21 replies to this topic

#1 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10298
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hello, this is my first day on the forum and first post. Please excuse my ignorance on garden tractors and their abilities.

I just bought a project tractor, a Simplicity 6116. The reason I wanted it is because it came with a roto tiller and I'm a bit tied of fighting the little 2 stroke tiller I have been using in my garden. I also was hoping to use it to level off a part of my propeerty to put a shop on.

The ad said "it will run if you charge the battery" so I took the batteru out of my Troybilt riding mower with me whenI looked at it, The tractor would not start but that didn't really upset me because I figured I could get it running. I gave the guy $200.00 for it, the mowing deck and the roto tiller attachment, was that a decent price?

I'm wondering though just what can a garden tractor like this do that my lawn tractor/riding lawn mower that has 7 more horse power can do. Any thoughts on this?

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 03:32 PM

Welcome to the site! Thank you for signing up! I don't know how new your other tractor is, but a lot of new tractors are over powered and don't need all of the engine they are given. I would bet the simplicity can do quite a bit! Some of the simplicity guys will be able to help you better. Also, everybody likes pictures so share some if you can!
  • jdbark1952 said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 03:59 PM

jd., Welcome to GTtalk. Does the engine turn over and not run or doesn't turn over. The 6116 is a Lawn Tractor with a vertical mounted engine, 16HP I believe. If it's not firing, you may need to clean the Carb., You need to see if it has spark and or fuel. We'll get you up and running, it will just take some checking things on your part. Good Luck..

#4 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Sorry, I just had not taken my camera out there yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • KennyP and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#5 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 04:22 PM

It turns over, does not start. I've not yet checked for spark. Whenwe were trying to get it going at his place it did fire two or three times but it did not run. We wor my battery down cranking it. We did try to prime it with some gas but no go.

The guy told me that he got it from somebody that was having his property taken back by the bank. He said when he got it there was a twin motor in it that was frozen, he threw that away and picked up a used 15 horse B&S single cylinder motor and that is what is in there right now. I can't find a choke on it just yet and it looks like the throttle cable is not very well attached. I think th motor that is there is very similar to what it had.

#6 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Texas Deere, ouch, tell me it ain't so, another lawn tractor is not what I was looking for. I never hear of a lawn tactor that was rated for a tiller attachment to be powered off of its PTO. Inside the hood it list belts needed for the drive belt, mowing deck and the tiller. But I guess you are right, the owners manual I ofund lists it as a lawn tractor.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:04 PM

I would check for spark, but it sounds like you have sparky. My guess would be to clean the Carb., and check the gas tank.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Being that it was built in 81 and that it's a Simplicity, it is very well built tractor. It maybe considered a light/medium duty garden tractor. It will serve you well. Does the engine sit with the crankshaft in the vertical orientation? I think they are called a Yard Tractor.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Don't get me wrong, they are a very capable tractor. It will do what you are trying to do. :thumbs:

#10 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Welcome aboard and take deep breaths. As much as you might want it to jump right up and do everything, patience will be a very important tool. It seems like you have at least one guru workin' with you on this issue., more are sure to weigh in and help you get things going. sorry to hear about the original engine gone, and there are times when the past owner does things that are not so 'helpful'. Good luck, thanks for posting, we'll be watching the progress and again..

:welcometogttalk:

#11 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it seems to be capable.

I'll sure come and ask questions if I need to. I'm not without experience with motors. I was raised in a time and in a family that if you were a guy, you could work on a motor, or you were not a guy. I have fixed and rebuilt automotive motors from four cylinders to V8's. I also have worked on motorcycles and my Troy bilt lawn tractor.

I went out and shot some starter fluid into it and it did not even try to run. Tomorrow I'll get a plug for it and see if that helps. If that does not get it going I'll take the carb off and see what it looks like.

Texas, yes it is a verticle shaft motor. Sounds to me like the fellow that had it before the guy I got it from took the orignal motor out and put perhpas a B&S vangard in itand then managed to ruin it. The guy told me he pulled it out of a tall bunch of weeds when he got it.

#12 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 10:57 PM

With that background, IMO, this could be a great start of some good times, you don't have to be needy to stop by, no pressure, just a slight possibility of addiction, that's all. By the way for the money, with the package you got, it's a good deal (with a few bugs to work out.) Was that plug fowled as well ?

& Have you checked this section ?
http://gardentractor...lis-simplicity/

#13 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 11:14 PM

I have not yet pulled the plug out, just figured it would do no harm toreplace it and they are cheap enough that a spare is not a problem. I'm all for doing the easy stuff first and then moving on to harder stuff.

#14 jdbark1952 OFFLINE  

jdbark1952
  • Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 01:18 AM

OK, I pulled the plug, it was wet and smelled like gas. I looked at it and the was no gap, the guy I got it from must have dropped it or something and did not look at it before he put the plug in the motor. I'll post a pic later but the electrodes were touching so no way could it have sparked. I'm still going to buy another plug but i'll also gap this one and see if it works.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,312 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 07:27 AM

Gap Sounds like the big problem.
Looks to be a very capable machine for what you're going to do with it. Rule of thumb on GT vs LT is the 5 bolt rear wheel. Still, that company made a very solid machine and if they say it's rated for tilling, then I believe them.

Congrats and good luck.