#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 06:51 PM

Don't see anything on here for Golf Cart questions, so gonna try here. Looking at an older Club Car golf cart to trade stuff for. Is two stroke with oil injection a Robin Engine and Jap electric motor/gen and items. I heard it run. Engine runs forward and backward for drive, no trans for that. BUT, does have belt drive clutch/trans like on snowmobiles that is NOT moving on the engine end. Makes little run on and rattling sound as it spins once engine gets shut off. Am I looking for troublle with Robin brand and are those drives hard to get parts for? Not sure year or model of cart at this time. Has no top, but has a nice heavy dump platform on back. No rear seat. One big cushion for front bottom is kinda rotten on the wood base, cover could be saved. Steers pretty good, has new tires, small 8" wheels. Seems to be metal body, but must have some plastic over it or lots of mudd, something. Rear corners are pushed in some and creased. What ya think? No top or frame for one, but probly could make or buy easy. He wants $500 for it as is with drive issue, figured about $1000 fixed. Could trade one of my GT's for it if I wish.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 08:59 PM

The drive clutch could be rusted in place and the flyweights aren't enough to break it loose. Or it could be the clutch was over rev'ed and is in little pieces under the cover and the sound is those little pieces being tossed about when it slows down. The drive clutch requires a special puller to remove.

There are many after market suppliers for the parts and Club Car still stocks most parts. Club cars claim to fame for the last 25 years or so is their use of aluminum frames which don't corrode as fast as other brands steel frames.

There should be a data plate down under the dash and if you could get the numbers off it I can get the year and model for you. Most golf carts I have been around came with 18 X 8.50-8 tires with a variety of tread patterns and 4 lugs on 4" spacing rims. I have a great pair of tires mounted on wheels, if you are interested please PM me..

$500 seems a little steep but most of the items you described are fairly easily repaired. Lots of folks are buying them to play with though.

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Glgrumpy I have a 95 club car carryall that I bought non running 10 years ago.....it has an aluminum dump on the back.....mine came with a kawasaki motor and most I have ever seen had kawasaki's in them. Clutches bought new are expensive....back then I opted for a used clutch and think I still paid $150 plus dollars.....that being said ....I have not had to replace it since. Club cars claim to fame is their aluminum frames.......I paid back then $350 but the motor was shot and it was from a buddy so it was a "good buddy" deal....would have been worth $500 plus easily back then just for the body.........bought a rebuilt motor from a guy in alabama and think I had about $850-950 in it at that point.......seats are just boards cushion and cover so not a big deal to repair or replace....I had to replace the board in mine.
Pictures will help getting an idea of what is original and what is owner options......These carryalls I think are a little beefier than the regular golf carts.....can you find out what model it was??

#4 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Ive got a 6.5 horse Robin engine on a go kart. Its been a great engine. It sat outside with the muffler off and got a bunch of water in the engine and the piston seized up. I put a big pair of vise grips on the crankshaft, and broke the engine loose. Put in some gas and she fired right up and is running great to this day.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 10:28 PM

I thought the Robin engine was tied in with EZGO? Mom and Dads was a great, trouble free engine until someone "borrowed" it and overheated it. I think they seized the valves. Keep the fins clean and it should do you well unless you're planning on running it full out down country roads for hours on end.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 11:04 PM

81, you're my right hand man on this forum! YES, think I made a mistake on model. Looking like a EZGO Marathon model. One page shows 88 to 94.5, yet 2 cycle listed from 76 to 88'. I was thinking 70's myself. This unit does NOT have aluminum frame. It has a square tube with miracle bends for main frame, then the engine area is heavy 1.5" or so round tubing. Body is Metal. Almost looks like the body could be lifted clear off the frame if one wanted to build his own design, say wood??

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 10:26 AM

NP Grumpy, glad i could help.

Hey, BTW, I didn't have my coffee in me yet. I now do and am moving the thread to the Off Topic area.

I am leaving a link in the Garden Tractor forum for now, so people can still find it.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 05:34 PM

OK for move, thanks for link! Have some numbers of the cart if anyone can make sense of them?

Serial 293615

Code GO 783

Robin Engine

Model Ec25-2PG or maybe 6 on end?
244cc
Motor # 83-06187
FuJi Heavy Industries Japan

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Since the Robin engine has been mentioned several times in this post. what is the proper oil to gas mixture on one of these Robin engines in an EZGO?

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 06:38 AM

This one has oil injection system, much like motorcyles had in 70's. Seperate tanks for oil and gas. Not sure what oil to use yet, not sure if you can still get cycle kind easily anymore or not? The little pump is mounted out on the flywheel end of the outer cover. Not sure how it works, off the crank end? or what?

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 06:46 AM

Grumpy, we always used quick silver in it. Never an issue. For the first 3 years, Dad wouldn't trust the injector alone and mixed a 32:1 for the gas. I got tired of fouling plugs and asked him to stop. yes, it runs off the crank, end of crank has a slot in it that meshes with pump shaft.

One of my theories on why the engine gave up after the theft is they hit the oil pump with a stick taking it thru the woods. May have caused it to quit pumping.

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 26, 2012 - 11:15 AM

Well, been very informative topic for Me anyway. Decided to pass on the rig, maybe find newer, nicer one. I think my Snapper I was gonna trade for it, was a nicer piece, couldn't see it go as trade. Darn cart is big too and takes up even MORE room than a GT does.