sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 06:42 PM

I had new old stock and a really nice piece on the Hd-12 that I thought would be a good candidate to scan.
I had taken the new old stock to the local NAPA store a while back. They scanned it and gave me the sheet on the correct formula for the red color.
So when I saw the piece on the HD-12 I figured I would have them scan it mainly to see if it would have the same formula as the NOS piece.
So I was surprised when the color on the screen was "red".... No long formula like before.
I know Daniel has done this before but I like the research part and was curious whether all the colors would match. Was hoping to find a common formula for them all.... But that does not seem to be on the cards. So when I paint my bush hogs, I am leaning toward "red" at this point.

Edited by sacsr, June 24, 2012 - 07:26 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Is it close to IH red Scott? That is what Wheel Horse used for several years, old Farm-all Red.

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I bought cans of IH red, NH red, (already had Massey Red) and I think Ford Red....painted on one piece of metal all the colors.
I am pretty sure I ended up "liking" IH red the best and felt it was close to the NOS.....I painted a battery holder with the IH red today.....will see how it looks tomorrow compared to the 2 parts I used for the scans. I think this will be more of ones personal taste since I am thinking there were probably more than 1 shade of red for these GT's. I can be a little over the top on these things.....sometimes over research before I do something.....just my nature.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I will be waiting for you to post the pictures Scott. :thumbs:

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 08:20 PM

If they were with paint like with engines, then likely the color shades did change a bit. They were good about using what was readily available.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Well went down to my local NAPA store today and after talking to the paint guy bought a pint of Prairie International (Red).......it is an acrylic enamel made by Dupont. Nason is on the label and it is their "fast dry" machinery and implement paint........1 stage.....just use with a reducer and start painting. I am hoping to do some painting by July 4th so will let you know what I think. My first time not using a rattle can....anyone already used this paint and want to give me some pointers.....I am all ears.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Scott, Did you ever come up with a good match on the paint?

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 10:45 PM

I am using " red" fom napa nason line. It looks pretty close. Honestly I think several of my "original" red colors are different colored.

Either tomorrow or friday, I have to go up to wilson, nc. I am told on of the guys there is pretty strong at matching up paint. I m going to take the wheel of the aerator and another "good" red part and see what he comes up with.

I have painted the wheels on the dump JD yellow right now. But with the aerator wheels I should be able to get a good read. Will let you know.

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well ..he "shot" the "red" parts. Here is the conclusion.

Red part off of Hd-12 interior part: color is Carson's Equipment Nason #692435IE

Red part from an old NOS part (which is a little more flat looking red)- 1991 toyota 3H7 Nason formula 511616IE

Red part I recently painted from the original scan off the HD-12 part listed first - 1991 Suzuki 37V Nason 512356IE. - the nason formula off the can is for "red" I will find out that formula tomorrow . Interesting it did not read this color as "carsons equipment" like it did for the original piece.

Will try to take a picture that shows the different contrasts but I don't expect it to Work.

Hope that helps. All these reds are pretty close in color.

I am going to try a new yellow tomorrow to see how it matches up to the aerator wheel color. Will you know how that turns out.

Edited by sacsr, October 05, 2012 - 08:36 PM.

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Scott, pick up a can of "Wet Look Hardener". You won't regret it if you do. Makes the paint shine forever! Only thing is, it makes the paint chip a bit easier, but I use it on almost everything I paint. It also prevents "lifting" if you have to recoat it later.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#11 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Red used from original scan of the Hd-12 parts a month a so ago was called Praire International nason# 448144IE

That is what I painted some of my dump cart parts a week or so ago.

#12 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 02:10 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349550331.228975.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349550351.808564.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349550363.438587.jpg

Okay, you can see the aerator color (which I feel is a pretty good example of the original red color/tint), the trailer tongue that was painted with Nason Prairie International, and the piece laying on the top of the aerator is an original new old stock part.

Like Daniel I think there are several hues of red on these garden tractors. Just got to pick what you like and go with it.

I m probably just going stay with prairie international based on this comparison. What do y'all think?

Edited by sacsr, October 06, 2012 - 02:14 PM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 03:29 PM

Scott, The trailer tongue looks good in that red. i like it..
  • sacsr said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Steve and I say you have a match. That's about as close as you can get according to my monitor.
  • sacsr said thank you

#15 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Okay working on the "yellow" color for the rims and hubs. Learned a valuable lesson yesterday. When you go to the "local paint mixing" guru and he suggests a chip color..... Use it! I thought a lighter color matched the rim color better so we went with my choice. The small rim with the tire is from the original aerator, the lighter color was my pick, and the golden yellow is John Deere yellow. His color choice was between mine and JD yellow. I think he was much closer to the correct color.....like I said, next time I go to an expert for advice, I am going to take it.
Again, like Daniel and I have found with the red, i think the yellow color probably ranged in color over the years as well.

I am going to try to compare one more yellow original part with the 3 already pictured. I still think I see a good bit of true yellow in some of my other rims. I will try to find another good color comparison picture to post as well.

These pictures were taken on a overcast day......ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349623654.029000.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349623668.760002.jpg

Edited by sacsr, October 07, 2012 - 10:37 AM.