sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 12:24 PM

From what I have observed the gasket on the shifter base and the rubber boot on the shifter both contribute to the problem of moisture getting into the case

I was figuring on the shifter being stuck on the shaft but did not expect to see that much rust and scale

#17 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 12:27 PM

The case is caste aluminum which changed to steel with the d4-10's

Etanking those gears could be a good way to clean those gears up

Once you get it torn down let me know if something is going to need to be replaced (not bearings and seals)
I may can help

Edited by sacsr, June 24, 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#18 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 01:46 PM

How does one E Tank? The shifting lever now moves with the help of WD-40. The gears on the top of the photo or the left side, those don't seem to want to move. The center gears still turn though.

With me, this has never been left outside in the bad weather, the person who owned it before me though, left it out, so that's likely where all the water came from. I'll get this torn down today.

Boy I'll tell yeah, the the clutch plate not wanting to go on the shaft of the engine easily, to this, it's not easy.

But thankfully I have great guys like you all to help me along and show support!

Tons of photos will be taken when I take this apart. I'll be sure to post them this evening once I make the room in the garage. Onward and upward!

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 01:51 PM

Here's a link to E-tanking steel parts: http://gardentractor... rust removal

But, one can clean the gears & shafts with a wire brush & some naval jelly. The jelly can be bought at most home supply stores & it breaks down rust. It & a wire brush should do well enough. But DO wear gloves & goggles. This stuff will eat on the skin & any gotten in your eyes will quickly end your fun!

#20 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 24, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thank you Daniel. That link you provided looks like fun. Safety 1st but fun. When repainting this D4-7 I did everything by hand. This looks much faster.

Looking over the D4-7 manual I have, the transaxle looks pretty intimidating. One piece at a time I guess.

#21 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 06:26 AM

Got the wheels off and trans axle up on the bench. The drain plug would not come off. It is stuck. Both axle assemblies are off and what I found was alarming.

The water was roughly 4oz, but under that was the nastiest, sludge I've seen in a long time. It wasn't high enough to touch the diff assembly, etc.

I will be taking some photos shortly. I'm having some issues getting the front off (brake). The retaining ring, how does that come out? Thanks!

#22 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 29, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Titus I found the same sludge in a couple of mine. From what I can tell.....most all of mine no longer had the gaskets under the base of the shifter and also the rubber boots were shot.......I cleaned up and replaced one of my transaxles and after running it noticed oil around the top of it.....from what I could tell, the gears were throwing the oil up as it turned and it was leaking out from under the shifter base.....I am going to use a thicker cork/rubber gasket this time when I make them. If you are talking about the retaining clip on the front of the brake (big round piece)....pretty sure I used a screw driver to pry it off.....after that I have had to use a puller on some to get the larger round brake drum off on some and others slid off easily.

#23 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm still having issues getting that big round piece off that covers the brake. The retaining clip, is it inside that slot in the center? I'm having such terrible luck with this, I'm paranoid to break anything. Everything else is coming apart with ease.

Edited by Titus, July 23, 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#24 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 02:35 PM

I used a pulley puller to take one of mine off......when I did not own one.....I use to go to autozone and "rent" one.....you pay them full price but they refund your money when you bring it back....(something like that)......I now have 2 pullers......well worth the investment.

There is only one clip and it is on the outside of the round piece.....around the shaft up against the brake drum (round thing)........I have used ring pliers or a pick to get it off in the past.

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yes, like Scott said, the clip should be on the outside of the drum. If you don't see one, then it's likely just gone. The drum will be tight, so use a puller like Scott said.

#26 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 03:11 PM

10-4, I will try the puller. Thank you guys!

#27 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Better late than never, while waiting on my starter to come in, I dug this transaxle out and working on that. I FINALLY got it apart. The piston shaft assy is being stubborn like everything else coming out, but it took quite a bit of time for the Aux Housing to come off. Any tips in getting that shaft assy out? Everything is just rusted solid and stuck to each other.

That drain plug is still not budging. I am afraid I'll break it or the casting if I give it a strong tug. I tried heating it with 0 results. Every pb blaster in the land has been applied to it too. Any ideas?

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Better late than never, while waiting on my starter to come in, I dug this transaxle out and working on that. I FINALLY got it apart. The piston shaft assy is being stubborn like everything else coming out, but it took quite a bit of time for the Aux Housing to come off. Any tips in getting that shaft assy out? Everything is just rusted solid and stuck to each other.

That drain plug is still not budging. I am afraid I'll break it or the casting if I give it a strong tug. I tried heating it with 0 results. Every pb blaster in the land has been applied to it too. Any ideas?

Not sure exactly what these parts are you're speaking of.  What is the "piston shaft assembly"?   The auxillary housing....are you talking about the gearcase on the front of the transaxle?  Which shaft, lower, or upper input?

On the drain plug....is it recessed, or square where you put a wrench on it?  Either way, if you got an air impact wrench, and a socket to fit (they make sockets for square heads), set to low power, the hammering action will loosen it up.  Leave it set to low for a bit, and if it doesn't start to move, up the power setting on the air wrench till she starts to come out.

#29 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sorry for the confusion Daniel, I was going by the transaxle manual. I removed the S2080 cover plate. That was a battle to get that off!

Figure 5 in the manual is what I was referring too as the piston shaft assy.  It's the large gear in the front once the cover plate comes off. That's not wanting to budge. The plug is square but the edges rounded off. I'll give the air wrench a shot once I find the right socket that's square for it. Thanks! 

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 13, 2013 - 12:46 PM

So you have the retaining nut & bearing off & the gear still refuses to budge?  Is there room to get a puller on the gear, or are things too tight.  Been a while since being inside one, so my memory fades.