coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Were down to our 2 last jars of jelly yesterday. Wifey said it was about time to make somemore. She asked what i wanted and I told her that the watermelon jelly she made last year was my favorite. So off to the store we go. We got us a watermelon! So I helped prep it and she made the jelly for me. I do love my wife! Dont worry, the rinds are a brineing so i can make some pickles in the next night or two. Besides we already got the canning stuff out.

Forgot to mention what really started all this was my 5yo asking Mommy to make some more Dilly beans. She made 15 pints of dilled green beans for him. She is a great mom too!
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 11:43 PM

I've heard and tried lots of jams & Jellies... Corncob is way down the list with marmalade... but Watermelon sounds pretty good. I like Watermelon.

Will your Wife share her recipe?

#3 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 05:56 AM

havent had watermelon jelly for a long time mmmmmm
my step mom made tomato jam when i was younger and i always liked it also.

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 05:14 PM

I've heard and tried lots of jams & Jellies... Corncob is way down the list with marmalade... but Watermelon sounds pretty good. I like Watermelon.

Will your Wife share her recipe?

I will have to have her type it in for you. It would take me all night. She should be able to do it in a day or two.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 06:41 PM

It sounds interesting. I've never had it. I'll be interested in looking at the recipe.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 27, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Ok so I snuck on here since several of you have asked for the recipe. I just got done with my last run of jelly.

6 cups choped watermelon (rind removed) (this equates to approx 2 cups of juice in the event you forget to count your cups)
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar (if you cant find this then you can use white wine vinegar or lastly apple cider vinegar)
4 tbsp lemon juice
5 cups sugar
1 stem lemongrass chopped (**Note if you purchased the dried lemongrass from the spice section use approx 2-3 stem. Soak them in warm water first it will help them to chop easier)
2 pouches liquid pectin (we have Surejell Certo brand here)

to get juice from watermelon: crush watermelon cover and heat gently over med.low heat for 5 minutes. remove from heat and crush throughly. You will then need to transfer to a dampened jelly bag. If you dont have one a good old clean pillow case does the trick. Allow juice to drip undisturbed for atleast 2 hours

measure 2 cups juice, stir in vinegar, lemon juice, lemongrass, and sugar. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat then stir in both packets of pectin. boil hard stiring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam. fill jars place lids on jars. Put filled jars in a water bath and process for 10 minutes. once done remove from water bath and allow to cool.

If you dont make much jelly if you put approx 1/4 tsp butter in with the juice/vinegar mixture (before add pectin) it will reduce the amount of foam you have to skim off GREATLY!

Yes I know this sounds like an odd mix but trust me it is really good! Hope you enjoy!
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 09:26 PM

I assume that was Mrs Coldone? Thank you.
It does seem an odd mix, but also good. Learned a long time a go that the ingredients list isnt always a good indicator of the taste.

Heck, i winced at "peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches" until I tried them.

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I like watermelon and I like jelly, so sounds like something I would like on my toast.
I once had some pumpkin butter.....kind of like apple-butter....It was really good...if you like pumpkin.

Edited by KC9KAS, June 30, 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 05, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Definitely sounds interesting and might give it a shot. I think the kids would like it more then I would. I do like watermelon though.