• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 07:39 AM

Looks like it should be capable of running it's attachments. Main challenge may be in the 15HP repower. Anybody know what engine this was supposed to have? If a twin, might have been an 16/18 HP. Might need that to run that tiller.

#17 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10298
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 02:50 PM

From the reading I have done it is supposed to have a 16 hp motor, the one in there is a 15. the next size up was an 18 and that was as large as the 6100 series went.
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Well, I'm having a little problem, the plug seems to be too long for this motor. I bought another and it did fire a couple times but nothing els. when I pulled it out the contacts were mashed together.

guess it is back to thye store at lunch tomorow
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 11:13 PM

You might want to check and make sure it has a head gasket on it. Also check with your parts store and make sure you are using the right heat of plug.

#20 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 02:50 PM

thanks for the suggestion Texas

I looked all over to find a reference for the plug to use and it looks like a RC12YC is the one and I did put that in. The threads are messed up in the hole I don't know if that would be enough to throw it off in to the travel of the piston. So it will need a helicoil to repair that.

While I had the plug out I put my finger on the hole and cranked the motor, it seems to have decent compression but it a nasty looking brownish liquid in there. It does produce a good spark.

#21 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 09:14 PM

I got it to fire up tonight, it looks like Texas Deere was right though I think the carb is going to have to come off, the only way it would keep running is by feeding it starting fluid.

I think the head should really come off and I should run a tap through the spark plug hole and then put a helicoil in there, the threads are pretty sad looking.

Has anybody ever ported and polished the head on these? Is there a source for a nicer looking exhaust? I'm thinking a pipe that goes down and to a horizontal muffler.

#22 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 30, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Today I drained the gas, took the carb off and cleaned it out, I think the bowl was full of water. Put it back together and it started right up. I plan to pull the head off and fix the cross threaded spark plug hole, but it might wait for a bit. I'd like to figure out the tiller attachment.