu for the past 3 days and it seems to do what i want it to. Surfing the net mostly. I havent tried downloading manuals or PDFs yet but that will come with time. I have seen some neat programs at the ubuntu store but I havent tried downloading them yet.

It seems alittle less refined than windows, but for the price I will not complain.

Total price for the used good machine and ubuntu, $28.00
  • HowardsMF155 and MF10Ryan have said thanks

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Congrats on the great learning experience. Ubuntu is nice and well supported. I like the g.u.i (graphical user interface) of Linux Mint over Ubuntu. They are the same under the hood.

Edited by Trav1s, June 27, 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 09:24 PM

I am with Trav1s
I have been using Ubuntu since ver 5 on my pc and laptop
I am using Mint Linux on my pc and liking a lot better.
it us easier to use, too
my old IBM T23 I am using Lubuntu 10 - but plan on installing Mint on it too

I have installed Ubuntu on a lot of IBMs and had no problem with them

Edited by lyall, June 24, 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 04:44 AM

Use a MAC mini myself which is a Unix based OS. I've had it for over 2 years now and no problems at all. good luck with the Ubuntu.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 06:39 AM

Always feels good to tackle a problem you feel ill prepared for and come out with positive results.

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Thanks. It's good to see that more folks are moving away from MS. The more we do this, the more functionality we will see on the other operating systems.

Whether it's due to obscurity or architecture, viruses are far fewer on Linux. Most antivirus software is targeted at not passing infected files to Windows users.

I loaded Ubuntu 12.04LTS on an old Dell laptop for my son. That was a couple days ago and it hasn't stopped playing Pokemon online games.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 05:37 PM

I've been using Linux since around 2000 and it has evolved into one of the best OS's out there. Also there are now Linux app's that can do the same job as their window's counterpart that was not always the case.

Glad you are enjoying it and the freedom that it brings. Don't be afraid of loading an app from the Software center. Just select the program and it will ask you to Authenticate the action with your password and that is it. It will download the application with any dependencies and then next thing you know it will be on your menu and get this NO REBOOT involved!

#8 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 12:34 PM

I really like Ubuntu. I use 12.0.4 on an older laptop that would no longer hold a windows image and it runs great. I hear you about the refined piece, I hear you can fix that by messing with the display settings, but I haven't tried that yet.

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm in the process of resurrecting a tower PC that I acquired for FREE :dancingbanana: minus a hard drive. My 85 year old PC geek dad sent me a good 40GB hard drive he had, and I'm downloading Ubuntu to install on that PC. I hope it works!

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Depending on how old it is you may be better off with one of the lighter Ubuntu Distro's like Lubuntu or XUbuntu.  I'm currently running XFCE Linux mint that is Ubuntu based but fly's on my PC  Good Luck.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Keep us posted please.

I have been using it for 6 months now. It meets my needs well.

#12 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 12:01 AM

The hard drive my dad sent didn't work for some reason. Messed with it for a long time but haven't figured it out yet. However, I hd another hard drive I could try and it worked enough to get Ubuntu loaded from the USB iso file, but it's acting funny. Currently, I'm booted off of that USB key in "try it" mode. I think I'll call it a night and try again tomorrow.

Edited by nra1ifer, January 02, 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 05:11 AM

I have been  using Ubuntu now for about two years.It works fine for me,I'm quite happy with it.

#14 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 11:38 PM

I got it working, finally. I WAS able to use the 40GB drive my dad sent me. Had to take a jumper off of the drive (according to the label, it was jumpered as "master"). After doing that, Ubuntu installed from my bootable USB key, it updated from the web, and all I needed to do otherwise was adjust a video setting in the BIOS to get it to work correctly. Before that, it wouldn't display everything correctly.

Good so far! I'll explore some more to see how I like it. Not bad for a free PC!

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 11:57 AM

What version of Ubuntu did you install?  Just give you a heads up that the standard Ubuntu comes with the Unity desk top.  So like it and other don't but it is different from windows and other desktops.  I have heard though that once you get use to it, they say it increases you productivity.