• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 03:12 PM

I finally pulled apart my mowing deck that's been sitting around for 30 years or so. The only major problems were the belt was broke apart and one idler pulley was rusted up and froze. The spindles are all tight and move smoothly. Tractor supply sells the pulleys. Not sure about the belt. I want to sandblast and repaint this deck. Also blades need replacing. I downloaded the parts list for it, but is there such a manual or something about setup and adjustment? I see where the rear wheels could setup in various holes. Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by pharmer, June 23, 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 23, 2012 - 03:29 PM

Do you have a picture of your deck?
Bolens used about 3 different mounting systems on their decks
As for blades, there used to be an aftermarket available but due to there not being a big demand for these blades they ceased production. There are still genuine blades readily available for around $23 each.
  • pharmer said thank you

#3 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 01:46 PM

As for blades, there used to be an aftermarket available but due to there not being a big demand for these blades they ceased production.

Sounds like we need to get all of the Bolens guys on here to start a letter writing campaign to get them to start making replacement 38" and 42" deck blades again then!! Show them that if they advertize it right and Bolens guys know where to get them that they can sell them!

#4 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 09:05 PM

I actually found a couple of sites that sell them for around $9 each. If my can't be sharpened that's where I'll get some. When I get a chance I can research and post the vendors for all to see.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 06:37 AM

I actually found a couple of sites that sell them for around $9 each. If my can't be sharpened that's where I'll get some. When I get a chance I can research and post the vendors for all to see.

Those are probably Old Stock.
You have to make sure they match the Bolens part number as well, because the blades for a 42'' tubeframe deck are different from a 42'' deck on a XL series. ( I have tried)
  • MailmAn said thank you

#6 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 05:11 PM

The length, width and hole size/spacing are listed exactly. Do the p.n. still have to match? And how would I know. They are listing them under the P.N. listed on the Bolens Deck Parts List. Is it best to call and verify or trust the info provided?

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 05:29 PM

The length, width and hole size/spacing are listed exactly. Do the p.n. still have to match? And how would I know. They are listing them under the P.N. listed on the Bolens Deck Parts List. Is it best to call and verify or trust the info provided?

If the part numbers match then they should fit. The new part number for the 42'' deck blades is 1721299
  • pharmer and MailmAn have said thanks

#8 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 12, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yes sir. That's the number I've been referencing when I search. Not all the vendors use that number in their description so I'll be aware of the ones who do, and still call before ordering for the measurements. I really appreciate all your input on these Bolens questions. You"re like the one stop source for information.